The real problem at CCFC

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The real problem at CCFC

Postby Bakedalasker » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:23 am

The real problem at CCFC is the amount of managers we have had at the club since the Dave Jones era.

Under Dave Jones who served us for 6 years we knew what we were getting. One minute good football the next crap. Since then we just haven't a clue what we will get. Under Mackey we got boring but efficient football. OLE was a massive mistake that took us back 5 years. Slade sent us to sleep but got us stabilised while Trollope was the biggest mistake. Warnock was the bit of fresh air we needed but circumstances out of his control made it difficult for him to continue. Harris was up then down and now we are going through the same with MM.

Each new manager has inherited the previous managers squad and for me its been very clear that the new managers ways cannot work with what he has inherited. So this results in us going through a transition before we get it right. For me Mackey and Warnock were prime examples of that. So when we do get it right and get out of this league why oh why don't we move onto the next step?

We can conclude that changing managers has not served us well. One season in the Premier followed by several season in the Championship with all its frustrations I fear it will eventually push us back down to the lower leagues. Hopefully MM will break this mould. We as fans will need to get behind him but that is difficult when you get performances and results like the other night. This summer is going to be the most important one we will have for many a season. I fell we need to get rid of some of the crap from previous regimes and replace them with signings that give us some hope. We have not had much of that over the last decade or so.
Bakedalasker

The real problem at CCFC

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The real problem at CCFC

Postby Sven » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 am

Hard to disagree with that, Ian, so I won't... :thumbup:

Maybe we should also look at the recruitment process, as of the managers we have had in recent years (notwithstanding Mick McCarthy is still new to his current role) we were right to get rid of all but Neil Warnock (and even he is open to opinion) for their lack of taking the club forward

I believe Mick McCarthy will steady the ship and may even take us forward over the next 12 months but we need to be planning for the longer term right now, if we are to move forward at the pace the club's hierarchy say they want to

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but I was told that there is a strong possibility that Craig Bellamy will be involved going forward and he will be well supported

Time will tell on that one; but it is the type of brave decision the club will soon need to make
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Escott1927 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 am

Bakedalasker wrote:The real problem at CCFC is the amount of managers we have had at the club since the Dave Jones era.

Under Dave Jones who served us for 6 years we knew what we were getting. One minute good football the next crap. Since then we just haven't a clue what we will get. Under Mackey we got boring but efficient football. OLE was a massive mistake that took us back 5 years. Slade sent us to sleep but got us stabilised while Trollope was the biggest mistake. Warnock was the bit of fresh air we needed but circumstances out of his control made it difficult for him to continue. Harris was up then down and now we are going through the same with MM.

Each new manager has inherited the previous managers squad and for me its been very clear that the new managers ways cannot work with what he has inherited. So this results in us going through a transition before we get it right. For me Mackey and Warnock were prime examples of that. So when we do get it right and get out of this league why oh why don't we move onto the next step?

We can conclude that changing managers has not served us well. One season in the Premier followed by several season in the Championship with all its frustrations I fear it will eventually push us back down to the lower leagues. Hopefully MM will break this mould. We as fans will need to get behind him but that is difficult when you get performances and results like the other night. This summer is going to be the most important one we will have for many a season. I fell we need to get rid of some of the crap from previous regimes and replace them with signings that give us some hope. We have not had much of that over the last decade or so.

I agree, each manager has a new way of playing and therefore each time we get a new one, a transition and clear out is required. Instead of kicking on, a rebuild is needed.

Mick did brilliantly when he came in and I was quite happy with his contract extension, all the concerns I had about his appointment seemed to have gone. But the last 6 games have been very poor and its so frustrating to watch a team that cant string more than 3 passes together before aimlessly smashing a longball. A team that relies on a long throw to create chances isn't getting anywhere near promotion. Injuries have played a part in our poor performances but mick hasn't adapted, at all, in recent games. The defensive must not lose approach, that I was concerned about seem to be coming the way its going to be. Weve seen how quickly form can change so hoping this is just a blip - but I'm not too optimistic much will change.

