Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Coe vs Sullivan

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:49 am

Should West Ham get the Olympic Stadium after 2012?

I find Sullivan a bit of a smarmy get and his statement that, 'building a temporary 80,000 seater stadium then reducing it to 25,000 just for Athletics is a waste of taxpayers money', a bit rich when he wants to get a stadium on the cheap.

Coe seems to have hit the nail on the head with him saying that, the vision was not to further the ambitions of a Premier League Football club.

The more and more I see stories like this, the more I feel the game has lost sight of what it should be all about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... adium.html

Re: Coe vs Sullivan

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:33 am

Sullivan has a point though, no stadium in this country will ever, ever, ever sell out for an athletics event unless it's an Olympic event. Even the Commonwealth games weren't that widely followed.

Nobody in this country gives a shit about a bunch of Africans running in circles to be blunt.

Might as well use it for something rather than build it and have another Millennium Dome after the Olympics. Look at the old Wembley, wasn't that used for the Olympics many years ago? Hertha Berlin's ground has a bit gap in it where the Olympic flame was back in the day. The Stadio Olimpico in Italy... well, case rested really.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:33 am

DaveSheffield wrote:Sullivan has a point though, no stadium in this country will ever, ever, ever sell out for an athletics event unless it's an Olympic event. Even the Commonwealth games weren't that widely followed.

Nobody in this country gives a shit about a bunch of Africans running in circles to be blunt.

Might as well use it for something rather than build it and have another Millennium Dome after the Olympics. Look at the old Wembley, wasn't that used for the Olympics many years ago? Hertha Berlin's ground has a bit gap in it where the Olympic flame was back in the day. The Stadio Olimpico in Italy... well, case rested really.

My point was more about Sullivan wanting something for (nearly) nothing for his club, that is potentially a money making machine just for him and a group of rich footballers. Coe is saying that the stadium would still need to hold athletic events in the future, Sullivan is either against this or is not willing to pay whatever has been quoted so that his club can have/use the stadium.

However, you make a more important point, we as football fans are a bolshy lot with our belittling of other sports that have no inward investment to see them attempt even a small step forward. The building off all Olympic facilities may be a catalyst for major improvement in many sports in the future and not just for one club in a game that already wastes it's money.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:50 am

Taxpayers should get the chance to decide .