Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea City reveal £14.6m profit

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Maybe now they can start buying back some of their stadium. :roll:

15 October 2012

Swansea City are poised to confirm a Premier League debut-season profit of £14.6m from a £65.2m turnover.
£5m of their income for 2011/12 came from compensation from Liverpool for manager Brendan Rodgers and his assistants, who left for Anfield.
The Swans lost £8.3m in the 2010/11 season that led to promotion from the Championship to the top flight.
A club statement said the turnaround was achieved despite operating costs, particularly wages, doubling in a year.
Swansea almost went out of business in 2002 before owner Tony Petty was bought out by a local consortium who have helped steer the Swans through the football pyramid.
On top of earning £32m per season for reaching the Premier League, clubs receive £500,000 for each place in the league plus a guaranteed £16m for two seasons should they be relegated, and further £8m for two seasons after that.
Swansea are pleased with their returns up to 31 May, 2012 in the wake of promotion to the Premier League.
The statement read: "Swansea City is set to confirm a profit of £14.6million following their debut campaign in the Barclays Premier League.
"The club is shortly due to release its full accounts for the year ending May 31, 2012, which reflects the club's successful first season in the Premier League with a 11th-place finish.
"The directors review of the business is set to reveal a turnover of £65.2 million, which aptly demonstrates the reward of achieving Premier League status, and a net profit after taxation of £14.6 million, despite operating costs, particularly wages, being double those of the previous year.
"The net profit, which was boosted by the £5million received from Liverpool for the loss of management staff, more than counteracts the net loss of £8.3 million incurred as a result of the cost of the promotion push in the previous financial year.
"The directors will reiterate their resolve to continue to manage budgets which should produce a level of profit capable of generating sufficient cash to fund future growth and capital investment plans."
Plans to create a £2.5m training facility at Landore in the city and forming a partnership with Swansea University to use some of their playing fields are also progressing.
And discusssions aimed at increasing the capacity at the Liberty Stadium are already underway "with the idea of a phased development over a two-year period when the timing is right".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/1 ... _source=tw

Re: Swansea City reveal £14.6m profit

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:44 pm

No one cares. You should make an account on Planet Swans, you seem to be obsessed with them.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Or maybe they should pay back some of the companies they stiffed for a penny in the pound!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm

JonCCFC wrote:No one cares. You should make an account on Planet Swans, you seem to be obsessed with them.

I hate them. Why would I make an account on their forum? :?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:04 pm

JonCCFC wrote:No one cares. You should make an account on Planet Swans, you seem to be obsessed with them.

I'm sure they care :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:13 pm

McNaughtyButNice wrote:Or maybe they should pay back some of the companies they stiffed for a penny in the pound!

Very true. :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:Maybe now they can start buying back some of their stadium. :roll:

How come you packed in your old RedBluebird Account to become another user? Are there any other usernames you have that we should be made aware of? :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:19 pm

£8 million loss last year after paying the promotion bonuses etc. £14.6 million profit this year, including the money from Rodgers joining Liverpool. Without the Rodgers money, over two seasons we wouldn't be far off breaking even! Even more crazy is the fact that we are going to be one of the few teams to post a profit in the Premier League, and these days are even seen by some to be a good example. (I'm well aware of our past!)

This isn't a pop at anyone, but there are a few posters on here who seem to think that getting promoted will be the way to start paying off your debts, I've said it many a time, getting to the Premier league isn't the answer. Not many clubs actually make much money in the Premier League.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 pm

scotsjack wrote:£8 million loss last year after paying the promotion bonuses etc. £14.6 million profit this year, including the money from Rodgers joining Liverpool. Without the Rodgers money, over two seasons we wouldn't be far off breaking even! Even more crazy is the fact that we are going to be one of the few teams to post a profit in the Premier League, and these days are even seen by some to be a good example. (I'm well aware of our past!)

This isn't a pop at anyone, but there are a few posters on here who seem to think that getting promoted will be the way to start paying off your debts, I've said it many a time, getting to the Premier league isn't the answer. Not many clubs actually make much money in the Premier League.

Good post.
Until clubs have to run at least even, football will continue to rot from the inside out. Swansea may be a small club and blah blah blah, but at least they have a stable foundation, and dont depend on the whim of individuals or tv money from one company.
There will be dozens more Portsmouths etc unless there are massive changes.
Modern football? Just say no.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm

scotsjack wrote:£8 million loss last year after paying the promotion bonuses etc. £14.6 million profit this year, including the money from Rodgers joining Liverpool. Without the Rodgers money, over two seasons we wouldn't be far off breaking even! Even more crazy is the fact that we are going to be one of the few teams to post a profit in the Premier League, and these days are even seen by some to be a good example. (I'm well aware of our past!)

Sensible stuff, from by far the best Jack poster on here :lol: . Although, our hope wouldn't so much be that the profits from PL footy will sort us, more that it will give the club a value and that the loans which we have will be converted to equity. I'd also expect - and this isn't meant as an insult - that we could cash in a little more than you have due to having a bigger stadium and being a bigger City etc, on top of the fact that we have Far East owners who are certain to utilise their market to get more commercial income.