Sick of saying it, but the sooner we move away from hoofball the better. Its teribble to watch and very predictable. Start with a ball playing CB and CM and build the team around them.
Escott1927

Postby Bakedalasker » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am

Escott1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:The real problem at CCFC is the amount of managers we have had at the club since the Dave Jones era.

I agree, each manager has a new way of playing and therefore each time we get a new one, a transition and clear out is required. Instead of kicking on, a rebuild is needed.

Mick did brilliantly when he came in and I was quite happy with his contract extension, all the concerns I had about his appointment seemed to have gone. But the last 6 games have been very poor and its so frustrating to watch a team that cant string more than 3 passes together before aimlessly smashing a longball. A team that relies on a long throw to create chances isn't getting anywhere near promotion. Injuries have played a part in our poor performances but mick hasn't adapted, at all, in recent games. The defensive must not lose approach, that I was concerned about seem to be coming the way its going to be. Weve seen how quickly form can change so hoping this is just a blip - but I'm not too optimistic much will change.

Sick of saying it, but the sooner we move away from hoofball the better. Its teribble to watch and very predictable. Start with a ball playing CB and CM and build the team around them.

That's exactly what they were saying about Darren Moore who insists they play it out from the back. Well it worked very well for them last night.
Bakedalasker

Postby Bakedalasker » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 am

Sven wrote:Hard to disagree with that, Ian, so I won't... :thumbup:

Maybe we should also look at the recruitment process, as of the managers we have had in recent years (notwithstanding Mick McCarthy is still new to his current role) we were tight to get rid of all but Neil Warnock (and even he is open to opinion) for their lack of taking the club forward

I believe Mick McCarthy will steady the ship and may even take us forward over the next 12 months but we need to be planning for the longer term right now, if we are to move forward at the pace the club's hierarchy say they want to

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but I was told that there is a strong possibility that Craig Bellamy will be involved going forward and he will be well supported

Time will tell on that one; but it is the type of brave decision the club will soon need to make

Well for me its been desperate until we have had to get it right.

After the sacking of Malky we got it all wrong until Warnock came in. Perhaps that is a bit unfair on Slade who did what he had to do and richly deserved another season. Thing is he was not the right guy to take us forward once the ship was steady. We needed a Warnock then but we went for Trollope. Desperation at its best and it cost us promotion that season.

I also personally feel the appointment of Harris was a desperate move. Harris inherited a fractured squad and did well at first but for me was again not the right guy to take us forward. I felt we should have gone for someone like Pulis who I believe would have got us up.

We now have MM and after a good start it looks like we are going to fall short. Most of us don't have an issue with that as we are all relieved its not a relegation fight we are in. As said earlier this summer will be telling or not.
Bakedalasker

Postby Escott1927 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:39 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

That's exactly what they were saying about Darren Moore who insists they play it out from the back. Well it worked very well for them last night.

We havnt got the players to do it at the moment but its the direction the club needs to work towards.
Escott1927

Postby Welshman in CA » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:00 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Maybe we should also look at the recruitment process, as of the managers we have had in recent years (notwithstanding Mick McCarthy is still new to his current role) we were tight to get rid of all but Neil Warnock (and even he is open to opinion) for their lack of taking the club forward

Well for me its been desperate until we have had to get it right.

After the sacking of Malky we got it all wrong until Warnock came in. Perhaps that is a bit unfair on Slade who did what he had to do and richly deserved another season. Thing is he was not the right guy to take us forward once the ship was steady. We needed a Warnock then but we went for Trollope. Desperation at its best and it cost us promotion that season.

I also personally feel the appointment of Harris was a desperate move. Harris inherited a fractured squad and did well at first but for me was again not the right guy to take us forward. I felt we should have gone for someone like Pulis who I believe would have got us up.

We now have MM and after a good start it looks like we are going to fall short. Most of us don't have an issue with that as we are all relieved its not a relegation fight we are in. As said earlier this summer will be telling or not.

