Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do we need a new supporters association in addition to CCST and CCSC?

You may select 1 option

View results

Do we need a new supporters association?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:02 pm

As there has been much discussion on this I thought I'd find out the views of people on here

Please add your comments as well as voting if you wish

I have made no secret that I am firmly in the No camp at this stage. I believe that given the fact that the Trust is so new, more effort should be made to strengthen it rather than start a new organisation now.

It is a democratic organisation, one man one vote with elections due soon so if people join, they can get the committee they want and go from there.

I have put a similar poll on the MM board as well

Re: Do we need a new supporters association?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:06 pm

there are probably in the region of 20,000 fans who dont use the messageboards, the poll will not reflect the views of City fans will it?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 pm

You could say that about any poll though.

At least here and ccmb does give a fairly varied viewpoint.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm

The Rhooster wrote:there are probably in the region of 20,000 fans who dont use the messageboards, the poll will not reflect the views of City fans will it?

Of course I realise that

But I can't afford to employ ICM to do a scientific poll and I'm sure as hell not going to phone a representative cross section myself

Anyway Annis has said that he has had a load of E_mails in support of a new organisation and this is one of the reasons he is backing it.

Won't most of those have come from those who read ths MB rather than the 20,0000 who don't?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:22 pm

The Rhooster wrote:there are probably in the region of 20,000 fans who dont use the messageboards, the poll will not reflect the views of City fans will it?

and unless this new group or the trust get 20000 members neither will either of us reflect the views of fans

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Sludge wrote:

and unless this new group or the trust get 20000 members neither will either of us reflect the views of fans

exactly right Sludge but witj another association appealing to another set of City Fans along with the Trust and the supporters club then more fans than ever will have a voice rather than a silent majority.

The Trust wont and doesnt appeal to everyone, thats not me knocking the Trust and the work it does its just fact.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Eddie May wrote:Without doubt the other groups have totally failed some say they were known as Ridsdales puppets.

well thats your view , I know of many who disagree

and the only time I have heard them called ridsdale puppets is from you

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

The Rhooster wrote:
Sludge wrote:

exactly right Sludge but witj another association appealing to another set of City Fans along with the Trust and the supporters club then more fans than ever will have a voice rather than a silent majority.

The Trust wont and doesnt appeal to everyone, thats not me knocking the Trust and the work it does its just fact.

I agree

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:43 pm

"Even though Cardiff City's Supporters Trust has not organised the forthcoming march in protest against the board's financial running of the Cardiff City Football Club, we fully support the aspirations of every individual fan to show their own personal dissatisfaction peacefully by joining the march this Saturday."

IMO If the Trust had released a statement along those lines in the week running up to the Middlesbrough game it would have saved itself a hell of a lot of grief.

Instead it tried the political line which left it looking foolish and indecisive. Now the spectre of a second supporters group is gaining momentum because a good percentage of fans question if the Trust has the fans at heart or its own pet projects.

Again this is only my opinion, but if the Trust wishes to start the process of building bridges with those it has clearly pissed off, then the first thing would be a public apology by the whole of the Trust Board to the organisers of the march.

They should then give a full commitment to consult with its membership on all important decisions from now on and even ask the likes of Annis Rhooster BigGwyn and Baz to come on board as advisors.

I’m sure the Trust Board will scoff when sees the last line, but if we are to unite then it cannot be a one way street and good faith has to be shown by those who up till now have made a right pigs ear of standing up to Ridsdale.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:"Even though Cardiff City's Supporters Trust has not organised the forthcoming march in protest against the board's financial running of the Cardiff City Football Club, we fully support the aspirations of every individual fan to show their own personal dissatisfaction peacefully by joining the march this Saturday."

IMO If the Trust had released a statement along those lines in the week running up to the Middlesbrough game it would have saved itself a hell of a lot of grief.

Instead it tried the political line which left it looking foolish and indecisive. Now the spectre of a second supporters group is gaining momentum because a good percentage of fans question if the Trust has the fans at heart or its own pet projects.

