Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHO IS ON THE "

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:40 pm

rb1976 wrote:
rb1976 wrote:Students from UK 57%
Students from EU 12%
Students from Overseas 31%

How do group 3 pay for their fee's. P.A.Y.E. ?

My point is the students are having to fund the cost of universities beacause its out of control, just like everything else in this country! It has been mismanaged for years so why shouldn't they be pissed off with the rises proposed. (I'm pissed off fuel costs me 20p per litre than it did just over a year ago, now we just accept it. Remember the protests about that)

With regards to foreign students they are reaping the benefit of our education system which has been built by our tax money, not their's. Am I wrong to think that this is where some of this defecit has come from? I'm not having a pop about foreigners but

Cycle 1 - UK Man pays tax into system for 20 years his child goes to university pays fee's graduates earns money pay tax for 20 years his child goes to university ......... and so on

Overseas student man doesn't pay tax into system for 20 years child goes to university pays fee's graduates earns money pays tax for 20 years his child goes to university ......... and so on

anyone spot the deficit??

Anyway its all the governments fault whichever way you look at it and anyone who stand's up to it is quite right IMO. We should protest more about everything !!!!!!

Overseas students pay the full fee. I think the full fee is around £12k per year dependent on uni/course(or something similar). At the moment, UK students pay £3k via a loan and the rest is sudsidised by the gov't.

I think that's the way it currently works, I went to uni when we contributed a max of £1.2k to the tuition fees and there was no loan to cover that contribution.

I don't think these changes effect overseas students in any way unless EU students are now treated differently?

EDIT: I forgot to add, overseas students aren't entitled to any sort of loans, they or their parents pay their own way.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:57 pm

I can see the arguments from both sides. As a graduate i was lucky when i went to College there were no fees to pay. My parents were reasonably affluent so i didnt get a grant and they had to fund my accomodation, boozing and occasional trip to Ninian Park. I left College in 1995 with a £1000 overdraft.

The problem is that we have too many universities and colleges with waste of time degrees and students take these courses with little prospect of getting a career at the end of it. Nowadays students have to pay fees and board etc and come out 15-20k in debt.

The new govt policy will make things worse for students and i can understand people's anger but the violence was outrageous and completely pointless. Alot of the anger has rightly been aimed at the lib dems who have gone back on an election promise.

The government are in a difficult position as the labour govt completely wasted billions of pounds and left the country with a massive deficit. What they should do is properly tackle the real reasons behind our deficit which includes the benefits system which rewards the workshy/unemployable and costs us honest tax payers billions and the mass immigration problems which links back to the benefits system.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:I can see the arguments from both sides. As a graduate i was lucky when i went to College there were no fees to pay. My parents were reasonably affluent so i didnt get a grant and they had to fund my accomodation, boozing and occasional trip to Ninian Park. I left College in 1995 with a £1000 overdraft.

The problem is that we have too many universities and colleges with waste of time degrees and students take these courses with little prospect of getting a career at the end of it. Nowadays students have to pay fees and board etc and come out 15-20k in debt.

The new govt policy will make things worse for students and i can understand people's anger but the violence was outrageous and completely pointless. Alot of the anger has rightly been aimed at the lib dems who have gone back on an election promise.

The government are in a difficult position as the labour govt completely wasted billions of pounds and left the country with a massive deficit. What they should do is properly tackle the real reasons behind our deficit which includes the benefits system which rewards the workshy/unemployable and costs us honest tax payers billions and the mass immigration problems which links back to the benefits system.

Nail on head there. Too many vocational courses where a degree shouldn't be required to get a job in that specific industry.
An example of this...... http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/1645/BSc+(Hons)+Surf+Science+and+Technology

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm

asz wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:I can see the arguments from both sides. As a graduate i was lucky when i went to College there were no fees to pay. My parents were reasonably affluent so i didnt get a grant and they had to fund my accomodation, boozing and occasional trip to Ninian Park. I left College in 1995 with a £1000 overdraft.

Nail on head there. Too many vocational courses where a degree shouldn't be required to get a job in that specific industry.
An example of this...... http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/1645/BSc+(Hons)+Surf+Science+and+Technology

Also why do nurses now have to do degrees-previously they had on the job training for which they were paid (not a great deal but it was enough to live off). Teacher training should also be school based and not college based.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
asz wrote:

Also why do nurses now have to do degrees-previously they had on the job training for which they were paid (not a great deal but it was enough to live off). Teacher training should also be school based and not college based.

I think teachers and nurses do a hell of a lot of on the job training as part of their courses. The teachers I knew at uni were on placement for most of the year and were paying for the privelege.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHO IS ON THE STUDENTS SIDE ? "

I Honestly Believe Health and Education are what Britain Should put First, I Do Feel for those Students, But the way they Demonstrated and in My Opinion the Violence looked planned(it was more Violent than an over 18's Movie, I was glued to the Sky TV for 3 Hrs) , Lost them a lot of Sympathy from the British Public ?

But the Students lost My Respect when they Pissed on and Damaged Winston Churchils Statue :evil: :evil:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chill.html :evil:

Please everyone ask Your Parents/Grand Parents, What they think about that.

the only way to get heard in this country is to demonstrate,and demonstrate violently,it makes t.v.,i never went to uni,iv worked on building sites all my life,but totally back the students,thou with my oldish head on some things are sacrilidge,and defacing and showing no respect for certain things(memorials,cemetrys)is not good. :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:48 pm

With our club always being a target of the press, I am waiting for someone in the media to say that they saw some of the students wearing Cardiff shirts.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:With our club always being a target of the press, I am waiting for someone in the media to say that they saw some of the students wearing Cardiff shirts.

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
asz wrote:

Just qualified as a nurse mate. Most students in the programme agree that it's a vocational subject that does not need degree status. However, to justify pay increases for nurses, the government decided to turn the subject in to a degree to have a more professional appeal (its just political bollox init?). Also the course is 50/50 based... you do 6 weeks in uni, followed by 6 weeks in a hospital on a ward etc. A student nurse also gets paid £557 every month they are in training and the course is funded by the WAG... In essence u should come out of the course debt free!

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:58 pm

who would listen to them if it was all lovely and peaceful?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:07 pm

FUK THE STUDENTS GET APART TIME JOB TO PAY OFF UR BILLS INSTEAD OF PISSING IT UP EVERYNIGHT, GET A JOB LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO . PERHAPS U WOULD GET MORE SUPPORT IF YOU WERNT SO DISRESPECTFUL TO WAR MEMORIALS. NATIONAL SERVICE YOU NEED TO GIVE YOU SOME DISCIPLINE. :evil:

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Not all of them are riotting.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Im 100 per cent behind the government on this one, but I dont blame the students for protesting.
Taxpayers shouldnt be able to subsidise someone elses education.
ont think many will agree with me, but thats my stance.
At least throwing in a bit of violence shows the govt how strongly people think about this subject.
Await more strikes and violence next year when cutbacks kick in. This is just the start. :D

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Karl wrote:Not all of them are riotting.

Correct But Karl, There were hundreds and hundreds involved.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm

I am currently in University doing a primary teaching course.

After uni I will be about 20 grand in debt after 3 years.

And in 3 years time with people payin 9 grand a year, plus food expenses, travelling, books, day to day things. cost of having a car here.
Students will be 32+ grand in debt at the age of 21.

It is ridicolous. that is like paying of a morgage.It will take a 21 year old years to pay off that debt, they wont be able to have a house or maybe a car because they are currently paying off debt

Uni is amazing, I love it. And with more money to pay, that means less of our children (OUR FUTURE) having jobs.

Im training to be a teacher and i know Claire is aswell. and i know for a fact if i had to pay 36 grand to come to uni for 4 years then the governmet can f**k off. Instead ill stay at home with my mum and watch jeremy kyle all day and waste my life.

