Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Etheridge opens up on his 'difficult and frustrating' e

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:16 am

Neil Etheridge opens up on his 'difficult and frustrating' end at Cardiff City and why he joined 'sleeping giant' Birmingham City

The Philippines international was adored by supporters in the Welsh capital, but he sought regular game time elsewhere

By Glen Williams

Thursday 24th September 2020

Birmingham City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has opened up on his Cardiff City departure (Image: PA)
Neil Etheridge has admitted that the end of his time at Cardiff City was "difficult" and "frustrating" but is looking ahead to chapters new with Birmingham City.

The goalkeeper was loved by supporters in the Welsh capital, where he grew to become a fan favourite and was even crowned the Bluebirds' Player of the Season after their Premier League campaign.

However, a season blighted by a hamstring injury and transfer speculation afforded Alex Smithies the opportunity to show what he could do between the sticks and it is fair to say he took his chance with two hands.

Smithies himself narrowly missed out on being named the club's Player of the Season last year — he won the WalesOnline poll — as he helped City reach the play-off semi-finals.

Philippines international Etheridge, however, had to watch on from the sidelines as his team-mates embarked on an incredible run before and after lockdown and that, he conceded, was difficult to stomach.

NEIL ETHERIDGE:

“For any player not playing, it’s frustrating," he said.

"When you throw in the period of time that we weren’t playing due to Covid, and then coming back and Cardiff going on a fantastic run into the play-offs, then falling short, it was difficult.

“I loved playing for Cardiff and wanted to play and stay, but if your not wanted you have to move on.”

“[Birmingham] obviously wanted me for a long time and I knew that. They have given me the security and also the confidence to sign me on a long-term deal. It shows that this club really want to go in the right direction.”

Etheridge made a brilliant start, producing a fine performance against his old rivals Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium to ensure the Midlands outfit earned a point in a goalless draw.

Of course, everyone in this corner of the world knows just how good a goalkeeper he is and Birmingham, who could pay around £2m if add-on clauses are met, will be boosted by having someone of his calibre in the squad.

Aitor Karanka has sought to massively overhaul his squad this summer, making nine signings, in a bid to restore the club to its former glories of regular top-flight action.

Etheridge, too, believes the St Andrew's outfit have the ingredients to be able to do just that.

NEIL ETHERIDGE:

“It was one of those where there had been a lot of speculation about me leaving Cardiff for a long period of time now," the former Bluebird added. "I was into the last year of my contract.

“Regardless of the speculation I saw Blues as a team that really is a sleeping giant, a new man has come in, they have brought in experience – and more experience again this week.

“I really do think this club is progressing.

“I wasn’t just going to move for the sake of moving, after speaking to the manager and some of the players and knowing some people at the club I feel like this is a sleeping giant that can wake up.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Neil Etheridge opens up on his 'difficult and frustratin

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:52 am

Good player and did very well for us but I think he know the difference between “not wanted’ and someone else is playing better than himself at that time.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:04 pm

Was magnificent for us but he should accept Smithies deserved the shirt.

Disappointing to read it watching from the sidelines was hard to stomach.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:25 pm

theclaw wrote:Good player and did very well for us but I think he know the difference between “not wanted’ and someone else is playing better than himself at that time.

Smithies took his chance and played well - Good luck to NE ,

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:50 pm

Always dissapointed when an ex player makes crass statements, I always rated etheridge,but as happens,the number two has stepped up,and has been on top form since.till wish him all the best,as he served us well whilst here :old: :bluebird:

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:20 am

Shows a poor attitude

Lost his place and didn't want to have to fight to win it back .
Smithies waited nearly 2 seasons for his chance and didn't bitch about it.

We have the better keeper anyway, Etheridge was massively overrated here.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:50 am

thomasblue wrote:Shows a poor attitude

no mate if you can play every week at the same level and have a pay rise thrown in you take it....im sure Smithies would have too.. no idea what this fight for your place is either... its a nonsense , especially with keepers..

Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:38 pm

skidemin wrote:

no mate if you can play every week at the same level and have a pay rise thrown in you take it....im sure Smithies would have too.. no idea what this fight for your place is either... its a nonsense , especially with keepers..

You cant seriously belive they are paying him more than us ?

He may have a longer contract but that's it

Fight for your place in the team means get your head down , work hard in training and prove you should be playing . Not winge and bitch then leave at the first opportunity because you think you are too good to be on the bench.

He was number 2 for a reason

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:58 pm

Did a great job for us and I wish him well but still wouldn’t get ahead of Smithies imo

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:32 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Fight for your place in the team means get your head down , work hard in training and prove you should be playing . Not winge and bitch then leave at the first opportunity because you think you are too good to be on the bench.

your sat on the bench until the guy with the gloves either gets injured or has a very poor run...you know this everyone does...fight for his place in training ...jesus...you clearly hate him for no good reason.. and yes a four year contract for more money at birmingham and playing.. or sit on the bench and even if you beat smithies by a TKO in training your then earning less than the fella on the bench i doubt you or anyone else would take the 2nd option when put to them.....not that ive seen a whinge.. just a word a journo put in that was not a quote that youve jumped on... no idea what he has done to you..

Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

your sat on the bench until the guy with the gloves either gets injured or has a very poor run...you know this everyone does...fight for his place in training ...jesus...you clearly hate him for no good reason.. and yes a four year contract for more money at birmingham and playing.. or sit on the bench and even if you beat smithies by a TKO in training your then earning less than the fella on the bench i doubt you or anyone else would take the 2nd option when put to them.....not that ive seen a whinge.. just a word a journo put in that was not a quote that youve jumped on... no idea what he has done to you..

I dont hate him and he's done nothing to me

I have consistently said he is not a great keeper and most fans over rated him. That is all, its a opinion on a players ability That has been proven correct.

You fight for your place by showing a good attitude and working hard . Showing form in training and reserve games and making it impossible for the manager to leave you out not just sitting there feeling sorry for yourself because you allowed form to drop and are now out of favour. He could easily have made it back to being our number one this season but he chose to leave.

What they earn compared to each other is irrelavant .

He didn't exactly show fight to stay and jumped first chance he got to be a number #1 at a poorer team.

Smithies got his head down, played well and kept his place

In the past we've had great keepers on the bench

Tom Heaton did it for a number of years behind Marshall and didnt just sulk off.

It shows a poor attitude IMO