Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CCFC / OCTOBER 5TH / NEIL HARRIS TO BUY NEW STRIKER?'

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:19 pm

When the transfer window actually closes for Cardiff City and what fans can expect to happen

The transfer window is quickly heading towards its conclusion and here is everything we can expect to happen

By Glen Williams

Monday 28th September 2020

Neil Harris is working extremely hard to bring in at least one more player in the near future and on Saturday he said he "hopes" the money from Paterson's sale will go towards recruiting another forward player. "I am hoping to use the £500,000 towards a new striker." “I am hoping I get to use this money.”

There is not much time left for Cardiff City to get their transfer business done.

But, as we all know, things can change so quickly in this hectic marketplace.

Here, we take you through when the deadlines are, what they mean and the work we can expect to see from both South Wales clubs before the window shuts for another few months.\

When is transfer deadline day?

The transfer window is set to close after 10 weeks on October 5.

Though, under the proposals, Premier League and EFL clubs will still be able to get deals done as part of a domestic-only window from October 5-October 16.

That window will close on Friday, October 16 at 5pm.

What is the domestic-only window?

The two-week extension will allow clubs to do deals between the Premier League and EFL clubs, as well as between EFL clubs, but top-flight teams will not be able to swap players between each other.

In a statement, the Premier League said: “During this window, clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations).

"No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period."

The EFL added: "The window for international registrations closes at 23:00 BST on Monday, 5 October, with an agreement in place with the Premier League for an extended two-week domestic-only window, which will close at 17:00 on Friday, 16 October."

It means both Cardiff and Swansea will be able to do business with Premier League clubs and other clubs within the EFL structure up until 5pm on October 16.

What business can we expect from Cardiff?

The international deadline in a week's time might not apply too much to the Bluebirds as it is far more likely they will do business between Premier League clubs or other EFL teams anyway.

In terms of outgoings, Callum Paterson is close to signing for Sheffield Wednesday, so we can expect that to be announced imminently in a deal worth around £500,000.

It means Neil Etheridge, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Paterson, three established first-team players, will have left the club without anyone coming in.

But do not expect that to be the case for long as Neil Harris is urgently looking for loan players to come in, he does hope to use the £500,000.

NEIL HARRIS:

Neil Harris is working extremely hard to bring in at least one more player in the near future and on Saturday he said he "hopes" the money from Paterson's sale will go towards recruiting another forward player. "I am hoping to use the £500,000 towards a new striker." " “I am hoping I get to use this money.”
“I want more players and more options to chose from.”

While City had been linked with a loan move for Fulham's Anthony Knockaert last week, Harris confirmed after the defeat by Reading that there had been no contact between the clubs.

But be in no doubt that an attacking player will likely be next through the door. Given Sheyi Ojo has been brought in on the wing, next on the manager's list of priorities is a playmaker to provide competition for Lee Tomlin.

Tomlin, of course, is still a huge player in this Bluebirds' squad. He is the reigning Player of the Season and undoubtedly City's most potent attacking threat, but he needs back-up and Cardiff need someone to fill in when he is not about. So a No.10 is a must.

Elsewhere, it would be ideal if another right back is signed. Jordi Osei-Tutu penned a season-long loan from Arsenal earlier in the window, but it will be asking a lot of a 20-year-old to churn out just shy of 50 games, if City are to stay in the FA Cup for any length of time.

They are well-stocked at left back, but on the other flank back-up is very much needed.

In terms of outgoings, it would be a surprise to see more players leave, given the sheer amount of squad-trimming Harris has had to do in recent months, unless ready-made replacements are available.

Perhaps the only player who might be wanting to seek game time elsewhere is Aden Flint, given the £4m defender is behind fan-favourite Sol Bamba in the pecking order at Cardiff City Stadium.

Flint is 31 and has a wealth of Championship experience under his belt and could well prove an attractive option for many second-tier clubs.

What is the latest on transfers from Neil Harris?

This is the most recent thing the Bluebirds boss has had to say on transfers...

NEIL HARRIS:

"We've got targets, people in particular I'd like to bring into the football club," he said on Saturday evening.

"It's difficult times at the moment, trying to balance books and making sure the manager has enough players at his disposal and I understand that fully, I've been doing the job long enough now.

"I believe we need more options. Would it have changed the result today? No. Defending better and being better with the transition of the ball would have helped to change the result.

"Moving forward, yes, I think we need to add to our group."

On whether there was anything imminent, Harris said last Thursday: "We are in the sense of information, hunting. I’ve been speaking to agents, clubs, seeing who is available.

“We will not be signing anyone before the weekend that’s for sure.

“From my perspective we could do with adding to the group, I always want options.

“I want different types of wingers, centre forwards, No.10s.

“I just feel maybe we could add to those options and it could benefit us.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' CCFC / OCTOBER 5TH / NEIL HARRIS TO BUY NEW STRIKER?'

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm

I really feel we need a number 10 like tomlin more than another striker we have moore and glatzel but nobody to supply and when tomlin is not on the field the servies is dier holliet looks more like a pensioner these days and cannot pass a defender nothing on the other wing worth mentioning so to me a number 10 or a winger that can cross a ball to the two trees we have up front.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm

We paid £400,000 for Calum Paterson, and Hearts asked for 15% sell on any for the future fee which we agreed to.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:We paid £400,000 for Calum Paterson, and Hearts asked for 15% sell on any for the future fee which we agreed to.

Yes there was a sell on clause because I remember Calum Paterson mentioning it when he joined us. I can't remember what the percentage was so we'll go with 15%.

However, normally it is 15% of any 'profit' made on the transfer. If we paid £400k for him then in theory we made a profit of £100k. So Hearts cut should be £15k. Obviously this is assuming the transfer and contract with Hearts included this clause and not one which would mean us paying £75k (15% of £500k) :o

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:44 pm

montyblue wrote:I really feel we need a number 10 like tomlin more than another striker we have moore and glatzel but nobody to supply and when tomlin is not on the field the servies is dier holliet looks more like a pensioner these days and cannot pass a defender nothing on the other wing worth mentioning so to me a number 10 or a winger that can cross a ball to the two trees we have up front.

That or a proper right back.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
montyblue wrote:I really feel we need a number 10 like tomlin more than another striker we have moore and glatzel but nobody to supply and when tomlin is not on the field the servies is dier holliet looks more like a pensioner these days and cannot pass a defender nothing on the other wing worth mentioning so to me a number 10 or a winger that can cross a ball to the two trees we have up front.

The EFL added: "The window for international registrations closes at 23:00 BST on Monday, 5 October, with an agreement in place with the Premier League for an extended two-week domestic-only window, which will close at 17:00 on Friday, 16 October."
That or a proper right back.

Who the f**k is glenn williams
domestic window between EFL and the Premier league is open between 5 and 16 October ,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53417773

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:We paid £400,000 for Calum Paterson, and Hearts asked for 15% sell on any for the future fee which we agreed to.

Something we should have done a long time ago .

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:18 am

Why are we always so obsessed with forward players when it’s our defence that is the main problem.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 am

phildavies wrote:Why are we always so obsessed with forward players when it’s our defence that is the main problem.

its how we have been playing is the main problem...far to many predictable square nothing passes that are easy to cut out... individual errors our manager calls them but reality is play enough of them and some will go astray or be under hit..

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:40 am

We need more than one player in....a winger and a creative 10 should be minimum