Yes the protest may have gone over the top, but something needs to be done. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:33 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:im not on the side of the students at all, its a typical attitude of this country that you want everything now and dont want to suffer for it, basically something for nothing. If you want to study for something which will benefit society ill support you through grants which the NHS still offer and i dont mind my tax pounds supporting that, but i refuse to pay for some chav to study modern dance for 3 years. This country offers a free education up to the age of 18 whch is better than some countries. In America if you want to go to university you have to pay for it and america has some of the best universities in the world.

Your comment on people not wanting to "suffer" for university education I just don't get. Why should people suffer?. My niece has spent three years getting her degree and it was hard work. If it wasn't for her parents she wouldn't have been able to afford it. It's interesting that you've gone for the word "chav" little bit of snobbery there eh? ;) You WON'T refuse to pay for his/her education, you ain't got a choice in the matter. In the same way that I can't choose where my taxes are spent.As for America, Good uni's yes. Universal heathcare,no.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:10 pm

chippy909 wrote:I am currently in University doing a primary teaching course.

After uni I will be about 20 grand in debt after 3 years.

And in 3 years time with people payin 9 grand a year, plus food expenses, travelling, books, day to day things. cost of having a car here.
Students will be 32+ grand in debt at the age of 21.

It is ridicolous. that is like paying of a morgage.It will take a 21 year old years to pay off that debt, they wont be able to have a house or maybe a car because they are currently paying off debt

Uni is amazing, I love it. And with more money to pay, that means less of our children (OUR FUTURE) having jobs.

Im training to be a teacher and i know Claire is aswell. and i know for a fact if i had to pay 36 grand to come to uni for 4 years then the governmet can f**k off. Instead ill stay at home with my mum and watch jeremy kyle all day and waste my life.

Yes the protest may have gone over the top, but something needs to be done. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Great point there :D :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:25 pm

LONGDOG wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:im not on the side of the students at all, its a typical attitude of this country that you want everything now and dont want to suffer for it, basically something for nothing. If you want to study for something which will benefit society ill support you through grants which the NHS still offer and i dont mind my tax pounds supporting that, but i refuse to pay for some chav to study modern dance for 3 years. This country offers a free education up to the age of 18 whch is better than some countries. In America if you want to go to university you have to pay for it and america has some of the best universities in the world.

Your comment on people not wanting to "suffer" for university education I just don't get. Why should people suffer?. My niece has spent three years getting her degree and it was hard work. If it wasn't for her parents she wouldn't have been able to afford it. It's interesting that you've gone for the word "chav" little bit of snobbery there eh? ;) You WON'T refuse to pay for his/her education, you ain't got a choice in the matter. In the same way that I can't choose where my taxes are spent.As for America, Good uni's yes. Universal heathcare,no.

my point about suffering for it is, everyone wants high paying jobs (ive got no problem with that) but to get these high paying jobs in most cases you need a degree, and yes i have no doubt that people work their socks off to get their degree and after achieving that i wish them all the luck in the world in whatever career they choose. My arguement is the debt they accumulate whilst being in university is a drop in the ocean from what they will earn in their lifetime, and if that is the cost to improve their life they should grin and bear it and look at the bigger picture, and thats my point they want all of the rewards but none of the sacrifices.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

MalagaCF wrote:Im 100 per cent behind the government on this one, but I dont blame the students for protesting.
Taxpayers shouldnt be able to subsidise someone elses education.
ont think many will agree with me, but thats my stance.
At least throwing in a bit of violence shows the govt how strongly people think about this subject.
Await more strikes and violence next year when cutbacks kick in. This is just the start. :D

What about the tax payer subsidising people to have children ? At least by going to university you are attempting to better yourself .

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:33 pm

I have been lucky enough to go to University twice, at the taxpayers expense. I am quite prepared to let my taxes to be used to pay for today's students to have the same opportunities.