Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

JOE LEDLEY

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I would just like to say i find it absolutely disgusting in which the way that large sections of OUR own fans have treated Joe over the past year or so. An established professional footballer who's been at our club since 9 yrs old, working hard to get to where he is today. Since Joe made his first appearance in the senoir team you could tell we had gained a great home grown asset, who plays from the heart, and shows shear grit, determination and pride when gracing the pitch in front of both home and away support. Joe has been one of my favourite players at Cardiff City, and i hope he remains to be one for the long term future.

Footballers have their ups and downs through out their careers and as we are all aware, Joe has recently been through a bad patch himself which he's quite happy to admit. Now, obviously there is the ongoing saga of his contract negotiations, and the fact that he needs two hip operations that have not helped him on or off the field. Im not trying to emphasise these issues as a means of an excuse to his current form, but we all know and understand that these inevitable situations arise and have to be dealt with. I also understand that Joe has re-opened contract negotiations and i certainly hope all parties come to agree a mutual deal as i would be devastated if Joe was to leave our home club - Cardiff City FC.

Regarding contract issues, A footballers career is shortlived, and i'm pretty sure if you put yourself in Joe's shoes you will understand that looking after yourself throughout this short career will be a main priority financially. I mean in what other profession would you be retiring at the age of around 35-40? not many.... admmitedly, footballers wages and bonuses are certainly starting to spiral out of control at higher levels, but in reality they don't earn this kind of wage for 40 yrs of their lives...

Coming underfire from a large majority of the Cardiff fans, Joe has found it hard to settle back in to the team over the past few months, especially after having such a great spell as captain, and reminding you all of the faultless spell of team performances whilst he stood in charge for a period of time, keeping McPhail out of the team and also gaining a top result for us with a 0-0 draw against Arsenal as one of the many games he held captaincy.

Recently, Joe has really started to pick up his performances and started to get stuck in again, his last few games have seen him working alot harder, and his former self from matches gone by, is starting to reappear. Keep up the hard work Joe, good luck with the Hip operations, and when you return i'm sure you'll get right back on your game and the crowd will be behind you.

Respected by all members of the team, and club for that matter, as well as being a fans favourite for so many seasons, Joe, in my opinion would be a great loss to our club, and i sincerely hope we all regroup and support one of the heroes of our team, the player that scored that special goal to take us to the FA Cup final, and a role model to so many young footballers across the parks of south wales.

Im behind you Joe, with my little pick and shovel.... :ayatollah:

Re: JOE LEDLEY

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Merlin wrote:I would just like to say i find it absolutely disgusting in which the way that large sections of OUR own fans have treated Joe over the past year or so. An established professional footballer who's been at our club since 9 yrs old, working hard to get to where he is today. Since Joe made his first appearance in the senoir team you could tell we had gained a great home grown asset, who plays from the heart, and shows shear grit, determination and pride when gracing the pitch in front of both home and away support. Joe has been one of my favourite players at Cardiff City, and i hope he remains to be one for the long term future.

Footballers have their ups and downs through out their careers and as we are all aware, Joe has recently been through a bad patch himself which he's quite happy to admit. Now, obviously there is the ongoing saga of his contract negotiations, and the fact that he needs two hip operations that have not helped him on or off the field. Im not trying to emphasise these issues as a means of an excuse to his current form, but we all know and understand that these inevitable situations arise and have to be dealt with. I also understand that Joe has re-opened contract negotiations and i certainly hope all parties come to agree a mutual deal as i would be devastated if Joe was to leave our home club - Cardiff City FC.

Regarding contract issues, A footballers career is shortlived, and i'm pretty sure if you put yourself in Joe's shoes you will understand that looking after yourself throughout this short career will be a main priority financially. I mean in what other profession would you be retiring at the age of around 35-40? not many.... admmitedly, footballers wages and bonuses are certainly starting to spiral out of control at higher levels, but in reality they don't earn this kind of wage for 40 yrs of their lives...

Coming underfire from a large majority of the Cardiff fans, Joe has found it hard to settle back in to the team over the past few months, especially after having such a great spell as captain, and reminding you all of the faultless spell of team performances whilst he stood in charge for a period of time, keeping McPhail out of the team and also gaining a top result for us with a 0-0 draw against Arsenal as one of the many games he held captaincy.

