Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHO IS ON THE "

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:18 pm

" OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHO IS ON THE STUDENTS SIDE ? "

I Honestly Believe Health and Education are what Britain Should put First, I Do Feel for those Students, But the way they Demonstrated and in My Opinion the Violence looked planned(it was more Violent than an over 18's Movie, I was glued to the Sky TV for 3 Hrs) , Lost them a lot of Sympathy from the British Public ?

But the Students lost My Respect when they Pissed on and Damaged Winston Churchils Statue :evil: :evil:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chill.html :evil:

Please everyone ask Your Parents/Grand Parents, What they think about that.

Re: " OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHO IS ON THE "

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 pm

you know my thoughts as i spoke to you lastnight, it was better viewing that fekin corrie :lol:

im on there side, as i know first hand the debts uni can cause, i have just finished a course and im strugling to pay of debts of thousands and thousands. but i fell they may have gone a little over the top :lol:

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 pm

It's like a football club in my eyes Annis (yes, everything comes back to football). If you cut away the youth and the future investment then what are you left with in a generation? In these terrible times when so much is being lost the one thing we should preserve is the future.

I don't agree with how the demos have gone but let's face it, the majority aren't students, they're anarchists who fancied a brawl. I know universities already have too much money so increasing tuition fees, let alone trebling them, it doesn't add up.

Get work shy bums back to work first, then we can work out what area to make cuts to next. I'm really pleased that whilst Leon and Shontelle with their 10 kids can sit and watch Jeremy Kyle, the future generations are suffering and being ignored. Apologies for the sarcasm.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:23 pm

milly44 wrote:you know my thoughts as i spoke to you lastnight, it was better viewing that fekin corrie :lol:

im on there side, as i know first hand the debts uni can cause, i have just finished a course and im strugling to pay of debts of thousands and thousands. but i fell they may have gone a little over the top :lol:

:lol:

Milly, They could make a film, just from the Scenes alone.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:23 pm

but with fees going up. less kids going to uni, more kids leaving school for full time work, less work available???

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Zabier wrote:It's like a football club in my eyes Annis (yes, everything comes back to football). If you cut away the youth and the future investment then what are you left with in a generation? In these terrible times when so much is being lost the one thing we should preserve is the future.

I don't agree with how the demos have gone but let's face it, the majority aren't students, they're anarchists who fancied a brawl. I know universities already have too much money so increasing tuition fees, let alone trebling them, it doesn't add up.

Get work shy bums back to work first, then we can work out what area to make cuts to next. I'm really pleased that whilst Leon and Shontelle with their 10 kids can sit and watch Jeremy Kyle, the future generations are suffering and being ignored. Apologies for the sarcasm.

Zabier, Agree with you on their mate, excellent post :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:26 pm

I feel sorry for the genuine protestors, who were exercising their right to a peaceful demonstration. It was just hijacked by the same 'protestors' who hijack all demonstrations just so they can go on some violent rampage, attacking anything that looks like it is the result of hard work. Maybe these students will get the degrees they want, get the job they want as a result of this, buy the trappings of the wealth they build up and have it smashed up by the next generation of 'demonstrator'. Oh, the irony

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm

milly44 wrote:but with fees going up. less kids going to uni, more kids leaving school for full time work, less work available???

Milly, spot on. It's not only something that will impact people immediately but in my opinion this decision will force the biggest cultural shift Britain has seen since Thatcher went.

Cheers Annis. I hope I'm just saying what many others feel. If people don't then I would love to see their arguments purely to open my eyes to other views. I won't lie, I'm only basing my opinion on my views and general shallow knowledge of the proposal to raise the fees. If someone knows more on it and disagrees with my view then please feel free to enlighten me because I don't want to come across as a know-it-all... when I don't know it all! :p

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHO IS ON THE STUDENTS SIDE ? "

I Honestly Believe Health and Education are what Britain Should put First, I Do Feel for those Students, But the way they Demonstrated and in My Opinion the Violence looked planned(it was more Violent than an over 18's Movie, I was glued to the Sky TV for 3 Hrs) , Lost them a lot of Sympathy from the British Public ?

But they are demonstrating for things like Health and Education for the future.

