MATCH THREAD: " BLACKBURN R v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:00 am

Blackburn Rovers win
60%
Cardiff City win
20%
Draw
20%

Total votes : 40

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:00 am

BLACKBURN ROVERS v CARDIFF CITY
Saturday 3rd October, 3pm
Sky Bet Championship
Ewood Park

Cardiff City XI (4-2-3-1): Smithies; Osei-Tutu, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett; Bacuna, Pack; Ojo, Tomlin, Hoilett; Moore.

Subs: Day, Bamba, Cunningham, Vaulks, Ralls, Murphy, Glatzel.

Match to be played in front of no supporters, for information on how to watch the match on TV or to stream it - see below
What's the team news?

Cardiff City are sweating on the fitness of Joe Ralls and Joe Bennett, both of whom returned to training only on Thursday.

The duo are both struggling with calf injuries, with Bennett thought to be further along the line in terms of recovery, having partaken in a full training session on Thursday, while Ralls only went through a light training session.

Lee Tomlin and Josh Murphy are both in contention for this weekend, too, having both suffered niggles in the last few weeks, but Neil Harris said the prospect of them playing the full 90 minutes is "quite unlikely".

Isaac Vassell is the long-term absentee, having yet to fully recover from a quad injury.

Meanwhile, Blackburn Rovers will be without Joe Rankin-Costello for Saturday's visit of Cardiff City after sustaining a hamstring injury in the victory over Derby County last week.

But Tony Mowbray is hopeful of Corry Evans and Sam Gallagher returning to supplement his first-team squad.

Lee Tomlin fit to play :bluebird:
Joe Bennett fit to play :bluebird:
Joe Ralls doubtful
Josh Murphy 50-50

1st October 2020

Tomlin and Murphy, available for 90 minutes?

NEIL HARRIS:

NH: Quite unlikely.

Both have been on the training pitch today which is great for us. They are players who are hugely important to us.

When they are on the pitch they are players who have that maverick nature, flair.

They give the ball away at times as well but we have to accept that. But they are players who we miss when they are not involved on matchday.

Those two, on top of Joe Ralls and Joe Bennett, are players I certainly hope to have available this weekend.

NEIL HARRIS:

Team news :bluebird:

Joe Bennett and Joe Ralls updates?

NH: Both trained today which is really good news. Benno is further down the line than Rallsy. Benno did the full session today, Rallsy the lighter session.

Hopefully they train tomorrow and ready for the weekend.Update: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Joe Bennett & Joe Ralls are back in light training, hoping they are fit for Blackburn away this Saturday.

There is a good chance that Lee Tomlin might start for the first time this season.

How can I watch this match on TV?

For those who are season ticket holders, you can watch the match for free on Cardiff City TV.

For non-season ticket holders who want to watch the match, you can purchase a match pass from Cardiff City TV for £10.

About Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn Rovers Football Club is a professional football club in Blackburn, Lancashire, England, which competes in the Championship, the second tier of the English football league system.

The club was established in 1875, becoming a founding member of The Football League in 1888 and the Premier League in 1992. In 1890, Rovers moved to Ewood Park. Blackburn Rovers have been English champions three times, and have won six FA Cups, one Football League Cup and one Full Members' Cup. The club has spent most of its existence in the top flight of English football.

In 1992, Rovers gained promotion to the new Premier League a year after being taken over by local entrepreneur Jack Walker, who installed Kenny Dalglish as manager. In 1995, Rovers became Premier League champions. In the 1998–99 season, the club was relegated. It was promoted back to the Premier League two years later, in the 2000–01 season. It has qualified for the UEFA Champions League once, and the UEFA Cup six times: once as League Cup winners, four times through league position and once via the Intertoto Cup.

The club's motto is "Arte et Labore", meaning "By Skill and Hard Work" in Latin. They have a long-standing rivalry with nearby club Burnley, with whom they contest the East Lancashire derby.

Previous Meeting 

Blackburn beat us 3-2 at Cardiff City Stadium in July.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Blackburn Rovers: Kaminski, Rankin-Costello, Lenihan, Williams, Bell, Holtby, Johnson, Rothwell, Dolan, Armstrong, Brereton

Cardiff City: Smithies, Osei-Tutu, Morrison, Nelson, Cunningham, Bacuna, Pack, Vaulks, Hoilett, Ojo, Moore

Form - Last Three Games

Derby County 0-4 Blackburn Rovers
Blackburn Rovers 5-0 Wycombe Wanderers
Newcastle United 1-0 Blackburn Rovers

Cardiff City 1-2 Reading
Nottingham Forest 0-2 Cardiff City
Cardiff City 0-2 Sheffield Wednesday

Match Odds

Blackburn Rovers - 23/20
Cardiff City - 5/2
Draw - 11/5

Predictions

Post your predictions below  :thumbright:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: LATEST NEWS " BLACKBURN ROVERS v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH TH

Postby Sven » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 am

Another tough tie and I'm not one to predict the outcome; but the Bluebirds need to get back into the groove I order to stem the tide of pessimism quickly building up around the club right now

Early days but we are/can be a fickle and often mischievous support base when it's not going our way! :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 am

City need at least a draw here to try and get their season back in track :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby thomasblue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:11 am

Can't see us getting anything from this game.

