Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

James Collins

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:51 pm

He is looking like a lower league player tonight, way out of his depth. As bad a first half performance I have ever seen from a centre back at Premiership level.

Re: James Collins

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Aye and guess what? he's coming back to us in January - u heard it here first ;)

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He is looking like a lower league player tonight, way out of his depth. As bad a first half performance I have ever seen from a centre back at Premiership level.

We had him at his best in My Opinion.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He is looking like a lower league player tonight, way out of his depth. As bad a first half performance I have ever seen from a centre back at Premiership level.

Totally agree Annis, I think he's on the decline now. He makes too many rash decisions for a centre back and gets caught out too often. I hope it isn't true that he's coming back to us in January, he is not the answer now. We need a centre back who may not have the best footballing ability, but can take everything in the air, have a bit of pace to cover and most important take up the correct positions and make the correct decisions. That's a lot to ask for a centre back at this level, but it's what we need.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Totally agree Annis, I think he's on the decline now. He makes too many rash decisions for a centre back and gets caught out too often. I hope it isn't true that he's coming back to us in January, he is not the answer now. We need a centre back who may not have the best footballing ability, but can take everything in the air, have a bit of pace to cover and most important take up the correct positions and make the correct decisions. That's a lot to ask for a centre back at this level, but it's what we need.

Collins is more than good enough for the Chamionship and is a step up compared to any player in our central defence.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

I thought he played well in the other Villa matches I've seen him in this season (albeit not that many). If he has been muck, then I think it's contagious because Dunne has been off the boil this season too.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Collins is more than good enough for the Chamionship and is a step up compared to any player in our central defence.

I'm sorry but on tonights performance, I have to disagree. He made mistake after mistake after mistake tonight. He was caught ball watching for the first goal and it seemed he genuinely didn't know where he was. Passing short when he should have hoofed it out of danger, hoofing it anywhere when a short option was on, stepping out to play offside when it wasn't on, diving into tackles instead of holding the player up, his decision making was erratic to say the least and if we had Collins in our defense on current form, our defense would be no better at all.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I'm sorry but on tonights performance, I have to disagree. He made mistake after mistake after mistake tonight. He was caught ball watching for the first goal and it seemed he genuinely didn't know where he was. Passing short when he should have hoofed it out of danger, hoofing it anywhere when a short option was on, stepping out to play offside when it wasn't on, diving into tackles instead of holding the player up, his decision making was erratic to say the least and if we had Collins in our defense on current form, our defense would be no better at all.

You can't judge a player on one bad performance. Have you watched any of his other games this season. In my view he has played quite well all season. maybe he's off the boil because his minds in another place ;) :lol:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:20 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

You can't judge a player on one bad performance. Have you watched any of his other games this season. In my view he has played quite well all season. maybe he's off the boil because his minds in another place ;) :lol:

To be honest I watch Collins closely whenever I see him play, as I do with any other ex City player. Collins' decision making seems to be getting worse and worse. I'm not sure if it's because he's had a few injuries, but he seems more and more erratic with his tackling and overall decision making. Countless times he's dived into tackles and got skinned lately, I think he needs to sort his head out more than anything and as we all know he can be a top defender when at his best.