Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why is red so important?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Changing our badge & shirt colour to red is not going to instantly make us big in the Far East, so why is this apparent £100m investment resting on whether we play in Blue or Red shirts?

Personally I find it a bit bizarre that unless we were willing to re-brand, VT wasn't willing to invest any more money.

People may argue that a red shirt is more marketable in the Far East, but surely the main attraction would be a Premiership Club especially with Malaysian links.

I can see why people are willing to accept the change, as they see it as 'Red Shirt & £100m' or 'Blue Shirt & No Money', but I just find it a little strange that those are the options. Although VT didn't know much about football when he invested, surely he knew what colour we played in!

Re: Why is red so important?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:34 pm

He still knows fook all. China is the reason we are going Red. :evil:

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Possibly because we want to break into the Chinese market and red is more likely to be attractive there.

Also, you never know, we may have some investors lined up who would have a strong preference for red.

I'm not certain, but these seem possibles to me.

I've always liked the idea mind, even when Sam suggested it about a decade ago.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Owain wrote:Changing our badge & shirt colour to red is not going to instantly make us big in the Far East, so why is this apparent £100m investment resting on whether we play in Blue or Red shirts?

Personally I find it a bit bizarre that unless we were willing to re-brand, VT wasn't willing to invest any more money.

People may argue that a red shirt is more marketable in the Far East, but surely the main attraction would be a Premiership Club especially with Malaysian links.

I can see why people are willing to accept the change, as they see it as 'Red Shirt & £100m' or 'Blue Shirt & No Money', but I just find it a little strange that those are the options. Although VT didn't know much about football when he invested, surely he knew what colour we played in!

Because some people are willing to adapt and give it a try. Perhaps you should try it!

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:38 pm

I've yet to be given what amounts to a reasonable, or indeed the basic premise of, an argument about this. All I seem to hear is "they're billionaires, they know best", "you're just a peasant, what do you know". Difference being, no matter how far football has gone towards the business world, most clubs cannot be run as businesses.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I've yet to be given what amounts to a reasonable, or indeed the basic premise of, an argument about this. All I seem to hear is "they're billionaires, they know best", "you're just a peasant, what do you know". Difference being, no matter how far football has gone towards the business world, most clubs cannot be run as businesses.

Proffessional football IS a business, thats a fact we have to willingly accept.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:Because some people are willing to adapt and give it a try. Perhaps you should try it!

Great justification there :lol:

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Owain wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:Because some people are willing to adapt and give it a try. Perhaps you should try it!

;)

I'm right though, we are willing to adapt. Join us....join us...join us. :D

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I've yet to be given what amounts to a reasonable, or indeed the basic premise of, an argument about this. All I seem to hear is "they're billionaires, they know best", "you're just a peasant, what do you know". Difference being, no matter how far football has gone towards the business world, most clubs cannot be run as businesses.

Proffessional football IS a business, thats a fact we have to willingly accept.

If that's the case then football is dying, because barely any teams in any country are making a profit. Infact, most of the clubs that do make any substantial profits tend to have an element of fan ownership - not an intrinsic or indeed common trait in the make up of a business.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Ok, I'll bite.

In your opinion, why are they wanting to make the change?

Just for the lolz - makes no sense, that's the actions of attention seekers on t'internet.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Owain wrote:

;)

So there's no reason then, we should just give it a go and see?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Why dont they just turn our away strip to red, at least one of our kits would be red and keep everyone happy.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Because they are trying to flog us for a profit at some point in the future. If we are premier league, playing in red we are more likely to be sold on to an Asian syndicate, that's where the dosh is...........

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Owain wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Owain wrote:

;)

So there's no reason then, we should just give it a go and see?

There is a reason, as you stated. To TRY and break in to the Asian market. We can POTENTIALLY make mega bucks!

Please bare in mind the emphasis on both try and potentially.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:52 pm

He could make us red without the investment

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:He could make us red without the investment

As indeed he could invest in us, and not require us to play in red.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:

Which would be ideal, BUT they want us to go red and feel Cardiff City FC could benefit from it.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Exactly!

I really don't see how Red is such an important factor.

Keep the badge, play away games/big games (if necessary) in our red away kit, and market our away shirt over there if we need to.

Unless we're in the premiership what colour we play in won't make a bit of difference anyway, and we know better than anyone getting out of this division is not easy (even with money!)

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Owain wrote:

Exactly!

I really don't see how Red is such an important factor.

Keep the badge, play away games/big games (if necessary) in our red away kit, and market our away shirt over there if we need to.

Unless we're in the premiership what colour we play in won't make a bit of difference anyway, and we know better than anyone getting out of this division is not easy (even with money!)

For all we know, our away kit for next season COULD be red. Can't you wait until the announcement?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:For all we know, our away kit for next season COULD be red. Can't you wait until the announcement?

It could well be, but the original post still stands.

I'm just trying to get some sensible opinions, as opposed to the bickering that's been going on all day!

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Owain wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:For all we know, our away kit for next season COULD be red. Can't you wait until the announcement?

I'm just trying to get some sensible opinions, as opposed to the bickering that's been going on all day!

And I gave you a sensible opinion. :D

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Owain wrote:

How do we make the mega bucks then?

By the way, this isn't meant as an interrogation, but you seem to be the only person that will give a reason as to why red is so important.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Owain wrote:

;)

Chief why should we have to adapt ? I aint no sheep. Any foreign invester should except our club as it is. Colour Badge knickname, i have heard a lot of people's opinions and many think we have no option but to roll over. but i disagree, we should let them know what it means to us but sadly they aint interested. If we went over there and changed the things they care most of all about then we would be called racists. Playing in Red will kill it for me

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Owain wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Owain wrote:

How do we make the mega bucks then?

If everything goes according to plan. We'll have more Asian investors (probaly Chinese), TV rights in Asia, sponsorship and perhaps sell more merchandise.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Owain wrote:

;)

Chief why should we have to adapt ? I aint no sheep. Any foreign invester should except our club as it is. Colour Badge knickname, i have heard a lot of people's opinions and many think we have no option but to roll over. but i disagree, we should let them know what it means to us but sadly they aint interested. If we went over there and changed the things they care most of all about then we would be called racists. Playing in Red will kill it for me

Because THEY believe that going red is the way forward.

Come on mate, every club changes. Think of it as a new era. :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Owain wrote:

;)

Sadly we are not in charge of the club, foreign investers are. Sam pushed the drug of hope onto us and its got us in a lot of trouble, we are in so deep now, in a vicious circle. I don't know how we get out of this bind, we are a hopeless case.

We need to get through this period in tact and ride this period, we have been through tougher things than this, its not life or death is it.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Yes but clearly he doesn't wont.

I don't know why red and gutted it ain't blue but at least we have the investment to soften the blow.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 am

So now that it's official, can anybody tell me why we're suddenly going to become successful in red?

Surely the FA Cup Finals, Carling Cup Finals, Play Off Finals would have given us more publicity overseas than a new identity.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am

I do business with East Asians. Top and bottom it isnt important.

Its a "shit test". A vain, egomaniac bully, parasite and conman. Colours gone, name gone, then Cardiff gone. Then its a travelling franchise. Tan is utter scum.

He's saying "my brand, I'm in charge". "Obey or I kill your shit".