Under harris the trend seems to be When our hopes are up we end up losing to teams we should beat whilst playing poorly

When we are down we go and win games we don't expect to and play well.

We have no consistency whatsoever

This game is tough and I have gone for a hopeful draw but expect a loss
thomasblue

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:27 am

I really can’t see us beating Blackburn tbh, all we can hope for is a draw but then again City always seem to surprise me either way. Here’s hoping :ayatollah:
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Escott1927 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:05 am

If Blackburn continue to play like they have been and we continue to gift goals away then I can see us losing 2 or 3 nil again. Hoping for a defiant city performance and at least a draw.
Escott1927

Postby Plymuff Bloobird » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:07 am

I am fully expecting a defeat on current form from both teams.
Plymuff Bloobird

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:28 am

"IF" we beat them is this another flash in the pan like forest? :shock:
pembroke allan

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:55 am

When teams come to Cardiff, they sit back and try to make City play through them and they just haven't got enough creativity or guile to do it.

Away, teams seem to be far more attacking against City and City are far better-equipped to hit on the break through their wingers. That is the main difference, in my opinion.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:57 am

Update: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Joe Bennett & Joe Ralls are back in light training, hoping they are fit for Blackburn away this Saturday.

There is a good chance that Lee Tomlin might start for the first time this season.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby skidemin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:When teams come to Cardiff, they sit back and try to make City play through them and they just haven't got enough creativity or guile to do it.

Away, teams seem to be far more attacking against City and City are far better-equipped to hit on the break through their wingers. That is the main difference, in my opinion.

you are right but with no demanding crowds and therefore results seemingly no longer favouring home teams how long before teams both home and away figure out if they sit in behind the ball and allow us the lions share of possession its only a matter of time before we gift them chances while creating very little ourselves...
skidemin

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:19 pm

Blackburn are extremely good going forward but their fans aren't sure about them defensively.

Personally find it hard to see anything other than a home win, and I'm normally positive since Harris took charge.

Hope I get proven wrong. We did win our other away game this season, albeit against a poor Forest side.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby theclaw » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:19 pm

Strange as it seems playing away might just help us,fingers crossed 1-3 :thumbup:
theclaw

Postby llan bluebird » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Can I watch this on City TV ? I thought not. I watched the forest game on sky

For those who are season ticket holders, you can watch the match for free on Cardiff City TV.

For non-season ticket holders who want to watch the match, you can purchase a match pass from Cardiff City TV for £10.

[
llan bluebird

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:35 pm

theclaw wrote:Strange as it seems playing away might just help us,fingers crossed 1-3 :thumbup:

Cannot vote against us. Just cannot do it. Sorry.

C'mon City.

3-1 Blackburn

:bluebird:
Big Hill Blue

Postby gergisabluebird » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:25 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Can I watch this on City TV ? I thought not. I watched the forest game on sky

[

I believe you are correct - we are unable to watch weekend Away matches via the deal offered.

The original statement read: -

The new framework for season ticket holders allows clubs to have the option to provide streams of:

All home matches, including those shown live on Sky,
Any midweek away match, including those shown live on Sky.
Clubs cannot provide access to any away weekend match, live on Sky or not, within a season ticket package.
gergisabluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:34 pm

gergisabluebird wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Can I watch this on City TV ? I thought not. I watched the forest game on sky

[

I believe you are correct - we are unable to watch weekend Away matches via the deal offered.

The original statement read: -

The new framework for season ticket holders allows clubs to have the option to provide streams of:

All home matches, including those shown live on Sky,
Any midweek away match, including those shown live on Sky.
Clubs cannot provide access to any away weekend match, live on Sky or not, within a season ticket package.

Thought had to pay for all games with st? Home games via voucher with fan having small amount taken off st credit.... also the midweek games same thing... was Saturday away games all fans paid £10 per game?
pembroke allan

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 pm

pembroke allan wrote:"IF" we beat them is this another flash in the pan like forest? :shock:

Ffs allan, it's 3 games in,not 30 :lol: flash in the pan :lol: in that case,the 2 losses were flash in the pans then :laughing5: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Re: TEAM NEWS; " BLACKBURN ROVERS v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THR

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 pm

1st October 2020

NEIL HARRIS:

Team news :bluebird:

Joe Bennett and Joe Ralls updates?

NH: Both trained today which is really good news. Benno is further down the line than Rallsy. Benno did the full session today, Rallsy the lighter session.

Hopefully they train tomorrow and ready for the weekend.Update: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Finishing on a fitness update

Tomlin and Murphy, available for 90 minutes?

NEIL HARRIS:

NH: Quite unlikely.

Both have been on the training pitch today which is great for us. They are players who are hugely important to us.

When they are on the pitch they are players who have that maverick nature, flair.

They give the ball away at times as well but we have to accept that. But they are players who we miss when they are not involved on matchday.

