Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" If You Were Dave Jones... ? "

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:29 am

With Bothroyd out for the next game how would you approach the starting line up and formation?

I have to say I would go 4-3-3. Only play 4-4-2 when Bothroyd, Chopra, Bellamy and Burke are all available.

My starting line up would be...

GK: Marshall
DR: Blake (if fit)
DL: McNaughton
DC: Hudson
DC: Gyepes
MC: Drinkwater
MC: Olofinjana
MC: Whittingham
AMR: Burke
AML: Bellamy
FC: Chopra/ Keogh (whoever is better in training - and I would tell them that as well so they're fighting for it)

I think in Bothroyd's absence we need to make it crucial that the ball is kept on the floor. In training they should punish any aerial balls and we get back to playing the football we play best. Passing triangular quick moving football.

I know not everyone will agree with this so hopefully we can come to the best solution by other people contributing their ideas. What do you all reckon?

Re: If You Were Dave Jones...

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 am

GK - Heaton (Or Marshall depending on Heaton's injury/fitness)
DR - McNaughton
DC - Hudson
DC - Blake
DL - Naylor
MC - Olofinjana
MC - McPhail
ML - Whittingham
MR - Burke
ST - Bellamy
ST - Chopra

Free-flowing 4-4-2.

Either that or 4-3-3;

GK - Heaton (Or Marshall depending on Heaton's injury/fitness)
DR - McNaughton
DC - Hudson
DC - Blake
DL - Naylor
MC - McPhail
DMC - Olofinjana
MC - Whittingham
RW - Burke
LW - Bellamy
ST - Chopra

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Sorry Dafydd, but why would you play Bellamy up front?? :?

He has built his career playing attacking left wing and has done very well in that position. He is wasted playing in the middle..

Just my opinion

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:04 pm

themadhatter wrote:Sorry Dafydd, but why would you play Bellamy up front?? :?

He has built his career playing attacking left wing and has done very well in that position. He is wasted playing in the middle..

Just my opinion

Change of option, I assume we could use him as a long-ball-through-ball player, his pace would blow defenders away. Just opinion :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Dafydd wrote:
themadhatter wrote:Sorry Dafydd, but why would you play Bellamy up front?? :?

Just my opinion

Change of option, I assume we could use him as a long-ball-through-ball player, his pace would blow defenders away. Just opinion :ayatollah:

I would agree with you, however, we have tried him in the middle a few times now. And to be honest, it just isn't working... Dave Jones needs to get off his high horse concerning Chopra, and play the best side possible... Leaving Chopra to warm the bench doesn't do much really does it?

I think your 4-3-3 squad you have posted above would be the best option for us at the moment. Heaton is out for a few weeks though :cry:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:46 pm

prob get abused for this but maybe stick keogh up front with chops and then bellamy on left burke on right and whitts and oli in middle?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Id play an attacking 3-5-2
as Bothroyd is out
From left to right :ayatollah:
Marshall
McNaughton Blake Mathews

Burke Koumas Olifinjana Mcphail Whittingham

Chopra Bellamy

On the bench: Naylor, Heaton, Hudson, Drinkwater, Wildig, Keogh

Why i would play Koumas and mcphail is simple they desperaltely need first team football imo and i think. I think players like Wildig and players thats not playing needs reserve team football to keep them fresh.

We 100 percent need January signings to give us more options i mean i had to. this is my opinion tho.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Zabier wrote:With Bothroyd out for the next game how would you approach the starting line up and formation?

I have to say I would go 4-3-3. Only play 4-4-2 when Bothroyd, Chopra, Bellamy and Burke are all available.

FC: Chopra/ Keogh (whoever is better in training - and I would tell them that as well so they're fighting for it)

I think in Bothroyd's absence we need to make it crucial that the ball is kept on the floor. In training they should punish any aerial balls and we get back to playing the football we play best. Passing triangular quick moving football.

I know not everyone will agree with this so hopefully we can come to the best solution by other people contributing their ideas. What do you all reckon?

I think I'd be sending in my application form to Newcastle United :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 pm

I'd go in with:

Marshall

McNaughton/Hudson/Blake/Naylor

Burke/Drinkwater/Whittingham/Bellamy

Keogh/Chopra

I thought Keogh did ok on Saturday and I'd drop Olly is more mobile.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Zabier wrote:With Bothroyd out for the next game how would you approach the starting line up and formation?

I think I'd be sending in my application form to Newcastle United :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate, too good for them! :D

Football is a simple game really. I liked Dafydd's 4-4-2 suggestion and would definitely consider it. Bellamy has showed moments up top but personally, I'd prefer him out wide in a three pronged attack. We need to get him more involved though.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm not sure if we're over complicating things, all we need to do is just stop hoofing the ball forward and use our wingers as...wingers. If only we just passed the ball like against Leeds, then we could be out of this mess.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:32 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I'm not sure if we're over complicating things, all we need to do is just stop hoofing the ball forward and use our wingers as...wingers. If only we just passed the ball like against Leeds, then we could be out of this mess.

To be fair... sense prevails! Can we put this man in the changing room before kick off? :)

Re: " If You Were Dave Jones... ? "

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:38 am

I would go 4-4-1-1 with Whittingham in the 'hole' position. The team would get specific instructions not to aimlessly boot the ball up field but instead get the ball to Whits who would act as playmaker either feeding through to the lone striker or the supporting midfield players.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:11 pm

Give Keogh a go up top on his own. use the complete width of the pitch.
keep the ball on the deck. You HAVE to have someone up there who can
at least hold the ball up long enough for the midfielders and wingers to
get up in support. Not sure Chops can do that on his own

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Personally, I don't think Keogh is suited to being up there on his own. He won so many headers when he was last up there on his own that it would make sense to have Chopra or Bellamy playing off him. I don't mind Keogh though. I think criticism of him is very unfair and if in the right set up with the right players alongside him he could be a decent cover for Bothroyd but we'd need to change the way we play sadly.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:59 pm

DR: Mathews
DL McNaughton
MR: Burke
ML: Bellamy
FC: Chopra
FC: Keogh

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Marshall
Naylor
Gypes
Hudson
Super Kev
Witts
Drinkwater
McPhail
Burke
Bellamy
Keogh

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm

taffyapple wrote:Give Keogh a go up top on his own. use the complete width of the pitch.
keep the ball on the deck. You HAVE to have someone up there who can
at least hold the ball up long enough for the midfielders and wingers to
get up in support. Not sure Chops can do that on his own

How about Olly playing up front on his own?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Good Debate Zabier :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: