" Spurs given bye in Carabao Cup Third Round "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 am

Tottenham have been given a bye into the Carabao Cup fourth round after their tie with Leyton Orient was called off when a number of Orient's players tested positive for Covid-19.

The English Football League decided the League Two club must forfeit the tie having been unable to complete the fixture, in line with EFL rules.

Orient's league game at Walsall on Saturday has also been suspended.

Spurs will now face top-flight rivals Chelsea in the last 16 next week.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Spurs given bye in Carabao Cup Third Round "

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Orient should have played under 23 side and cleaners if had to they would have given authorities something to think about? Instead now lost £100k tv money...
pembroke allan

Postby WestCoastBlue » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:49 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Orient should have played under 23 side and cleaners if had to they would have given authorities something to think about? Instead now lost £100k tv money...

Seems odd they didn’t field a team. I know it’s different organisations but UEFA made Czech Republic field a team against Scotland after a Covid outbreak and they had something like 10 debuts and a stand in coach.
WestCoastBlue

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:59 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Orient should have played under 23 side and cleaners if had to they would have given authorities something to think about? Instead now lost £100k tv money...

Seems odd they didn’t field a team. I know it’s different organisations but UEFA made Czech Republic field a team against Scotland after a Covid outbreak and they had something like 10 debuts and a stand in coach.

Not sure why orient didn't put out just any old 11 players? After all premier clubs do......
It wasnt authorities who called game off otherwise spurs wouldn't have had a bye! Like say must be 100k lost ( newports fee if on tv v ncastle) presume efl ect to scared to force orient play with covid in team. :o
pembroke allan

Postby cardiff 74 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:20 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Tottenham have been given a bye into the Carabao Cup fourth round after their tie with Leyton Orient was called off when a number of Orient's players tested positive for Covid-19.

The English Football League decided the League Two club must forfeit the tie having been unable to complete the fixture, in line with EFL rules.

Orient's league game at Walsall on Saturday has also been suspended.

Spurs will now face top-flight rivals Chelsea in the last 16 next week.

I think orient have been unfairly treated In normal circumstances this game would have been played it’s not there fault a virus has effected most of there players how could they just put out any team when most people at the club have had to isolate West Ham games should have been called off has moyes and to others players had contacted the virus and they where already at there ground but they left the ground and went home how come the game went ahead
cardiff 74

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Jose ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby RV Casual » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:53 pm

They couldn't just put out the under 23s or any old team if Covid was 'in or around' the Club though could they, how iresponsible would that have been in the eyes of the authorities and how liable would they have been if a multi million pound Spurs player then got it and died, night night Leyton Orient.

Right decision to call the game off, absolutely disgraceful that they have been forced to forefit it.

Sets a precedent now though, if a Club calls a game off due to Covid then they lose the 3 points, very interesting and not a very well thought out decision by the League given what might be to come over the coming months. I can see the season turning into a farce if I'm honest.

Can see it now, outbreak of Covid in Chelsea Team, 5 players test positive, due to play Burnley but call game off, 3 points to Burnley.
RV Casual

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 pm

RV Casual wrote:They couldn't just put out the under 23s or any old team if Covid was 'in or around' the Club though could they, how iresponsible would that have been in the eyes of the authorities and how liable would they have been if a multi million pound Spurs player then got it and died, night night Leyton Orient.

Right decision to call the game off, absolutely disgraceful that they have been forced to forefit it.

Sets a precedent now though, if a Club calls a game off due to Covid then they lose the 3 points, very interesting and not a very well thought out decision by the League given what might be to come over the coming months. I can see the season turning into a farce if I'm honest.

Can see it now, outbreak of Covid in Chelsea Team, 5 players test positive, due to play Burnley but call game off, 3 points to Burnley.
Last edited by pembroke allan on Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:22 pm

RV Casual wrote:They couldn't just put out the under 23s or any old team if Covid was 'in or around' the Club though could they, how iresponsible would that have been in the eyes of the authorities and how liable would they have been if a multi million pound Spurs player then got it and died, night night Leyton Orient.

West ham had 3 positive tests 1 hr before game that was played! Whats the difference with orient?
pembroke allan

Postby stickywicket » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:23 pm

PERVERSE.
Spurs the P.LC who wanted to take furlough money/then borrowed 175 million off the government.Then sign Bale.
The world has gone mad.
stickywicket

Postby RV Casual » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:27 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

West ham had 3 positive tests 1 hr before game that was played! Whats the difference with orient?

Money and morals would be my number 1 guess ;)
RV Casual

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:09 pm

RV Casual wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Your probably right... but doing the right thing sometimes is not doing the right thing as orient have found out to tune of £100k
pembroke allan

Postby RV Casual » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Your probably right... but doing the right thing sometimes is not doing the right thing as orient have found out to tune of £100k

100k or a law suit from Spurs down the line for infecting one of their multi million pound players no brainer mate

They probably thought common sense would prevail, but it hasn't. I think it's a big mistake that will be used as a yardstick as we move forward
RV Casual

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:28 pm

I’m pretty sure I read that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy gifted Orient the money which they would have earned from the tie.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby Sam ReaN » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:33 pm

harsh on orient, its not even there fault they got the virus.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I’m pretty sure I read that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy gifted Orient the money which they would have earned from the tie.

Nice Touch :thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I’m pretty sure I read that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy gifted Orient the money which they would have earned from the tie.

Nice Touch :thumbup:

I second that,if true. :thumbup:
bluesince62

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 am

RV Casual wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

100k or a law suit from Spurs down the line for infecting one of their multi million pound players no brainer mate

They probably thought common sense would prevail, but it hasn't. I think it's a big mistake that will be used as a yardstick as we move forward

Grimsby game called off today because of virus but didn't ask efl who are now looking at this...... technically same as orient be interesting what happens...
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat