Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A Question Re: Due Diligence

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 am

I see I have created debate as to whether the Malaysians carried out the Due diligence prior to investing. I have a question for those who believe they did carry it out.

If the Malaysians carried out due diligence prior to investing, why then would Vincent Tan carry out due diligence again 6 weeks ago ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28154 :ayatollah:

Re: A Question Re: Due Diligence

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:32 am

The thing that worried me is that initially I thought due diligence was carried out. It seems VT jumped in head first without knowing what was going on.

Don't get me wrong, he saved the club, but he did so without assessing the finances before-hand?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:46 am

I can't say I'm bothered.Some people get to involved in the day to day running of the club.
get a life.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:48 am

carlccfc wrote:I see I have created debate as to whether the Malaysians carried out the Due diligence prior to investing. I have a question for those who believe they did carry it out.

If the Malaysians carried out due diligence prior to investing, why then would Vincent Tan carry out due diligence again 6 weeks ago ?

I think people are looking at this due dilligence thing a little bit negatively as I see it only as more very positive news for the club and in a way supports what you have been saying for months now and that is VT is taking a more hands on role at the club.

My understanding of the Malaysians initial investment was that it provided a much needed injection of cash in exchange for shares in the club. This offer which was placed before the shareholders in May effectively valued the club, I don't know the exact value by Annis is a shareholder and would have received the proposal, at that moment in time. However the shareholding fell short of a controlling interest but as the Malaysians have been effectively controlling the finances maybe they are about to take that controlling interest and that is why due dilligence is now being done.

My understanding was that there was another sizeable block of shares which the board are allowed to sell to bring in more investment, maybe VT is about to buy those shares, this will bring his personal shareholding to the point where he effectively becomes the new owner. Alternatively he may be about to bring a new investor on board either way this is not negative news and should be seen in a very positive light in my opinion. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 am

carlccfc wrote:I see I have created debate as to whether the Malaysians carried out the Due diligence prior to investing. I have a question for those who believe they did carry it out.

There are obviously other issues that have arisen to make Vincent Tan feel the need to carry out a Due Dilligence again, seems that it was originally carried out incompetently by the malaysians which i find embarrassing for them or if not carried out at all originally then i would find that extremely incompetent negotiating by some very shrewd business men which again is an embarrassment to them.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 am

Another crisis seems to be around the corner.
IF the Langston is not sorted then Due Diligence will be the last issue on fans minds.
What a load of nonsense is the suggestion that dj'S TRANSFER BUDGET WILL BE LINKED TO WERE WE ARE IN THE LEAGUE.
SO THE CURRENT PLAYERS NOW THAT IF THEY FLOP ,WHICH THEY WILL ,NO FUNDS WILL BE AVAILABLE TO REPLACE THEM.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:14 am

It's all in the words mate, I am sure the Malaysians had a good look at the club before they invested, just like all of us would, and they were obviously happy. Now they have had a deeper look at every single aspect, and call it due diligence, either way it makes no difference.

A good anolagy would be a professional Landlord or property Developer buying a house at auction, knowing that it was a good solid business proposition after having a look around, then getting the full structural survey done later.

When he first looked at it, he would have spotted the obvious problems and worked out what he needed to do to put it right.

Ww will be fine :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 am

You can only do due diligence on the information you are provided with and the malaysians were provided with that albeit a lot of mis information was provided by a certain nameless party.
the misunderstanding here carl is that were they given information to do their due diligence. yes they were in boxes sent to malaysia.
was certain items in that information like the ray ranson episode not a chance because there were other directors at the club who had no idea about this along with other episodes that jumped out of the woodwork.
One thing thats stands out for me here is that we were at last chance saloon with hmrc before the malaysians invested in may.
prior to that court appearance and subsequent investment the malaysians met with all the creditors to discuss the payment terms and to try and arrange repayment terms so they were aware of those outstanding debts then.
Even if you go as far as to say the malaysians took a gamble on us getting promoted to the premier league they still had the opportunity to bale out after we lost.
another point is if they did not have a clue where we were financially why did they fund the bellamy deal with man city.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Steve,

Spot on fella

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:51 pm

I am sure that some form of assessment was carried out by Tg and VT when they first invested. Let's not forget, at that time, they were only purchasing a shareholding of less than 50%. So whether you call it due diligence or "Had a good look" I am sure it was carried out.

I wonder whether now is the time that the full-scale buyout will take place - possibly by the Berjaya Group. If so it makes sense that a more comprehensive due diligence process takes place now.

Either way - I think we are in safe hands

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28154 :ayatollah:

In fairness to you Carl the only person whoever said the Malaysians were carrying out due diligence was Peter Ridsdale. Let's not forget that person has a colourful record in providing miss information and indeed from what I remember from the Muni Club meeting he said the due diligence was being carried out just after he told us investment "in the millions" was due that week.

TG might of had copies of players contracts and court transcripts when he met with Borley in March, but does that prove beyond reasonable doubt that a full due diligence had taken place by Vincent Tan?

The more I think about it the more I can see how we might of had the wool pulled over our eyes again by the lying Yorkshire fat b*stard.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I am sure that some form of assessment was carried out by Tg and VT when they first invested. Let's not forget, at that time, they were only purchasing a shareholding of less than 50%. So whether you call it due diligence or "Had a good look" I am sure it was carried out.

I wonder whether now is the time that the full-scale buyout will take place - possibly by the Berjaya Group. If so it makes sense that a more comprehensive due diligence process takes place now.

Either way - I think we are in safe hands

I was just about to post the same thing, does sound plausible.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:05 pm

My Opinion, The Riddler has managed once again been able Con Someone and get away with it and it looks like it was TG this time and The Riddlers got away with without Showing All the True Debts Cardiff City Owed, So thats why VT has had to go through all the Accounts/Books etc again.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:My Opinion, The Riddler has managed once again been able Con Someone and get away with it and it looks like it was TG this time and The Riddlers got away with without Showing All the True Debts Cardiff City Owed, So thats why VT has had to go through all the Accounts/Books etc again.

Whatever the answer is, you can bet it has something to do with that Yorkshire tw*t.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:My Opinion, The Riddler has managed once again been able Con Someone and get away with it and it looks like it was TG this time and The Riddlers got away with without Showing All the True Debts Cardiff City Owed, So thats why VT has had to go through all the Accounts/Books etc again.

Except the Malaysians were able to "inform" Borley about debts even he didn't know about, weren't they?

I believe they did carry out due diligence. I also believe they carried out the same task again, possibly to see how changes they've made, how debt renegotiations had changed the landscape.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Perhaps they are going farther back than the Riddler :D
Forensic Accountants maybe?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:46 pm

stickywicket wrote:Perhaps they are going farther back than the Riddler :D

That would certainly be a good call on your part - it's pretty obvious the Langston deadline is coming up, maybe they wanted to find any dirt on the person rumoured to be Langston?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:57 pm

nerd wrote:

Except the Malaysians were able to "inform" Borley about debts even he didn't know about, weren't they?

I believe they did carry out due diligence. I also believe they carried out the same task again, possibly to see how changes they've made, how debt renegotiations had changed the landscape.

There could be plenty of explanations to why TG knew about debts Borley had no idea about without a full due diligence taking place. Also Borley would have known things that TG didn't as our very own ihatealiens discovered when TG Emailed that he had no idea about the HMRC winding up order and IHA confronted Ridsdale about it at the Muni Club.

I have also wondered how the hell the Malaysians would have got hold of player contracts, which were apparently the 'real ones' rather the fake ones Ridsdale is supposed to have supplied. Let's be fair that would raise issues about data protection etc.

Of course the answer could be Borley accidently took them to Malaysia...........

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:59 pm

nerd wrote:

That would certainly be a good call on your part - it's pretty obvious the Langston deadline is coming up, maybe they wanted to find any dirt on the person rumoured to be Langston?

I would fully agree with you there.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:28 pm

"Tony Blue Williams"]"nerd"]

I would fully agree with you there.

debt now down to 7 million i would assume some information has been gathered.
with regards to forensic accountants they were in there the day that the club made the first attempt to get rid of the riddler.
that was the day of the secret 1 million pay off contract that was produced.
no amount of due diligence or forensic accounting will expose a contract that was locked up in someones draw as an insurance policy that no other board member had seen

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Perhaps we should call it the over due diligence. :o

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:55 pm

They may well have done it before hand, all seemed ok and then the skeletons appear from the wardrobe.

The most recent due diligence is a mop up exercise and may well dictate who much is available for DJ in January.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Due Dilligence is a good thing....

Once its done the club can put a "firm and accurate" figure on their balance sheet as to how much is owed and who too.

Lets not forget TG and VT have had an absolute mountain to climb even to get to this stage. They have done very well. They have acted honorably throughout and are well on the way to turning the club into a properly run professional outfit.

The very fact that they want more due diligence suggests that this is a long term investment.