Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are Cardiff able to compete?

Sun May 26, 2024 8:55 am

Luton are ready to make an opening bid for Coventry’s Ben Sheaf.

They’re willing to pay £12mill for the midfielder.

Don’t forget we had three years after we were relegated to have strengthened with the parachute payments.

Re: Are Cardiff able to compete?

Sun May 26, 2024 9:00 am

We don't have the money or the ambition, or available funds to stay within FFP from what I've read.

Luton are a well run club who I think will spend their parachute payments wisely.

Sun May 26, 2024 9:17 am

Roath_Blue wrote:We don't have the money or the ambition, or available funds to stay within FFP from what I've read.

Luton are a well run club who I think will spend their parachute payments wisely.

We did the first three years after relegation, but we just pissed it up the wall.

Little Luton Town with home Support of 9,000 and we can’t compete with them, Very Sad.

Sun May 26, 2024 9:28 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:We don't have the money or the ambition, or available funds to stay within FFP from what I've read.

We did the first three years after relegation, but we just pissed it up the wall.

Little Luton Town with home Support of 9,000 and we can’t compete with them, Very Sad.

Annis, that is very sad... :cry:

Sun May 26, 2024 9:39 am

Luton had a wage bill just under £25m in the premiership So they have really cashed in well If they buy correctly they will have a good chance of going back up. Not sure many of their players are on the radar of other clubs either.

Sun May 26, 2024 9:51 am

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis, that is very sad... :cry:

It’s gutting Chris, absolutely gutting.

Sun May 26, 2024 9:51 am

Abergavenny wrote:Luton had a wage bill just under £25m in the premiership So they have really cashed in well If they buy correctly they will have a good chance of going back up. Not sure many of their players are on the radar of other clubs either.

Luton have learned by their mistakes in the past, We never do.

A well run club, us well a shower of shit.

Sun May 26, 2024 10:12 am

I think all clubs are able to compete

It's whether they are willing to take a risk - in regards to fees/wages - to win promotion money

We were competing until perhaps 4 or 5 years ago when we've "cut back" on spending

Clubs have 2 options

Cut costs to survive
Risk it all to earn big bucks

Sun May 26, 2024 10:28 am

Said previously clubs have got wise to how to manage parachute payments spend little in premier league go down spend bit more on quality go back up and repeat until good enough squad to stay in premier league ! No coincidence last few seasons more relegated clubs fighting top 6 and getting promoted straight back up.... the amount of clubs outside parachute payments getting top 6 get less and less as seasons go by... there are exceptions obviously like ipswich! Parachute
payments need to go as what clubs get comes out of efl money given by premier league so producing distorted league just like top 6 in premier league is.. Still the most important thing is good manager decent players (don't have to be £12m) and of course support of the Board/owners

Sun May 26, 2024 2:07 pm

Only 2 years of parachute payments if you come straight back down I think

Sun May 26, 2024 3:01 pm

Bambasbestbuddy22 wrote:Only 2 years of parachute payments if you come straight back down I think

But get 100m+ every season for being in premier league so if you go cheap when promoted parachute payments won't matter ..... think the amount is reduced rather ghan not have any at all? But garauntee won't be out of pocket as this is why premier league want to keep the payments while EFL want them gone ! Musnt forget something like 60% of what efl gets in payments per season go to relegated clubs in way of parachute payments ...

Sun May 26, 2024 3:41 pm

Scrap parachute payments as it leaves relegated clubs with a huge financial advantage.

Sun May 26, 2024 3:44 pm

Weren't we 6th highest paying wages this season? If that's sustained, then yes..!

Sun May 26, 2024 4:02 pm

JulesK wrote:Scrap parachute payments as it leaves relegated clubs with a huge financial advantage.

Never use to but now clubs are savvy as to what and how spend the payments? Leicester Leeds Southampton kept squad together totally unfair advantage .... Leeds are going to lose at least 4 of star players or fall foul of ffp that's the jepody of failing to go up with premier squad..... always exceptions like ipswich...... soon have two teir league like premier unless its changed...

Sun May 26, 2024 5:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

It does put it into stark reality and all these lost years were all entirely avoidable if fundamental structural changes were made at the top. And it still could be and needs to be as its the only way VT will get at least some of his £250M back.

Let's hope we get a bit of good news soon on EB and the budget, as MD said we are aiming for a top 6 finish. I'm hoping the delay has been EB playing hardball for a realistic budget to achieve this, which he should be as MD has said that is the aim.

Sun May 26, 2024 5:44 pm

Does anyone know Sir Michael Moritz,Cardiff born and bred and the richest Welshman in the World worth 4.6 billion and apparently very generous giving his money to worthwhile cause, surely Cardiff City are in this category!

Sun May 26, 2024 5:53 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

It does put it into stark reality and all these lost years were all entirely avoidable if fundamental structural changes were made at the top. And it still could be and needs to be as its the only way VT will get at least some of his £250M back.

Let's hope we get a bit of good news soon on EB and the budget, as MD said we are aiming for a top 6 finish. I'm hoping the delay has been EB playing hardball for a realistic budget to achieve this, which he should be as MD has said that is the aim.

Correct Paul,

If we had been run properly all these years then your right we would be in a different position and should of been challenging up the top end of the table.

Sun May 26, 2024 5:55 pm

Didn't we spend our parachute money on duff players like Bacunna? Appalling

Sun May 26, 2024 6:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Correct Paul,

If we had been run properly all these years then your right we would be in a different position and should of been challenging up the top end of the table.

The £250M equates to two and a half times the budget you would need to have a reasonable chance of sustainable PL football if run properly and spent wisely. That is the reality.

We should be where Brighton are now if not better. And we have a much bigger potential fan base of 1.5M people, are a one club capital city and with superb infrastructure.

This should not have been this difficult.

Sun May 26, 2024 7:30 pm

No matter how well A club is run it doesn't take much for relegation to hit you or be in decline ?.... city can compete but it takes a decent manager a decent squad and half decent ownership to succeed? But even then that doesnt garauntee success teams get relegated after years in a league ( besides them up m4) to me even if get new owner can't see relative success for 4 or 5 years simply because football today doesn't allow the time for manager to build a team before gets sacked.... even a successful manager like mckenna at a very well run club is thinking of going after getting promotion all be it to a bigger
club so continuity will be gone if he goes. :roll:

Sun May 26, 2024 7:32 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Does anyone know Sir Michael Moritz,Cardiff born and bred and the richest Welshman in the World worth 4.6 billion and apparently very generous giving his money to worthwhile cause, surely Cardiff City are in this category!

Doesn't matter who he is or what he's worth. He isn't interested in city.

Sun May 26, 2024 7:40 pm

That can change if he's asked by us nicely

Sun May 26, 2024 8:00 pm

£12 million for Ben Sheaf says otherwise…

Sun May 26, 2024 8:10 pm

cardiffboy1995 wrote:

£12 million for Ben Sheaf says otherwise…

Who's Ben sheaf? Watch a lot of footy but never geared of him.. :o

Sun May 26, 2024 8:13 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:Does anyone know Sir Michael Moritz,Cardiff born and bred and the richest Welshman in the World worth 4.6 billion and apparently very generous giving his money to worthwhile cause, surely Cardiff City are in this category!

Doesn't matter who he is or what he's worth. He isn't interested in city.

Lives In usa! far as know got no homes in Cardiff married an American lady and gives half his wealth away to good causes .... Oxford uni got around 100m in two donations Being one good cause..