Those two, on top of Joe Ralls and Joe Bennett, are players I certainly hope to have available this weekend.
Attachments
0_Neil-Harris-press-conference-live.jpg
0_Neil-Harris-press-conference-live.jpg (74.67 KiB) Viewed 6056 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Blueman39 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:22 pm

Hoping to get something and would settle for a draw....no reason we can’t win if we defend better but that’s a big if!
3 games gone and gonna stay positive ....played very well away at NF so we can do it again.
Blueman39

Postby skidemin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:51 pm

Escott1927 wrote:If Blackburn continue to play like they have been and we continue to gift goals away then I can see us losing 2 or 3 nil again. Hoping for a defiant city performance and at least a draw.

all things considered a draw would be more than acceptable..
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:05 pm

The Bluebirds face a Blackburn side who have won their previous two Championship fixtures, setting the scene for a hard-fought contest at Ewood Park.

“Blackburn have been in good form in the last couple of weeks and scored some goals," continued Harris.

"They’ve got some good players, they’ve got an attacking intent about them, and some continuity in the squad from the summer. In Adam Armstrong, they’ve got a top striker at this level, so they’re a dangerous side at the moment.

“We're getting better, but we have to turn it into wins. And ultimately, that's what you’re judged on in football: winning games.

"Getting into the final third is not the issue, and we’ve had a lot of chances from set plays. It's that creative edge and spark around the box. We've had it in moments, but not sustained periods over the course of 90 minutes.”

Finally, Neil spoke about the importance of building momentum during the campaign, drawing inspiration from our post-lockdown run of form which helped to ensure a Play-Off place last season.

“Other teams have started like a steam train, but it will even itself out over the season," he added.

"We did after lockdown but we have to find that momentum quickly and we have to find it from within ourselves.

"That comes from me, getting the training right and the team selection right. And then the players, finding it within their hearts and heads to make sure they are at their best as well.”

"Now, we look forward to Saturday – I can't wait for it.”
TopCat CCFC

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:55 am

:thumbright: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Escott1927 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:11 am

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:If Blackburn continue to play like they have been and we continue to gift goals away then I can see us losing 2 or 3 nil again. Hoping for a defiant city performance and at least a draw.

all things considered a draw would be more than acceptable..

Id take a draw now. Give us something to build on. Too much doom and gloom on here already.
Escott1927

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:28 am

What are the odds?

Blackburn Rovers win: 5/4
Draw: 9/4
Cardiff City win: 9/4

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 am

What's the team news?

Cardiff City are sweating on the fitness of Joe Ralls and Joe Bennett, both of whom returned to training only on Thursday.

The duo are both struggling with calf injuries, with Bennett thought to be further along the line in terms of recovery, having partaken in a full training session on Thursday, while Ralls only went through a light training session.

Lee Tomlin and Josh Murphy are both in contention for this weekend, too, having both suffered niggles in the last few weeks, but Neil Harris said the prospect of them playing the full 90 minutes is "quite unlikely".

Isaac Vassell is the long-term absentee, having yet to fully recover from a quad injury.

Meanwhile, Blackburn Rovers will be without Joe Rankin-Costello for Saturday's visit of Cardiff City after sustaining a hamstring injury in the victory over Derby County last week.

But Tony Mowbray is hopeful of Corry Evans and Sam Gallagher returning to supplement his first-team squad.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:41 pm

What have the managers said?

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris: "Blackburn have been in good form the last couple of weeks. Scored some good goals, every opportunity they’ve had has gone in.

"They’ve got good players and attacking players, good continuity.

"They’ve added two and we’ve added three.

"They are a dangerous side at the moment, Adam Armstrong is a top striker at this level."

Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray: "The confidence levels in the team are good, we believe in what we’re doing and that it’s helping us get results.

"Cardiff are next. I talked last week about Derby, Cardiff and Forest being our next three games and it’s quite a tough ask against established teams who are always in, or around, the play-offs over the last few years with big expectations.

"Looking at their squad they have an experienced squad with a manager who knows what it’s all about. He’s done his apprenticeship at Millwall, he knows what he likes in football and how his teams play and what we do know is they will come and make it very difficult for us.

"We should expect a tough game but one we’ll look to impact with the way we’re playing."

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: MATCH THREAD: " BLACKBURN R v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THRE

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:44 pm

Match facts

Blackburn are looking to win consecutive league games against Cardiff for the first time since April 1985.

The last four league meetings between Blackburn and Cardiff at Ewood Park have ended level, playing out a goalless draw last season.

Blackburn Rovers have scored 11 goals in their opening three league matches, the most by a team in England’s second tier since Middlesbrough scored 12 in their first three games of the 1963-64 season.

Including play-off matches, Cardiff have won six of their last seven away Championship matches (L1), netting 13 goals in their six victories.

Blackburn’s Adam Armstrong has scored in his last five league matches, netting seven goals in total. The last Rovers player to score in six consecutive Championship appearances was Jordan Rhodes between December 2012 and February 2013 (seven in a row).

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: MATCH THREAD: " BLACKBURN R v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THRE

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Cardiff's last four outings at Ewood Park, 4 draws

Forever Blue
Admin

Next

Return to General Chat