Recently, Joe has really started to pick up his performances and started to get stuck in again, his last few games have seen him working alot harder, and his former self from matches gone by, is starting to reappear. Keep up the hard work Joe, good luck with the Hip operations, and when you return i'm sure you'll get right back on your game and the crowd will be behind you.

Respected by all members of the team, and club for that matter, as well as being a fans favourite for so many seasons, Joe, in my opinion would be a great loss to our club, and i sincerely hope we all regroup and support one of the heroes of our team, the player that scored that special goal to take us to the FA Cup final, and a role model to so many young footballers across the parks of south wales.

To be honest with you merlin i totaly agree with you! I think since the start of december hes really been showing why he is at our club. he gives 100% every game and plays with pride

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:04 pm

So in short, Joe is just like any other footballer. A mercenary with no loyalty :roll:

I have to be careful what I say as I know Joe and his family well.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm with u merlin. Y do cardiff fans need a player to hate? And ledley who is one of our best players the ground he covers ever game is awesome. Agreed on times he's been poor going forward but still class. Also a nice person which is more than can be said about some of our others players (notably plastic London gangster bothroyd and small man syndrome chopra).

Also ledley has never been offered a new contract. Which doesn't bode well for any tribunral case.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:06 pm

However, you seem to be neglecting the fact that he's been utterly dreadful for the last two years. Ever since that goal at Wembley Joe Ledley's performance levels and ability, it seems, have dropped steadily and we ended up with him arguing with fans at Barnsley because of it.

I don't understand how anyone can deny he's a worse player since he's been moved into the centre. He was poor for Wales there recently, and poor for us there.

I'd love Joe Ledley to be the best player in a Cardiff shirt game in, game out. But, frankly, he just isn't.

As for this;

You are joking aren't you? As a profesional footballer he should be able to rise above whatever the fans think of him, so that's another irrelevance.

We could have attacked a lot more than we did against Arsenal, I thought we ran the ball to the corner flag far, far too much towards the end of the game when we could easily have tried to snatch a goal.
Can I remind you of the faultless start to the season when Chopra was first at the club when McPhail and Scimeca were our central midfield pairing? We can all cite examples like that. It wasn't hard to keep McPhail out of the team at the time as McPhail didn't deserve a place in the team then. Now, I'd readily see McPhail come into the first team instead of Ledley.

For what it's worth, I see similarities between this situation and that of Paul Parry's... both suffered a loss of form and neither really looked like they wanted to be at the club.

But because Joe's Fairwater born and bred, people take it upon themselves to worship him for something he's not.
Right now, he's a below par Championship central midfielder, that is an undeniable fact.

"I also understand that Joe has re-opened contract negotiations and i certainly hope all parties come to agree a mutual deal as I would be devastated if Joe was to leave our home club - Cardiff City FC."

As I said in my thread on Ledley, I wouldn't be devastated as long as we took a sizeable fee of around £3m for him.

But of course, if Ledley was to come back from these operations and play with the grit, desire and determination you claim he's shown but has in fact shown nothing of these last two years, then I'll be the first to sing his name again.

I sang Eddie Johnson's name as loud as I could last season, because he looked like he cared. That's all I ask for. The same desire for my team to win as I have.

Ridsdale (and Ledley's agent) out :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Blake wrote: Y do cardiff fans need a player to hate? Also a nice person which is more than can be said about some of our others players (notably plastic London gangster bothroyd and small man syndrome chopra).

This post has no credibility because it's so unbelievably hypocritical. See the above :lol:

"Agreed on times he's been poor going forward but still class."

Oh, and - he's been poor but still class. Righto. :roll:

Ridsdale Out :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Merlin wrote:I would just like to say i find it absolutely disgusting in which the way that large sections of OUR own fans have treated Joe over the past year or so. An established professional footballer who's been at our club since 9 yrs old, working hard to get to where he is today. Since Joe made his first appearance in the senoir team you could tell we had gained a great home grown asset, who plays from the heart, and shows shear grit, determination and pride when gracing the pitch in front of both home and away support. Joe has been one of my favourite players at Cardiff City, and i hope he remains to be one for the long term future.

