Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OT Walk in showers

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 pm

My mam needs a walk in shower as she has had 3/4 of a lung out. Anyone know best place to get one reasonably cheap or know anyone who might need a bit of work heading their way?

Re: OT Walk in showers

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Do you mean a wet room Mac....?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:50 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:Do you mean a wet room Mac....?

Don't think so. My mam has had people come to look at the house and have suggested lots of ways to make the house easier for her as she is struggling very badly to get round etc. They said a walk in shower was needed and have got a quote for £3700.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:08 pm

Looking at it wet room would be ideal.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:59 pm

maccydee wrote:

Don't think so. My mam has had people come to look at the house and have suggested lots of ways to make the house easier for her as she is struggling very badly to get round etc. They said a walk in shower was needed and have got a quote for £3700.

That is very high Chief. You could get a whole wet room done for that price or do you mean £360

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:06 pm

maccydee wrote:My mam needs a walk in shower as she has had 3/4 of a lung out. Anyone know best place to get one reasonably cheap or know anyone who might need a bit of work heading their way?

Has she contacted an Occupational Therapist at the social services? If the OT reccomends that she needs a walk in shower because using what she has now is a danger to her health, then they will install one free if you live in social housing or pay towards one if you own your house.

It can take time although they are usually done within 6 months.

BTW £3700 is about what it costs social services to install a walking shower.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
maccydee wrote:My mam needs a walk in shower as she has had 3/4 of a lung out. Anyone know best place to get one reasonably cheap or know anyone who might need a bit of work heading their way?

Has she contacted an Occupational Therapist at the social services? If the OT reccomends that she needs a walk in shower because using what she has now is a danger to her health, then they will install one free if you live in social housing or pay towards one if you own your house.

It can take time although they are usually done within 6 months.

BTW £3700 is about what it costs social services to install a walking shower.

Yeah that is what they are looking to charge my mum. They are not paying towards it that I can see.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:24 pm

maccydee wrote:
Yeah that is what they are looking to charge my mum. They are not paying towards it that I can see.

But has your Mum seen an OT?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:32 pm

maccydee wrote:

Yeah they recommended the walk in shower and also put a lift thing in the bath which ain't much use tbh.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:35 pm

maccydee wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Yeah they recommended the walk in shower and also put a lift thing in the bath which ain't much use tbh.

I would get back to them and ask if they can help financially towards the shower as your Mother cannot afford the £3700 and her health is in danger using the equipment provided.

Remember if you don't ask then you don't get. It won't hurt at all to ask.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 pm

maccydee wrote:
maccydee wrote:

I would get back to them and ask if they can help financially towards the shower as your Mother cannot afford the £3700 and her health is in danger using the equipment provided.

I think they have come back and said we have to pay 3700 but my dad is going to appeal. Like you said no harm in trying. Thanks for advice.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:42 pm

maccydee wrote:
I think they have come back and said we have to pay 3700 but my dad is going to appeal. Like you said no harm in trying. Thanks for advice.

Yes definatley appeal and make sure they understand fully that your Mother's health is in danger and the equipment provided is inadequate.

Good Luck.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:48 pm

maccydee wrote:

Looking at it wet room would be ideal.

Is your Mams bathroom downstairs..........?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:45 pm

maccydee wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Depending on her income/savings she could get the entire amount paid for via a Disabled Facilites GranS. The more savings and income you have the less they will pay towards it.

I can't remember the site i found which set out what you couild get and gave a calcullator shpwing how much you pay depending on ytour income and savings. I'll try and find it later

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:49 pm

maccydee wrote:
maccydee wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Have they carried out a means test?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:58 pm

What area is your Mums house in?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Rich wrote:What area is your Mums house in?

Splott

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 pm

I am just fininshing my NVQ2 in plumbing and am about to start a tiling course.

If you could wait till the new year to have it done I could do it at a really good price as I need to build up a portfollio of work to actually get my NVQ.

If interested drop me a pm and we could chat.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:17 pm

maccydee wrote:
maccydee wrote:
maccydee wrote:

contact the council for people with disabilty i had one done for my wife it is means tested an a waiting list but they will help you mate i try an dig out the number for you

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:41 pm

I am a floorlayer and can supply and fit vinyl for wet rooms at a reasonable rate pm me if intrested

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks rich and bluebeeny will chat to me old man and let you know.