Can't disagree with most of that but I don't think Pulis would have been the right person to take us forward, promotion maybe but pushing on after that is doubtful. In my opinion we would have ended up in the same place we did with Warnock, back in the championship after relegation. The long term is not 1.5 seasons which is the revolving manager go round we seem to have been stuck on since DJ.
Welshman in CA

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:43 pm

I think he may steady the ship next season with a mid table, boring, long ball game but I’d like to see a complete change in the system or the ‘philosophy’ which is the buzz word these days.

We missed that boat recently with his appointment.

The way he steadied the ship has been admirable but, personally, I would have liked him here short term.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:50 pm

THE CCFC COMMITTEE NEED TO KEEP A MANAGER FOR STABILITY AT OUR CLUB / BUT THE RIGHT MANAGER :bluebird: :bluebird:

Our two Most successful managers Malky Mackay & Neil Warnock they turned on to quick and since then have struggled and the facts are there.

And our club has actually only survived on the moneys they brought in to our club well over £400mill and of course the success they both achieved.

This season our club only survived on the last of the monies Warnock brought in £36mill.

11 years the CCFC Committee have been in total control.
Attachments
EF668CF5-6057-47AD-9A54-0A399E7AB951.png
EF668CF5-6057-47AD-9A54-0A399E7AB951.png (691.45 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby moonboots » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:08 pm

I've watched a few U23s and U18s games lately on Cardiff City TV and it's like chalk and cheese from watching the first team. These kids can really play...and I do mean kids, as the 23s are packed with 17-20 year olds who play out from the back, pass and move the ball quickly through midfield, have pace, vision and skill and know where the net is.
I know that most are not yet ready for championship football but there are four or five very promising lads there. We need to build on this as, unless we find some big time finance from somewhere, I think the future has to be a combination of developing our own academy and developing our scouting network so we can attract very good youngsters from smaller clubs than us. If it means that we can move the ball around like our youth teams and be competitive in the championship, personally I'll settle for that.
moonboots

Postby maccydee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:20 pm

Second line for me.

Knew what we were getting one minute good football next crap.

So we didn’t know really? :D

But as fans we simply won’t give time to anyone to let them build, even if a manager does well the minute we lose a few games they get stick.

It’s not just us it’s at lots of clubs and it’s why you see the trigger happy chairman behave the way they do.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:21 pm

moonboots wrote:I've watched a few U23s and U18s games lately on Cardiff City TV and it's like chalk and cheese from watching the first team. These kids can really play...and I do mean kids, as the 23s are packed with 17-20 year olds who play out from the back, pass and move the ball quickly through midfield, have pace, vision and skill and know where the net is.
I know that most are not yet ready for championship football but there are four or five very promising lads there. We need to build on this as, unless we find some big time finance from somewhere, I think the future has to be a combination of developing our own academy and developing our scouting network so we can attract very good youngsters from smaller clubs than us. If it means that we can move the ball around like our youth teams and be competitive in the championship, personally I'll settle for that.

Maybe Morison would be a good shout as a future manager?
maccydee

Postby skiprat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Don't Watford change their manager as often as most people change their pants?.look where they are now
skiprat

Postby Danny Says » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:08 pm

It’s one problem but not the only one.
Danny Says

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm

skiprat wrote:Don't Watford change their manager as often as most people change their pants?.look where they are now

So what is the difference between them and us?
Bakedalasker

Postby skiprat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm

They are heading back to the premier league
skiprat

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:38 pm

skiprat wrote:They are heading back to the premier league

:D I hadn't noticed.
Bakedalasker

Postby skiprat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:10 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
skiprat wrote:They are heading back to the premier league

:D I hadn't noticed.

Obviously not just shows you can chop and change managers and still be successful
skiprat

Postby Bluebina » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:41 am

The current problem is that MM had a great system that fitted the players and we've lost Bennett, Morrison, NG (although if fit should fly back in and Kiefer is knackered.

This system was all about quality wingbacks that could play the system both going forward and defending, both were good defending with and without the ball.