Agree with that

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Presonally, i dont care about all the negative posts about my original post in this thread, or any negative posts about Joe Ledley, As a paying fan, i got to watch football to be entertained, and the times Joe has entertained me has totally outweighed the times he performances haven't been up to scratch. Im not going to sit here and quote all the negatives, I just want city fans to get behind their man and back him. We needed Ledley performing to help us get promoted and shooting him down mentally is not helping him, the club or the fans. So use your wisdom guys, he's wearing a bluebirds shirt and he's one of ours. So do us all a favour and get behind him.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Merlin wrote:Presonally, i dont care about all the negative posts about my original post in this thread, or any negative posts about Joe Ledley, As a paying fan, i got to watch football to be entertained, and the times Joe has entertained me has totally outweighed the times he performances haven't been up to scratch. Im not going to sit here and quote all the negatives, I just want city fans to get behind their man and back him. We needed Ledley performing to help us get promoted and shooting him down mentally is not helping him, the club or the fans. So use your wisdom guys, he's wearing a bluebirds shirt and he's one of ours. So do us all a favour and get behind him.

I like Ledley, yes he is going through a bad patch, but all good player come through it. I have every confidence Ledley will be wearing a Cardiff shirt next season and we lead us into the Prem

:ayatollah:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:54 pm

Merlin wrote:Presonally, i dont care about all the negative posts about my original post in this thread, or any negative posts about Joe Ledley, As a paying fan, i got to watch football to be entertained, and the times Joe has entertained me has totally outweighed the times he performances haven't been up to scratch. Im not going to sit here and quote all the negatives, I just want city fans to get behind their man and back him. We needed Ledley performing to help us get promoted and shooting him down mentally is not helping him, the club or the fans. So use your wisdom guys, he's wearing a bluebirds shirt and he's one of ours. So do us all a favour and get behind him.

Behave, I have NEVER, EVER slagged off Joe Ledley during a Cardiff City game. I have booed him off the pitch afterwards, as I did all the team at Hillsborough last season and Barnsley this, but never during a game.

So don't try and tell me I'm not supportive of our players when they need it the most.

I'm just able to see the real world, and I'm not blinded by the fact that Ledley was born in Fairwater.

Incidentally, because his poor form has lasted for so long, I no longer think the good moments do outweigh the bad ones.

Obviously there was his goal at Wembley, but it could easily have been Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on the end of that ball - or, as in the final, Glenn Loovens.

We already miss the good Joe Ledley, he left two years ago.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:29 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:

Behave, I have NEVER, EVER slagged off Joe Ledley during a Cardiff City game. I have booed him off the pitch afterwards, as I did all the team at Hillsborough last season and Barnsley this, but never during a game.

So don't try and tell me I'm not supportive of our players when they need it the most.

I'm just able to see the real world, and I'm not blinded by the fact that Ledley was born in Fairwater.

Incidentally, because his poor form has lasted for so long, I no longer think the good moments do outweigh the bad ones.

Obviously there was his goal at Wembley, but it could easily have been Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on the end of that ball - or, as in the final, Glenn Loovens.

We already miss the good Joe Ledley, he left two years ago.

Supporting the players does not include booing them off the pitch. the last thing they want is fans like you on their backs. No wonder Ledley wasn't happy at Barnsley with the fans. Ledley is our Gerrard. get use to it.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:30 pm

PR never ever offered him a contract before like he said.(I believe).

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 pm

i totally agree with the original post

he's a quiet lad and enjoys his football. if someone has a go at me in my job, i tell them straight too. You wouldnt go up to someone in sainsburys when they are working and call them a fuc*ing c*nt, which ive heard him being called before. And if someone abused you when working, you'd maybe react in the same way joe did

furthermore, i know people who wouldnt do my job with a dodgy hip, so fair play to him

i believe we see a different, attacking joe out on the left

hes not ronaldo or gerrard, so lets appreciate what he does for us

hes a bluebird and when he wears our shirt i'll be backing him

:ayatollah:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Laz wrote: You wouldnt go up to someone in sainsburys when they are working and call them a fuc*ing c*nt,

I would if I had paid £25 in to watch him work and they were making an arse of it.

There's as much chance of that happening as there is Asda then offering £4 million for the said worker.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:29 pm

PtB wrote:
Laz wrote: You wouldnt go up to someone in sainsburys when they are working and call them a fuc*ing c*nt,

I would if I had paid £25 in to watch him work and they were making an arse of it.