Again this is only my opinion, but if the Trust wishes to start the process of building bridges with those it has clearly pissed off, then the first thing would be a public apology by the whole of the Trust Board to the organisers of the march.

They should then give a full commitment to consult with its membership on all important decisions from now on and even ask the likes of Annis Rhooster BigGwyn and Baz to come on board as advisors.

I’m sure the Trust Board will scoff when sees the last line, but if we are to unite then it cannot be a one way street and good faith has to be shown by those who up till now have made a right pigs ear of standing up to Ridsdale.

Although I do not see the need for a second Supporters Association and fear it will cause division amongst fans suggestion you make some good points about ' building bridges '. There are some excellent people and ideas amongst those contemplating forming a new Assoc but how much stronger one Assoc/Trust would be if all the talents and opinions could be concentrated together ?

Could those who have in mind a new Assoc and the present Trust board perhaps not meet up asap to have an open honest debate about the way forward ? Unless people sit down together and listen to each others viewpoints we may be missing a huge oppourtunity to move forward as one.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:"Even though Cardiff City's Supporters Trust has not organised the forthcoming march in protest against the board's financial running of the Cardiff City Football Club, we fully support the aspirations of every individual fan to show their own personal dissatisfaction peacefully by joining the march this Saturday."

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:

We'e already had an apology from TLG for his remarks about the march. That's enough in my opinion.

Whilst I beieve in democracy and agree that now and again there will be a need to consult the wider membership, the whole point of electing a committee annually is that it then has the power and responsibility to make decisions on behalf of its members. if it has to keep going back to its members to make decisions it would be very unwieldy and expensive in time and money. If it gets things wrong it gets voted out at the next AGM, simple as that.

I'm not necessarily against bringing people on as advisors either. When i was a chairman of governors we brought extra people in now and again for their expertise. They couildn't vote on issues but could join in the discussions. However I ' think this is something that should be done sparingly, I don't see that you would need 4 or 5 at a time.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
We'e already had an apology from TLG for his remarks about the march. That's enough in my opinion.

Whilst I beieve in democracy and agree that now and again there will be a need to consult the wider membership, the whole point of electing a committee annually is that it then has the power and responsibility to make decisions on behalf of its members. if it has to keep going back to its members to make decisions it would be very unwieldy and expensive in time and money. If it gets things wrong it gets voted out at the next AGM, simple as that.

I'm not necessarily against bringing people on as advisors either. When i was a chairman of governors we brought extra people in now and again for their expertise. They couildn't vote on issues but could join in the discussions. However I ' think this is something that should be done sparingly, I don't see that you would need 4 or 5 at a time.

I take your point on the role of the Trust Board, but one of the pledges of the Trust is to consult with its membership and reflect its views. I really don't think relying on the elections to the Trust Board once every 12 months is satisfying that pledge.

Also I remember receiving emails when the Trust was first step up encouraging members to give their opinions on a number of issues, but they seemed to have stopped quite a while ago.

Also with regard to the march, that was an exceptional circumstance and common sense dictated that the TB should have made some effort to gauge the view of the membership.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Sludge wrote:

which is the very reason that an organisation with less than 5% of that 20'000 figure should not be putting statements out against a shareholder in the press.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:01 pm

If we have had 600 fans in the last few months asking for a new association then surely there is a need.
What are we to do ignore them. They know what alternatives are out there and they have chosen either to not join them or leave them.
I have said on another thread on here that you seem to want us to obstruct these fans by asking them to vote again. The thing that they like about this MB is that when a decision has been made action is taken.
If they wanted to join the other alternatives they would have already surely. If we delay or lose their trust do you think they will be kicking down the doors of the trust - NAH I really dont think so.

We are not in competition we are responding to a need that at present remains unsatisfied.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 pm

steve davies wrote:
Sludge wrote:

which is the very reason that an organisation with less than 5% of that 20'000 figure should not be putting statements out against a shareholder in the press.

So on that basis Steve if the trust had followed what you said and had not mentioned PMG in their statement they would also have been correct in not putting statements out against Peter Ridsdale.