Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Safe standing proposals to parliament

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Just reported on SSN, as per the info already posted on this forum over the past week.

Few interesting interviews, with the vast majority of fans and leaders of fans groups backing the proposals. However, with the exception of Kenny Dalglish. His opinion is that even just proposing safe standing is an insult to all those involved at Hillsborough etc. As awful as Hillsborough was (without question) I dont think that referring to gross incompetency at club & police level - which imo allowed Hillsborough to occur, is a valid argument against the proposals.

Kenny then pointed to the drop in arrests etc since standing (or terracing) was officially banned from heavily populated grounds or top flights clubs - that again in my opinion is an easy fall back on and imo not overly relevant considering the changes to policing structurally; culturally and from a reporting perspective - its like comparing chalk and cheese when evaluating the two eras. The rationale hes provided just doesn't stand up and this is highlighted when applied to other scenarios: Do boxers stop fighting if one dies in the ring? Do people stop flying due to plane crashes? Its not my intention at all to disrespect anyone involved at Hillsborough, but this is the modern world we live in now and one that we should learn from mistakes made and put them right, without eradicating the concept.

There was a Man City fan who summed it up brilliantly. He said we don't go to the games to watch our team win every week, because we know that aint going to happen - we go for a laugh; a good time; and to create an atmosphere, and you don't get any of that sitting down!

Football is one of the biggest industries in the country/ world, but yet it still continues to ignore a very large proportion of its consumers. Hopefully the tide is now turning. Within the current set up, and with the absence of any segregated terracing areas the only scenario that is presented for the more 'civilised' fan (if thats the correct terminology) is that you get a mixture of fans standing and sitting which just creates a mockery of it all and creates more of a problem, in terms of obstructing view, for those who want to sit.

BRING BACK THE TERRACING IS MY VIEW AND WATCH CCS IGNITE!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Safe standing proposals to parliament

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:26 pm

terracing should be brought back it will bring back the atmospheres of old, aswell as open up a price bracket for less well off supporters making stadiums more accessible. Although Hillsborough was a disaster and should never be forgotten and the lessons learnt from it should always stay in the forefront of peoples minds, but in the modern days of health and safety i believe terracing will be a far more safe environment for fans than standing in seated areas. for example when i went to stamford bridge to watch cardiff play chelsea in the fa cup, a supporter further up the stand from me whilst standing fell and and dropped like a dead weight on to me, I also standing then fell into a supporter a few rows down from me who almost crushed a small child, though this was an accident and nothing was ment intentionally and thank god no one was seriously injured, this scenario could have been avoided with well constructed terraced/free standing areas.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:40 pm

full agreed, it will entice a whole range of supporters who dont currently go to games because of the restrictions and to flip their (the authorities) argument on its head - it will become safer.

People in control need to start listening and evolve with the times

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:52 pm

CastletownBlue wrote:full agreed, it will entice a whole range of supporters who dont currently go to games because of the restrictions and to flip their (the authorities) argument on its head - it will become safer.

People in control need to start listening and evolve with the times

it benefits everyone

1. The clubs, they will make more money from ticket sales, say maybe you could sell 2 terraced tickets for the space of 1 seated ticket.
2. Clubs 'vocal' supporters will have an area where they can congregate and support their clubs as one voice.
3. The 'prawn sandwich brigade' will be able to sit in their seats and watch the game in relative peace and quiet, and not interfere with their match day enjoyment with 'vocal fans' in their immediate locality.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:22 pm

here here !. The last season on the bb terrace was prob the most enjoyable seasons i have had watching footy in 11 yrs regularly watching live games. Give footy back to the masses.