Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DAVE JONES ??

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:48 pm

HONEST OPINIONS : With Cash Available to him and not having to Sell Players in January 2010(as long as The Malaysians deliver their side of the agreement), Will DAVE JONES Get Us Promoted This Season?

Re: DAVE JONES ??

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:51 pm

I'd rather we didn't have money with Jones. He seems to get the best players at a bargain price. I feel our squad has actually been better when we've had no money!

Hopefully Jones can be more astute though and get decent players in. I'd rather see us spend big money on wages for loan signings in January rather than permanent signings. Rarely do January permanent signings seem to work out well. Invest in loan signings in January and hit the transfers in the summer when we know where we'll be playing next season.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:53 pm

If he does get us up this season then he'll have done a cracking job. Should the money start rolling
in then I'd imagine he'll be set a target of getting us up next season...

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:54 pm

So you think he'll still be with us if we don't get promoted this season?

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:55 pm

Zabier wrote:So you think he'll still be with us if we don't get promoted this season?

The last think we want is impatient owners...look at QPR..,.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Yeah, I agree. However, if Jones hasn't gotten us promoted after however many years it's been now (4 or 5 come June?) do they have a right to bring their own man in? I'm a fan of Jones and would like to see him stay but I don't know if that will happen if he doesn't get us into the playoffs this season.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 pm

The question is "Does Dave Jones really want us to get promoted??"

He's a championship manager at best, and I think he's happy where he is, in the comfort zone of play-off chase while pocketing a high end six figure wedge to stand with his arms folded for 90 minutes a week, probably thinking more of which driver, Callaway or Hippo, to buy rather than wether to start Matthews or Quinn at right back. I think his desire has gone.

I sincerely hopes he reads these words and secures promotion just to prove me wrong.

If I am wrong, Cheggers will gladly shave his hair.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:59 pm

davebb wrote:
Zabier wrote:So you think he'll still be with us if we don't get promoted this season?

The last think we want is impatient owners...look at QPR..,.

Can you see Dave Jones "allegedly" trying to headbutt one of our players?? I hope he tries to butt Tony Gerrard, just to see what happens!!

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:03 pm

I don't know. I reckon Jonesy has the potential to be a bit mental. He has that vacant stare sometimes. In a fight between him and Gerrard I actually think Jones's experience might win! There's only one way to find...

FIGHT!!!

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm

I think we will have a very good chance. Newcastle look as though they may be too far ahead by the time the transfer window opens and they will also have many to spend but there is no reason we cannot get that 2nd spot if we cna bring in 3 or 4 players in January. I think we will get into the play offs without spending any money but 2nd would be out of our reach with the squad we have got.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:10 pm

Zabier wrote:I don't know. I reckon Jonesy has the potential to be a bit mental. He has that vacant stare sometimes. In a fight between him and Gerrard I actually think Jones's experience might win! There's only one way to find...

FIGHT!!!

I'll see if I can get it on the Undercard for the Pacquiao - Mayweather scrap. Maybe if the purse is high enough, Jones can quit football management for good.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:14 pm

dave jones has been an excellent manager for cardiff city ihoe he gets his hands on some money he deserves achance with some serious wedge

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:54 pm

if he gets 4 more players and has got in to the play offs before the last 2 games he will will make it, if left to the last game he will bottle it lol.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:10 pm

What i'd like to ask is if Malaysian investment does come will they want to change the manager.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:16 pm

I doubt the Malaysians would replace him to begin with to be honest! They seem like proper business types and probably think that he is doing great without a great deal of cash to spend. However if he then fails with his budget he will be out on his arse!!! They wont appreciate someone wasting their money!

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:23 pm

HOwever good or bad DJ has been, he has had to work under the most difficult of circumstances over the last few years. He must have thought what he had let himself in for when he actually walked through the door. The guy could have walked out - but tried (often succesfully often not) to carry on through the turmoil.

Ive changed tunes more than once on this point, from being a DJ supporter to hoping he falls on his sword. I think if THIS IS THE TIME, then, apart from the supporters, there is nobody that will deserve it more. This hasn't just been any old normal football managers job.

In saying this, it doesn't mean that he is irreplaceable, he very definately is, but I think he has worked tremendously hard over the last few years. We are no longer a yoyo side and are, for the first time I have been suporting the club, an ESTABLISHED, 2nd tier side.

Anyway, cue the vitriol, and all the 'he only stayed cos of the money'. Its all about opinions, and how these can change when good & bad times fall upon us.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Well I have lately had my doubts about DJ but f I was to confront him I would say he would come back with one argument against me. Now if thngs are what everyone is saying that argument can be takken out of the equation, that is he will now have the money.

I say we give him the chance.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:HONEST OPINIONS : With Cash Available to him and not having to Sell Players in January 2010(as long as The Malaysians deliver their side of the agreement), Will DAVE JONES Get Us Promoted This Season?

providing he spends cash wisely and not on another 5 taiwo's then i think he can get us there!!

if he does get cash and doesnt get us up then he would have to go!!

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:08 pm

One thing I think will be certain, if these Malaysians are the astute businessmen they are being portrayed as, why will they look to replace a manager who has guided their team to 3rd in the league (if we are still there by the time they properly take over) and are in a great position to kick on? I believe Jones will stay on til at least the end of the season and, if we're not up by then, by whatever means, he will be sacked and a high profile manager brought in on mega wages will be brought in to do the job he couldn't finish.

I also agree with the posts about no quality players are available to buy permanently in the January transfer window and also that Jones isn't great when it comes to spending money

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:21 pm

I think he has earned his chance, he may have come close to the bullet a few times but how many managers would have walked or cracked during some of our dark days over the last couple of years, every penny he has spent good or bad he has recouped fourfold and still kept us a top half team,

however if we dont make the play offs this year I would like to see Ince or Ferguson (jnr) in place before I go on my summer holidays

Sack

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Ince????? :shock: No, no, no!!!!! Bryan Robson will be touted next

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Blackburn did not work but he did well at Macclesfield and MK Dons, and would have certainly motivated the team for the swansea game. anyway for now I am backing Mr Jones :D

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:05 pm

i dont think theres a better manager we can get than dave jones

i think he'll get us there

many dont agree but thats what its all about eh, opinions ;)

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Jones out - Olly in! Money cannot mask his inability to re organise a team when we are 1-0 down.
He does not have the ability to change tactics or subs when needed.
We conceed too many goals in the last 10 minutes - that has to come from the training ground.
Hudson for £1m instead of Purse - total ignorance.
I Could go on forever and a day, but I think you get the drift - the man is a lunatic.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:HONEST OPINIONS : With Cash Available to him and not having to Sell Players in January 2010(as long as The Malaysians deliver their side of the agreement), Will DAVE JONES Get Us Promoted This Season?

You can't buy success you need good players a good manager and a little bit of luck.

At this level I would rate Dave Jones as one of the best managers available, just imagine if he had been able to keep Ramsey, Jeromme, Loovens, Johnson, Koumas, Routledge, Collins, Gabby etc. He has signed good players and developed players, so yes with money he will be able to get us promoted within a season or three.

Even if we spend we can't assume will will get promotion this season, personally I think he should be guaranteed by the new owners at least this season and all of next season.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:28 am

He needs to keep all existing players and add 4, but your right the malaysians will prob want to change manager.