Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

This Is Our Worst Run Of Results Since

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:50 am

Season 2006-2007 where after starting the season beating almost any team put in front of us we started a run in early November of only 1 win in 11 games. The run started on Friday 17th November with a 1-0 home defeat to QPR and we failed to win another game until the 2-1 away win at Wolves on Saturday 20th January (the game where I believe our fans were banned).

The excuse DJ offered at the time was that the squad lacked the depth required to maintain the promotion push and because of financial restraints at the club we were unable to " Freshen things up in January" to give us some momentum. We finished that season by failing to win in our final 9 games and fell away to finish a disappointing 13th in the league with 63 points.

This season DJ has himself made the claim that he has the strongest squad, (with at least 2 players challenging for each position in the team ) since he has been at the club. Still the manager is making the claim that we need 5 new players in January to "Freshen Things Up". Why do we need these additional players? Why is the best squad probably ever assembled at our club failing to maintain an acceptable level of performance?

Our manager is now saying that our defenders are not doing their job which lets face it is a statement which will surprise no one who has watched the team in the last 2 years, but these are the players he identified as the unit to maintain our promotion push. He selects them and he sends them out to play in a tactical formation which with 2 players available for every position should mean he can swap players to maintain an acceptable level of performance. Why has he been unable to do this?

He also claims that the players are playing with "fear" a situation bought about by then being afraid to let the supporters down, surely if he truely believes that there are players playing with fear he should replace them. Again we have 2 players for every position in the team. Who are they? Surely not Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd, Olafinjana, Drinkwater, Burke or Macnaughton as I think these are all players with strong mental attitudes. So is this fear thing real or is it something else?

Could it be that the team selection is wrong, could it be out tactics are wrong or could it be that even with our best squad ever at our club the manager is unable to change things during a game should events go against us. Like going behind because history shows our manager has in only 10% of the games where we have gone behind come back to win the game, hardly inspiring is it.

In my opinion we as fans have a right to question things where they are clearly not right and that includes asking if things should be freshened up by replacing the manager. It doesn't matter where we are in the League as 1 win in 7 games is unacceptable whatever your league position. Remember our manager has not won a boxing day fixture in over 11 years, Why? tactics, preparation our as these fixtures generally attract the biggest crowds of the season is the game to BIG for him. We all know his opinions and performance in big games.

We are about to enter the silly season when it comes managers jobs as I believe at least 2 will lose their jobs in the coming weeks I see no reason why DJ or any TV pundit should laugh at the prospect of him joining them in the list of unemployed managers as football is a results game and he is clearly not delivering.

Last year there were clearly 2 quality teams in the Championship so the very best we could hope for was a playoff place, having reached the final our abject performance should have resulted in our manager being replaced. This season the championship has no teams of the quality of Newcastle or WBA but we do have one if not the best squad the fact we not safely in an automatic promotion place is a clear indication of a failing management team.

IMO this situation needs to be dealt with and as soon as possible so I hope VT is the ruthless businessman we are told he is, and before he gives DJ a single penny to freshen things up with new players he spends £20 on a taxi for the man. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: This Is Our Worst Run Of Results Since

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 pm

castleblue wrote:Season 2006-2007 where after starting the season beating almost any team put in front of us we started a run in early November of only 1 win in 11 games. The run started on Friday 17th November with a 1-0 home defeat to QPR and we failed to win another game until the 2-1 away win at Wolves on Saturday 20th January (the game where I believe our fans were banned).

The excuse DJ offered at the time was that the squad lacked the depth required to maintain the promotion push and because of financial restraints at the club we were unable to " Freshen things up in January" to give us some momentum. We finished that season by failing to win in our final 9 games and fell away to finish a disappointing 13th in the league with 63 points.

This season DJ has himself made the claim that he has the strongest squad, (with at least 2 players challenging for each position in the team ) since he has been at the club. Still the manager is making the claim that we need 5 new players in January to "Freshen Things Up". Why do we need these additional players? Why is the best squad probably ever assembled at our club failing to maintain an acceptable level of performance?

Our manager is now saying that our defenders are not doing their job which lets face it is a statement which will surprise no one who has watched the team in the last 2 years, but these are the players he identified as the unit to maintain our promotion push. He selects them and he sends them out to play in a tactical formation which with 2 players available for every position should mean he can swap players to maintain an acceptable level of performance. Why has he been unable to do this?

He also claims that the players are playing with "fear" a situation bought about by then being afraid to let the supporters down, surely if he truely believes that there are players playing with fear he should replace them. Again we have 2 players for every position in the team. Who are they? Surely not Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd, Olafinjana, Drinkwater, Burke or Macnaughton as I think these are all players with strong mental attitudes. So is this fear thing real or is it something else?

Could it be that the team selection is wrong, could it be out tactics are wrong or could it be that even with our best squad ever at our club the manager is unable to change things during a game should events go against us. Like going behind because history shows our manager has in only 10% of the games where we have gone behind come back to win the game, hardly inspiring is it.

In my opinion we as fans have a right to question things where they are clearly not right and that includes asking if things should be freshened up by replacing the manager. It doesn't matter where we are in the League as 1 win in 7 games is unacceptable whatever your league position. Remember our manager has not won a boxing day fixture in over 11 years, Why? tactics, preparation our as these fixtures generally attract the biggest crowds of the season is the game to BIG for him. We all know his opinions and performance in big games.

We are about to enter the silly season when it comes managers jobs as I believe at least 2 will lose their jobs in the coming weeks I see no reason why DJ or any TV pundit should laugh at the prospect of him joining them in the list of unemployed managers as football is a results game and he is clearly not delivering.

Last year there were clearly 2 quality teams in the Championship so the very best we could hope for was a playoff place, having reached the final our abject performance should have resulted in our manager being replaced. This season the championship has no teams of the quality of Newcastle or WBA but we do have one if not the best squad the fact we not safely in an automatic promotion place is a clear indication of a failing management team.

IMO this situation needs to be dealt with and as soon as possible so I hope VT is the ruthless businessman we are told he is, and before he gives DJ a single penny to freshen things up with new players he spends £20 on a taxi for the man. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

good post :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Excellent post :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:22 pm

excellent read good post :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:24 pm

castleblue wrote:Season 2006-2007 where after starting the season beating almost any team put in front of us we started a run in early November of only 1 win in 11 games. The run started on Friday 17th November with a 1-0 home defeat to QPR and we failed to win another game until the 2-1 away win at Wolves on Saturday 20th January (the game where I believe our fans were banned).

cracking post :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:08 pm

For me, Jones is tactically inept,no back up plan.He has a book of excusses bigger than a swatch of carpet samples .for every good player he brings in he also brings a handfull of duds. He strikes me as being arrogant and to be honest I would hate to have someone like that to be my boss. Maybe some players feel the same way and it's effected team morale.