We look like a different team.
Bluebina

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:33 am

Bluebina wrote:The current problem is that MM had a great system that fitted the players and we've lost Bennett, Morrison, NG (although if fit should fly back in and Kiefer is knackered.

This system was all about quality wingbacks that could play the system both going forward and defending, both were good defending with and without the ball.

agree... bit disappointed with Mick sticking with it though...
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:08 pm

skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:The current problem is that MM had a great system that fitted the players and we've lost Bennett, Morrison, NG (although if fit should fly back in and Kiefer is knackered.

It has been dissapointing and frustrating to watch. Hopefully morrison and NG are back for Saturday. At least the defence will be more balanced.

Don't want to see a lineup like Monday again. Wilson and ojo/Murphy need to start instead of Williams and bacuna.
Escott1927

Postby montyblue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:18 pm

If you take what open post said about changing manager was it more reason to find a young manager who will stay the distance how long will mick be here if you are talking about a steady under dave jones
Quite a few people have pointed frustration at micks lack of changing things up when its obvious it needs a change harris had that problem fear of f..king it up or making it worse
Example
moore is been flogged and shouted at from the sidelines when clearly he needs a break but mick cannot see it according to some.
montyblue

Postby Escott1927 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:00 pm

montyblue wrote:If you take what open post said about changing manager was it more reason to find a young manager who will stay the distance how long will mick be here if you are talking about a steady under dave jones
Quite a few people have pointed frustration at micks lack of changing things up when its obvious it needs a change harris had that problem fear of f..king it up or making it worse
Example
moore is been flogged and shouted at from the sidelines when clearly he needs a break but mick cannot see it according to some.

Mick knows he's knackered, he's said it in multiple interviews. He's the outlet for the defence and helps out in defending corners etc as well.
The issue is we have no one to replace him as we are so dependant on the longball. The consequence of that is that Moore is knackered and less effective.
Escott1927

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:13 pm

and how did managers that stuck around fair ? DJ ? no stability because he had to constantly sell and prior to that jimmy Scoular who did finish 3rd once and had a few good cup results but also finished bottom half 6 times and one place above the drop 4 times in 9 years... when he eventually went in his 10th season he finished very much as he had started... 2 wins in 13, hadnt won an away game in 2 years and in the relegation zone...
skidemin

Postby Crayfish » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:07 pm

I agree McCarthy found a good system that worked for us for a while but I think one of the reasons it'd worked so well was new manger effect and the ferocious work rate the team put in for a couple of months. It was not realistic to keep up that sort of work rate without running players into the ground paticularly Moore. It is obviously ludicrous that a championship side should have only one forward that the manager considers can play up front.
Crayfish

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:20 pm

It seems that others (nt too far away) have done this :-
A background setup that try and work on recruitment, bring through kids from academy, a style / method that is ingrained into every member of the playing staff and players.

Identify a manager that fits into this whilst bringing in their own ideas. That way when the manager does move on - it doesnt mean everyone else has to start from scratch with a new manager.
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby Bluebina » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:21 pm

skidemin wrote:

Totally agree if you don't have the players sometimes you have to change the system :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Dennis » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:36 pm

Club needs stability, so now McCarthy will suit Tan as MacCarthy is happy t operate without funds, i see Ipswich all over us now
Dennis

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Dennis wrote:Club needs stability, so now McCarthy will suit Tan as MacCarthy is happy t operate without funds, i see Ipswich all over us now

well if its to be a period of no investment and your of the opinion Mick will keep us stable its not just VT he will suit its all of us....
skidemin

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:59 pm

skidemin wrote:
Dennis wrote:Club needs stability, so now McCarthy will suit Tan as MacCarthy is happy t operate without funds, i see Ipswich all over us now

well if its to be a period of no investment and your of the opinion Mick will keep us stable its not just VT he will suit its all of us....

You don’t half talk some sense ;) :D :clap: be careful on here talking sense like that :D
Ponty Bluebird

Next

Return to General Chat