Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

steward yesterday

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:36 pm

for the first time in ages me and my son arrived at the ground early, during the players warm up my son asked the goal keeper if he could have the ball, 2 mins later he threw a ball over is head to my boy however it didnt get there, 2 mins later burke shot the ball it went wide that goal keeper pointed at my son and said have that one mate, with is delight he came up to me and showed me the ball.

just after ko a steward supervisor came up to him and told my son that he wants the ball back, after a few word exchanges from myself my son gave him the ball back to which he was compleatly gutted. before he gave him the ball back he kissed the ball and gave it back,

to me this is theft as the goal keeper said he could have it after all my son is 9 years of age, hes been a season ticket holder since he was 3 half and prob been involved with cardiff alaot longer

these steward are arseholes,

any idea who i complain to

Re: steward yesterday

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm

im not sure m8, but there would be no way on earth i would have given it back, you should have refused and told the nearest copper :old:

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:47 pm

When exactly did the keeper buy the football? Wasn't his to give away so claiming "theft" when an employee of the club was retrieving club property is absolute bs.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 pm

that young lad would have cherished that ball for the rest of his life, it costs a mere £9.99 for god sake think of the amount of hard earned money us fans give to the club, the steward is a tw*t :old:

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:57 pm

ristey1927 wrote:that young lad would have cherished that ball for the rest of his life, i costs a mere £9.99 for god sake think of the amount of hard earned money us fans give to the club, the steward is a tw*t :old:

LMFAO - those "£10" footballs cost £75-85 quid. They aren't bought at Hypervalue, you know.

Cherish,blah, blah,lah. It's still a cost to the club, like it or not. Santiago had zero authority to give a ball away. The club authorised a steward to return it.

Whining about "theft" is ludicrous.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:05 pm

It is a shame he had to give it back, But if every kid who wanted a match ball got one we would be in one hell of a mess. :?

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:05 pm

so if the players throw their shirts into the crowd atfer a big win (the players have no right to give away the property of the club) will the stewards go into the crowd and get them back ?

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:10 pm

ristey1927 wrote:so if the players throw their shirts into the crowd atfer a big win (the players have no right to give away the property of the club) will the stewards go into the crowd and get them back ?

Usually in that case, the player is charged for the shirt. May be exceptions, but that's usually been the case.

Like it or not, the club got a supervisor to retrieve club property. That's club property. That's the club's decision,.

If whoever posted this thread believes it was "theft", then file a report with the police or get a lawyer to persue a private case. Good luck on both counts, eh?

Numerous footballs during warmups end up behind the goals. If you want the club to have to pay hundreds each game, well, that's not going to happen.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:16 pm

all im saying is that the player gave the ball to the lad and i feel that he should have kept it (its only a one off) and like u said maybe that player should have been charged for it, i cant imagine how gutted he must of felt having to give it back ! call me a soft sod but thats my opinion :D

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:19 pm

ristey1927 wrote:all im saying is that the player gave the ball to the lad and i feel that he should have kept it (its only a one off) and like u said maybe that player should have been charged for it, i cant imagine how gutted he must of felt having to give it back ! call me a soft sod but thats my opinion :D

Soft sod :lol:

I'm not totally disagreeing with you from a fan viewpoint, from a more legal perspective, it's still club property, always remained club property so it's up to the club what they do.

I'm pretty sure if a complaint was made the club may do something, for PR reasons rather than legal ones, and someone will have a lengthy word in Santiago's ear.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:29 pm

nerd wrote:When exactly did the keeper buy the football? Wasn't his to give away so claiming "theft" when an employee of the club was retrieving club property is absolute bs.

You're living up to your name here, mate!! :ugeek:

The goalkeeper is an employee of Cardiff City Football Club and gave the ball to the boy in good faith. The steward HAD NO RIGHT to take the ball back, as it was not lost or stolen but given by said employee....therfore, NO OFFENCE WAS COMMITTED ;)

IF the club wanted to take it up with the goaleeper than that would be their perrogative and the worst (but unlikely) scenario is that they would make the goalkeeper PAY for the ball out of his wages....and that would be childish (oops!!) :roll:

Put basically, IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STEWARD and I sincerely hope that someone from the club or even from this great site with a little influence (ANNIS????) can arrange for this wrong to be righted!! :ayatollah:

FAO Others: Please don't class ALL stewards as 'numpties' as I genuinely believe that the vast majority do a great job for Cardiff City Football Club....and I certainly don't envy the tough task thay have with some of us on a match day!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: "All we are singing, is give us the ball!!" :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Point you're missing, Sven, is that Santiago isn't in position to make the decision to give club property away, whether you like tat or not. Club were well within their rights to get their property back.

You go into Subways, guy behind counter gives you something for nothing. Hate to break it to you, he's not in position of authority to do that.

I'm no doubt the club will sort something out if contacted. Just don't pretend this was "theft" as originally claimed, that would get laughed out of court.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:30 pm

can see both sides that it aint his ball to give away, and i do agree with that all stewards aint clowns, in fact the one steward by me said how childish it was,

i was really gutted for my boy as it did really mean alot to him to have that ball so much so he kissed it when he gave it back, im not going to write to the club but if my son wants to thats up to him, that was the first time in 101 games that he as been given the ball as a 9 year old 101 games aint bad how many plastic fans of any age pose to be cardiff fans and seem to get loads out of the club

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Nerd, you claudeblue? Its a ball

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:47 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:Nerd, you claudeblue? Its a ball

Very good,try reading my posts.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:48 pm

natman wrote:for the first time in ages me and my son arrived at the ground early, during the players warm up my son asked the goal keeper if he could have the ball, 2 mins later he threw a ball over is head to my boy however it didnt get there, 2 mins later burke shot the ball it went wide that goal keeper pointed at my son and said have that one mate, with is delight he came up to me and showed me the ball.

just after ko a steward supervisor came up to him and told my son that he wants the ball back, after a few word exchanges from myself my son gave him the ball back to which he was compleatly gutted. before he gave him the ball back he kissed the ball and gave it back,

to me this is theft as the goal keeper said he could have it after all my son is 9 years of age, hes been a season ticket holder since he was 3 half and prob been involved with cardiff alaot longer

these steward are arseholes,

any idea who i complain to

This is what's killing the cardiff city experience for me.... what a f*cking arsehole that steward is :(

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:21 am

nerd wrote:Point you're missing, Sven, is that Santiago isn't in position to make the decision to give club property away, whether you like tat or not. Club were well within their rights to get their property back.

You go into Subways, guy behind counter gives you something for nothing. Hate to break it to you, he's not in position of authority to do that.

I'm no doubt the club will sort something out if contacted. Just don't pretend this was "theft" as originally claimed, that would get laughed out of court.

A VERY contradictary reply, nerd....

You harp on about the 'Subway' example (and you ARE legally incorrect on THAT point too!!) and STATE that he's not in a position of AUTHORITY to do that....

Hmmm, I think you'll find that IF he did give a sandwich away (similar to the aforementioned ball) that as a REPRESENTATIVE of his company ANY potential charge of theft (however unlikely) would be aimed at the employee and NOT the poor kid who had received a 'freebie' IN GOOD FAITH from said employee of the company (or in our case, the football club) possibly resulting in his/her dismaissal (more likely a bollocking and having to pay for the goods out of his/her wages)

You further undo your already sloppy statement by declaring: "Just don't pretend this was "theft" as originally claimed, that would get laughed out of court."

I can only assume (please correct me IF I am wrong) that you actually meant: "Just don't pretend this was NOT "theft" as originally claimed" OR you are actually agreeing with those of us who believe the steward was WRONG to do what he did??

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am

here we go lol, as im sure alot of you are aware i am a steward to me this is a daft call if i had the option i would have let the kid keep the ball, for the child it would of been a great thing and would have ranted and raved to all his friends about this ball. I dont know why but the club are really overprotective about their footballs and they will send waves upon waves of stewards to retrive missing balls and this is something new it was the same at Ninian Park. If you want to make a complaint contact Toni Jones or Wayne Nash at the club but i cant see you getting very far with it.