If we don't get the funding right (and I speak from having two daughters currently in education) then the doctors, teachers, dentists, etc of the future will be from a much reduced pool of "well to do families", surely that can't be right in a democratic, forward thinking society :(

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:36 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

If we don't get the funding right (and I speak from having two daughters currently in education) then the doctors, teachers, dentists, etc of the future will be from a much reduced pool of "well to do families", surely that can't be right in a democratic, forward thinking society :(

I Agree in their Right to Demonstrate and they were Right to, but its how they Demonstrated, Cost Our country Millions £'s in just Damage Alone .

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:37 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

The funny thing is that some of the most intelligent and hard working people I know come from poorer backgrounds. I don't think class or wealth should have any bearing on what education you are entitled to which is why these increased fees really piss me off.

Imagine if they did the same in football? Sorry Cristiano Ronaldo, you come from a less privileged background... Manchester United only accept the wealthiest players who can afford £9k a year. He'd never have become the player he is now. The same goes for thousands of others.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:42 pm

The increase in tuition fees was never voted for by the British people. The LibDems have shown no moral backbone (notable exceptions include Cardiff's own Jenny Willott) in their quest to grab power. They have behaved disgracefully in propping up a party which has no problem in discouraging the less well off to higher education. They lied and then lied again.

A high percentage of the LibDems increase in vote share came from the young and students, they are behaving with a righteous anger. I hope the actions of a few do not give the ConDem establishment the get out clause they crave.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm

100% Behind the students.

Think they went over the top though, as many said on here last night, if that was us in London, they would do everything to close us down and we'd all end up inside for years.

Many of the people there (in my opinion) were not students and were there just to kick off.

Last night, Sam posted a link to a Story with Cass in the Sun. Talking about the recent Birmingham trouble, he says, "This is more than people wanting a fight, Britain is an angry place. "No jobs, no money, there is widespread unrest. "You've got transport workers on strike, students rioting - it's pervading every level of society."

I agree, BRITAIN TODAY IS AN ANGRY PLACE

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Jenny Willott needed a f*cking large amount of persuasion though. I know two people who had private meetings with her hours before the vote who managed to make her do a u-turn because she was going to abstain at the most. It was only when people reminded her that she got voted in because of her anti-tuition fees argument that she realised if she voted for or abstained her position would be untenable. She's saved some face by doing a u-turn but the fact she only made this decision at the 11th hour has exposed her as just another politician.

I was always a Lib Dem voter because I felt they deserved a shot in these bad times where Conservatives and Labour have ballsed it up for everyone over the last 25 years. However, they've not taken their chance and instead have chosen the easy route by siding with the Conservatives. They've certainly lost my support.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Zabier wrote:
milly44 wrote:but with fees going up. less kids going to uni, more kids leaving school for full time work, less work available???

Milly, spot on. It's not only something that will impact people immediately but in my opinion this decision will force the biggest cultural shift Britain has seen since Thatcher went.

Cheers Annis. I hope I'm just saying what many others feel. If people don't then I would love to see their arguments purely to open my eyes to other views. I won't lie, I'm only basing my opinion on my views and general shallow knowledge of the proposal to raise the fees. If someone knows more on it and disagrees with my view then please feel free to enlighten me because I don't want to come across as a know-it-all... when I don't know it all! :p

The actual proposals are not that bad, at face value. No student pays up front for tuition fees and they can still apply Maintance loans.

Unfortunately at the end of say a 3 year course the total debt can easily amount to £30,000 or more. When the graduate begins to earn a salary they begin to repay the loan when their earnings exceed £21,000 p/a. apparently at that level the rate is £7 p/m.

However, the Government has attached a small interest rate and the amount you pay back will rise as your earnings increase. If after 30 years the loan isn't repaid the debt is cancelled. The 'debt' is not one which will ever land you in county court or affect your credit rating.

The drawbacks are obviously with the increase in tuition fees the loans will take longer to repay. Also for those who can't pay off the loans quickly the interest rate has an affect raising the tuition fees even further and finally the present day students are being asked to pay whilst people like David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Vince Cable who are the architects of the legislation were educated at university for free.

I can understand the students anger but it does-not justify the reaction yesterday, the same day as for instance 1,600 people lost their jobs due to defence cut backs.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:17 pm

I think the question has to be asked though what is a peacful protest if nothing but a bit of a whinge. I find it an odd thing that perplexes me a little as while not agreeing with violence etc what good does a simple protest do as the politicians etc will think "ok, you've had your whine, now lets carry on like good little boys and girls".

I guess it a question of whether a protest is really a protest unless there is some serious form of protestation???? A little walk with some banners does very little if anything at all as people will think that if that is the extent to which you are willing to go then its nothing really to worry about.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:32 pm

With the students all the way. Agreed they have overstepped the mark but the way the Lib Dems have deceived the voters is just as disgraceful.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Students from UK 57%
Students from EU 12%
Students from Overseas 31%

How do group 3 pay for their fee's. P.A.Y.E. ?

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:53 pm

rb1976 wrote:Students from UK 57%
Students from EU 12%
Students from Overseas 31%

How do group 3 pay for their fee's. P.A.Y.E. ?

My point is the students are having to fund the cost of universities beacause its out of control, just like everything else in this country! It has been mismanaged for years so why shouldn't they be pissed off with the rises proposed. (I'm pissed off fuel costs me 20p per litre than it did just over a year ago, now we just accept it. Remember the protests about that)

With regards to foreign students they are reaping the benefit of our education system which has been built by our tax money, not their's. Am I wrong to think that this is where some of this defecit has come from? I'm not having a pop about foreigners but

Cycle 1 - UK Man pays tax into system for 20 years his child goes to university pays fee's graduates earns money pay tax for 20 years his child goes to university ......... and so on

Overseas student man doesn't pay tax into system for 20 years child goes to university pays fee's graduates earns money pays tax for 20 years his child goes to university ......... and so on

anyone spot the deficit??

Anyway its all the governments fault whichever way you look at it and anyone who stand's up to it is quite right IMO. We should protest more about everything !!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I agree with the students but there is a way to go about it. Some of them have done themselves no favours with their behaviour and vandolism

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Not sure why anyone this side of the bridge would worry considering WAG are keeping tuition fees at the same rate for Welsh students for the future.

Something for students to think about that I got told a while ago mind...

I'm sure many have heard of people going to uni, getting the degree they want, coming out of uni only to end up working in McDonalds or Argos and lumped with a load of debt because there are no jobs available for them with their degree. If the rise in tuition fees were to happen, and you came out of uni (as a youngster with no ties - key point) with say £30,000 worth of debt for your degree then you could technically declare yourself bankrupt. Providing you didn't walk straight into a job with your chosen degree (and i know many who havn't, as mentioned above now working in McD's etc) then the Official Receiver couldn't really make u make any payments back aswell.

If anyone who deals with finances knows this is wrong mind, please say!! As i said its something i was told, so not 100% myself!

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:22 pm

i agree with the students and their actions.

it's about time we had a riot to show the government that they need to listen.
if they have to cut the funding to any dept it should be to the overseas aid, eu and other cashpits.
they can't moan that there's no money in the pot then give away large amounts to some disaster hit country.
i may seem heartless but lets look after our own country first.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:55 pm

im not on the side of the students at all, its a typical attitude of this country that you want everything now and dont want to suffer for it, basically something for nothing. If you want to study for something which will benefit society ill support you through grants which the NHS still offer and i dont mind my tax pounds supporting that, but i refuse to pay for some chav to study modern dance for 3 years. This country offers a free education up to the age of 18 whch is better than some countries. In America if you want to go to university you have to pay for it and america has some of the best universities in the world.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Zabier wrote:It's like a football club in my eyes Annis (yes, everything comes back to football). If you cut away the youth and the future investment then what are you left with in a generation? In these terrible times when so much is being lost the one thing we should preserve is the future.

Not sure i want the future of my country pissin on churchill memorial, swinging on the cenotaph and attacking cammie and prince charlie!! I know 90% of students are hard working and stayed away but these thugs were out of order. Annis you should write a book about them.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:05 pm

Students. Sometimes the only time a country takes notice, is when you give it a kick in the teeth.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:19 pm

ashccfc wrote:

Not sure i want the future of my country pissin on churchill memorial, swinging on the cenotaph and attacking cammie and prince charlie!! I know 90% of students are hard working and stayed away but these thugs were out of order. Annis you should write a book about them.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28349

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:56 pm

University education should be free for Britich subjects,the rest should pay through the nose.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Britains angry there's more of this to come!!

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:15 pm

defo not me

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Being a student myself I agree that they shouldnt be happy with the increase in fees, but I think it has gone wayyyyy too far now!