You are right though, that it won't solve all our problems overnight.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Also consider the fact you finished 11th, so gained almost £5m more in prize money. If Rogers had done a rubbish job and you'd finished bottom there would have been virtually no profit at all :shock:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:43 pm

That would not even cover one weeks interest from Malaysiawonga.com :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Very clever to post the profits to may 31st though because the following months wage bill would have contained all the players bonuses that would have been paid out for keeping swansea in the premier league.
that apparantly ran into a few million.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:56 pm

So Swansea City are about to post a £14m profit and Swansea Council receive not a single penny in income from the Liberty Stadium.

How does that work then. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:

I hate them. Why would I make an account on their forum? :?

Because you seem to make a lot of threads about them, it would be more suitable on their forum

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 pm

steve davies wrote:

Very clever to post the profits to may 31st though because the following months wage bill would have contained all the players bonuses that would have been paid out for keeping swansea in the premier league.

I'm in no way, shape or form an accountant, but how do they benefit from doing that? It'll just show up on next years figures? In the same way, I didn't understand the benefit of rushing through the promotion bonuses to go on last years figures? I really have no idea about these sort of things. :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm

steve davies wrote:

Really nothing that sinister. Virtually all footy clubs run to May 31st and they would have used this date every year. It'll be 12 months whatever, and this time would have included their promotion bonuses if it didn't include staying up bonuses.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
steve davies wrote:

Really nothing that sinister. Virtually all footy clubs run to May 31st and they would have used this date every year. It'll be 12 months whatever, and this time would have included their promotion bonuses if it didn't include staying up bonuses.

These figures will include any staying up bonuses as the previous accounts included the promotion bonuses, which was the main reason for the loss in those accounts.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm

McNaughtyButNice wrote:Or maybe they should pay back some of the companies they stiffed for a penny in the pound!

How can we pay them back when we don't owe them anything.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm

You know nothing about the finiancial side of the club then. :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm

I hate the jacks with a passion but only a fool would ridicule their financial situation. Ours is a mess . :?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 pm

excellent post :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:54 pm

cardiff yid wrote:I hate the jacks with a passion but only a fool would ridicule their financial situation. Ours is a mess . :?

They don't pay people back though or own any thing. :?

We own our stadium, albeit by loans and they don't. If they did they would be in the same situation as us, no doubt.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:56 pm

A lot of you Redtits are very bitter ffs

Well done the Swans ;)

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:Maybe now they can start buying back some of their stadium. :roll:

15 October 2012

Swansea City are poised to confirm a Premier League debut-season profit of £14.6m from a £65.2m turnover.
£5m of their income for 2011/12 came from compensation from Liverpool for manager Brendan Rodgers and his assistants, who left for Anfield.
The Swans lost £8.3m in the 2010/11 season that led to promotion from the Championship to the top flight.
A club statement said the turnaround was achieved despite operating costs, particularly wages, doubling in a year.
Swansea almost went out of business in 2002 before owner Tony Petty was bought out by a local consortium who have helped steer the Swans through the football pyramid.
On top of earning £32m per season for reaching the Premier League, clubs receive £500,000 for each place in the league plus a guaranteed £16m for two seasons should they be relegated, and further £8m for two seasons after that.
Swansea are pleased with their returns up to 31 May, 2012 in the wake of promotion to the Premier League.
The statement read: "Swansea City is set to confirm a profit of £14.6million following their debut campaign in the Barclays Premier League.
"The club is shortly due to release its full accounts for the year ending May 31, 2012, which reflects the club's successful first season in the Premier League with a 11th-place finish.
"The directors review of the business is set to reveal a turnover of £65.2 million, which aptly demonstrates the reward of achieving Premier League status, and a net profit after taxation of £14.6 million, despite operating costs, particularly wages, being double those of the previous year.
"The net profit, which was boosted by the £5million received from Liverpool for the loss of management staff, more than counteracts the net loss of £8.3 million incurred as a result of the cost of the promotion push in the previous financial year.
"The directors will reiterate their resolve to continue to manage budgets which should produce a level of profit capable of generating sufficient cash to fund future growth and capital investment plans."
Plans to create a £2.5m training facility at Landore in the city and forming a partnership with Swansea University to use some of their playing fields are also progressing.
And discusssions aimed at increasing the capacity at the Liberty Stadium are already underway "with the idea of a phased development over a two-year period when the timing is right".

Some of the figures in that report are a bit out, Its £37m for finishing bottom not £32m and £720k a place not £500k

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:08 pm

steve davies wrote:

The bonuses will be in the 2012 accounts as that is the year they relate to.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 pm

mmmm dont you mean swansea directors/owners made 14 mil because certainly not spending money on players or the ground!!! where else is money going???? :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Tommytynansjockstrap wrote:A lot of you Redtits are very bitter ffs

Well done the Swans ;)

fffs where do we get these plonkers from??? like moths to a light bulb !here is another one! :lol:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:28 pm

castleblue wrote:So Swansea City are about to post a £14m profit and Swansea Council receive not a single penny in income from the Liberty Stadium.

How does that work then. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

called spongers!!! :D

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:mmmm dont you mean swansea directors/owners made 14 mil because certainly not spending money on players or the ground!!! where else is money going???? :lol:

Stadium expansion, training ground, acadamy.

The directors/owners haven't taken anything out of the club, they are all fans of the club. Something you can only dream about really at the moment.