There's as much chance of that happening as there is Asda then offering £4 million for the said worker.

i'm a lidls man myself :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Laz wrote:
PtB wrote:

i'm a lidls man myself :ayatollah:

Farmfoods Barmy Army :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Who cares what Ledley thinks though....... he is a right jumped up prick.......im sure his monthly pay packet (paid for by fans) more than compensates for some of the abuse he gets!!

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Merlin wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:We already miss the good Joe Ledley, he left two years ago.

I suggest you check the above quote again, as your posts seem to have ignored it - conveniently

Supporting the players does not include booing them off the pitch.
No, I know. Which is why I don't boo them during the game, I support them during the game, but if they haven't done their job properly then I have every right to express my dismay at that.

the last thing they want is fans like you on their backs.
Tough. If they don't want people on their backs, they're in the wrong profession.$

No wonder Ledley wasn't happy at Barnsley with the fans.
And did you see Ledley play at Barnsley? No wonder the fans weren't happy with him.

Ledley is our Gerrard. get use to it.
No, he's not.

The whole point of the Steven Gerrard analogy is that the Liverpool team cannot function without him.

Cardiff City are easily able to function without Ledley in the side at the moment because he's playing so poorly.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:42 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:
Merlin wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:We already miss the good Joe Ledley, he left two years ago.

I suggest you check the above quote again, as your posts seem to have ignored it - conveniently

Supporting the players does not include booing them off the pitch.
No, I know. Which is why I don't boo them during the game, I support them during the game, but if they haven't done their job properly then I have every right to express my dismay at that.

the last thing they want is fans like you on their backs.
Tough. If they don't want people on their backs, they're in the wrong profession.$

No wonder Ledley wasn't happy at Barnsley with the fans.
And did you see Ledley play at Barnsley? No wonder the fans weren't happy with him.

Ledley is our Gerrard. get use to it.
No, he's not.

The whole point of the Steven Gerrard analogy is that the Liverpool team cannot function without him.

Cardiff City are easily able to function without Ledley in the side at the moment because he's playing so poorly.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 pm

TBF both of you make valid points.....

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:56 am

ccfclover wrote:Who cares what Ledley thinks though....... he is a right jumped up prick.......im sure his monthly pay packet (paid for by fans) more than compensates for some of the abuse he gets!!

Well done Clover! very intelligent post.

jesus. :roll:

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:57 am

Well Said Merlin :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 am

this it merlin, f**k i am good :lol:

Sat May 29, 2010 9:24 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:this it merlin, f**k i am good :lol:

well done mate!! I'll have to have a read now - cant remember what i wrote about him!!! hope theres nothing bad or contradictive in there!!! :lol:

BAZ IS A LEG-END! :ayatollah:

Sat May 29, 2010 9:24 am

Merlin wrote:

well done mate!! I'll have to have a read now - cant remember what i wrote about him!!! hope theres nothing bad or contradictive in there!!! :lol:

always edit the bad bits out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat May 29, 2010 9:30 am

an emotional read, and a good one, i admit i was one of the ones unhappy with joe, i felt at the time he wasnt giving 100% and hiding bhind a hip injury. first time in 23 years i was wrong :lol:

Sat May 29, 2010 9:31 am

Nope. I still stand my my original post, and clover and dave sheff - i disagreed with. but thats what debates are for... some silly comments up there aparrt from Chippys one -->
I like Ledley, yes he is going through a bad patch, but all good player come through it. I have every confidence Ledley will be wearing a Cardiff shirt next season and we lead us into the Prem

He was ALMOST correct! :ayatollah:

Sat May 29, 2010 9:31 am

milly44 wrote:an emotional read, and a good one, i admit i was one of the ones unhappy with joe, i felt at the time he wasnt giving 100% and hiding bhind a hip injury. first time in 23 years i was wrong :lol:
23 yeh whatever :lol:

Sat May 29, 2010 9:32 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:
Merlin wrote:

always edit the bad bits out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

besides - i dont get the option to edit the bad bits out - as i'm not a mod! ;)

Sat May 29, 2010 9:34 am

:lol: ouch that hurt, :old:
f**k i am bored sensless its pissing down we have no footie, and my grandkids are running amock, might sign up to planet gypos and have a wind up on there :lol: