Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Another trialist- David Hopkirk

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:40 am

City included Scottish trialist David Hopkirk in their starting line-up against Brentford. (development game)

The 18-year-old played SPL League football for Hamilton Academicals last season and started this season in their First Division starting line-up, making a total of nine appearances for the club.

But the Scottish junior international was released from New Douglas Park and is now a free agent.

Hopkirk has also had trial spells with West Bromwich Albion and Ipswich, the Bluebirds’ opponents on Saturday.

LINK- http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -29586244/
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Another trialist- David Hopkirk

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 am

if the youngster got released from hamilton surely he hasnt got that much to offer unless it was because they couldnt afford him

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am

nicky evans wrote:if the youngster got released from hamilton surely he hasnt got that much to offer unless it was because they couldnt afford him

There was a falling out with the manager, another in a long series of young boys who appear to have been treated shabbily by Accies. The youth set up there is great but the manager is a complete arsehole(Wildig could probably confirm!!!). The boy is part of the Scotland U19 set up - his falling out with Billy Reid and subsequent release cost him a place in the squad recently.

This boy is worth a punt, he's been on trial at a few clubs and also has trials lined up with Blackburn, Bolton & Ipswich with the possibillity of others. You don't get all those trials if you are shit.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Hamilton Academical have a good youth policy.James McCarthy Wigan came through their ranks.
Hopkirk wanted more than the Accies were prepared to pay.They released him from his 18 month contract.
Whats the betting theres a dodgy agent in the background :old:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:27 pm

But....

Is he deceased??? :lol:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Damned Yank wrote:But....

You'll have to explain this to our younger subscibers :old:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:39 pm

PtB wrote:
nicky evans wrote:if the youngster got released from hamilton surely he hasnt got that much to offer unless it was because they couldnt afford him

There was a falling out with the manager, another in a long series of young boys who appear to have been treated shabbily by Accies. The youth set up there is great but the manager is a complete arsehole(Wildig could probably confirm!!!). The boy is part of the Scotland U19 set up - his falling out with Billy Reid and subsequent release cost him a place in the squad recently.

This boy is worth a punt, he's been on trial at a few clubs and also has trials lined up with Blackburn, Bolton & Ipswich with the possibillity of others. You don't get all those trials if you are shit.

fair enough then i hope he does well hes certainly young enough

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:41 pm

stickywicket wrote:Hamilton Academical have a good youth policy.James McCarthy Wigan came through their ranks.
Hopkirk wanted more than the Accies were prepared to pay.They released him from his 18 month contract.
Whats the betting theres a dodgy agent in the background :old:

It was nothing to do with money whatsoever.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:23 pm

sorry to piss on your chips lads but i went to watch the game against brentford and i didn't think much of hopkirk at all. He played in the hole where mason usually plays, he was neat and tidy but he had several opportunities to influence the game but instead chose to turn round and take the easy option and pass it backwards. it may have been good for his "opta stats" but to me he was on trial and had a big chance to shine and let the chance go. He was substituted midway through second half. Ibby was good, as was the young french full back, and i think jesse darko may have a future he's strong and quick and raw with an eye for goal :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:57 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:sorry to piss on your chips lads but i went to watch the game against brentford and i didn't think much of hopkirk at all. He played in the hole where mason usually plays, he was neat and tidy but he had several opportunities to influence the game but instead chose to turn round and take the easy option and pass it backwards. it may have been good for his "opta stats" but to me he was on trial and had a big chance to shine and let the chance go. He was substituted midway through second half. Ibby was good, as was the young french full back, and i think jesse darko may have a future he's strong and quick and raw with an eye for goal :ayatollah:

Just as well really. Any more Scots down the city and we'd have to start
playing "Flower Of Scotland" before games.

Thank f**k we dont got any Scottish supporters.!!

oh, hang on :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Damned Yank wrote:But....

but randall isnt :old: :old: :old: :old:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:46 pm

He did his hamstring and will be out for around 4 weeks.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 pm

David Hopkirk where was Randall of Randall & Hopkirk(for those old enough to remember) White suits and all that!!

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Burke was released from us, doens't mean he hasn't got anything to offer. Maybe he fell out with someone or he's just a money grabber :evil: