Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do we only have one ball?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Sorry if this has been done before, but do we only have one ball on match days!?!?

It seems that whenever it goes out for a throw/goal kick/corner it can be ages before the ball gets back to the player. Given the amount of pace in the side surely we'd benefit from using some sort of multi ball system rather than allow the opposition time to re group and get back in position etc...........

Re: Do we only have one ball?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 pm

MJ9 wrote:Sorry if this has been done before, but do we only have one ball on match days!?!?

It seems that whenever it goes out for a throw/goal kick/corner it can be ages before the ball gets back to the player. Given the amount of pace in the side surely we'd benefit from using some sort of multi ball system rather than allow the opposition time to re group and get back in position etc...........

Well spotted. I noticed that in the Forest game. 1-0 down and had to wait for the ball to come back from the crowd FFS !

Other clubs have multi-ball and if they are down the balls come flying on - if they are winning they mysteriously disappear.

Anyone else seen this -or am I just being paranoid ??

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:39 pm

We do have more than one ball. Check for your self if you doubt me....(Sorry ladies, if you're tuned in :lol:)

Most referees (and I believe FA rules) prefer to start and finish with the same ball, if at all possible, for consistency and integrity reasons, i.e. they KNOW that the ball they walk out with is at the required standard.

There are, of course, occasions when a match ball can malfunction (e.g. go flat) or some divvy in the crowd refuses to give it back or, if you watch Fulham (or Hopkinstown in the Ponty League!! :lol: ) when the ball is hoofed out of the ground and into the nearest river (Thames or Taff in these examples :lol: ) where another ball is required to be put in play.

In these cases, you will often see the original ball sent back on to the field of play when an opportune moment arrives....

I know you'll be watching out for it in future!! :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: "Gissa ball back, mate!!" :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
MJ9 wrote:Sorry if this has been done before, but do we only have one ball on match days!?!?

Well spotted. I noticed that in the Forest game. 1-0 down and had to wait for the ball to come back from the crowd FFS !

Other clubs have multi-ball and if they are down the balls come flying on - if they are winning they mysteriously disappear.

Anyone else seen this -or am I just being paranoid ??

I've noticed that loads of times.

A lot of teams have it so that each ball boy has an extra ball, so that they can give a ball to the player straight away (if they are losing!) and then get the other ball from the crowd. Then there is the miraculous case of the missing ball when they are winning! :lol:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Some clubs withdrew it as there was too many occasions where there was more than one ball coming onto the park which led to games being stopped needlesly.

Boring fact no 324592

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 pm

The ball boys are largely useless, so slow.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

i may be wrong, but i think the home club has to agree with officials as to whether they want to use multi ball, or single ball system.
that way if the home team decide single ball, and go 0-1 down they cant suddenly start throwing balls on at the quickest possible oppurtunity.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Milly is right and i think it has not changed since lasr season - the club select at the start of the season which system they are using the one ball system or the multiball system and they have to then stay with it until a certain point in the season when they can change

I dont believe you can swap systems every game but dont quote me on it !

The debate should be around what ball system is better for our type of play !

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Dobbin wrote:Milly is right and i think it has not changed since lasr season - the club select at the start of the season which system they are using the one ball system or the multiball system and they have to then stay with it until a certain point in the season when they can change

The system can be set, but how it is used can be manipulated. I've seen occassions when the balls come back fast for the home team, but slowly for the away team.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Dobbin wrote:Milly is right and i think it has not changed since lasr season - the club select at the start of the season which system they are using the one ball system or the multiball system and they have to then stay with it until a certain point in the season when they can change

The system can be set, but how it is used can be manipulated. I've seen occassions when the balls come back fast for the home team, but slowly for the away team.

At Clydebank I've been known to have a ball on the terracing and fire it on at crucial points of the game, disrupting the flow :lol:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:We do have more than one ball. Check for your self if you doubt me....(Sorry ladies, if you're tuned in :lol:)

Most referees (and I believe FA rules) prefer to start and finish with the same ball, if at all possible, for consistency and integrity reasons, i.e. they KNOW that the ball they walk out with is at the required standard.

There are, of course, occasions when a match ball can malfunction (e.g. go flat) or some divvy in the crowd refuses to give it back or, if you watch Fulham (or Hopkinstown in the Ponty League!! :lol: ) when the ball is hoofed out of the ground and into the nearest river (Thames or Taff in these examples :lol: ) where another ball is required to be put in play.

In these cases, you will often see the original ball sent back on to the field of play when an opportune moment arrives....

I know you'll be watching out for it in future!! :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: "Gissa ball back, mate!!" :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I will be looking more closely in future ;)

Hopkinstown, :lol: is that the really narrow pitch with the 20ft fence around it and a steep bank covered in bushes down the other side. We used to play against castle Ivor there as well.

If we were under the cosh (or i was tiring) i'd just whack one over the fence. Get a good 5 mins rest then :lol:

Other clas sones for that were Bedlinog (side of a mountain) and trehafod which was our home ground for a bit - over the fence one side, onto the main road, the other side... into the Taff which was normally a torrent. great pitch mind, hardly ever got games postponed there.

The other one was the Pontcanna pitches near the river, anyone else had to wade in to collect a ball :lol:

These pros dont know they are born.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbsids2IQSU

Around 2mins 45 in was the last time I used such a trick 8-)

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:05 pm

hitler only had one ball aswell :lol:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:06 pm

We only have one ball.

Ridsdale stole them and put them on ebay to raise revenue for his failing business ventures.... :roll: :roll:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:10 pm

I remember one game Uriah Renney officiated a game at Ninian Park and we had a multi ball system and he kept going mad every throw in shouting "one ball" all the time.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 pm

PtB wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbsids2IQSU

That was a quality free kick.

Shame about the bad sportsmanship shown by the Clydebank fans. Ourtrageous.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:21 pm

our goalies keep giving them away???

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
PtB wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbsids2IQSU

That was a quality free kick.

Shame about the bad sportsmanship shown by the Clydebank fans. Ourtrageous.

Needs must! :lol: