Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Cardiff City v Preston 4th Dec 2010 "

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 pm

I arrived at CCS two hours earlier than usual. I thought my trip from Derby would be hampered by the weeks weather. This could nor be so far from the truth as once I was out of my cul de sac, that was covered in snow, it was a clear run. So when you allow for an extra two hours then find out you dont need it, you end up getting there two hours early. It does not take an genious to work that out but it did cost me over £100 of shopping in the club shop. Had to waste some of the two hours somehow.

The Ninian pub was strangly deserted as time approached for our gathering. It did evetually fill up nearer KO time but for long periods before hand it was empty when you would expect it to be spilling over. Very strange but not as strange as inside CCS where I sat, block 117. This was strange indeed as I heard a few Cardiff fans singing "Can you hear the Cardiff sing" and " Cardiff is a library". Very strange and only to be matched by the football on the pitch.

Cardiff saw the return of Marshall to the side where he replaced Heaton because of injury. Mcphail got a starting place ahead of the injuried or possible unfit Drinkwater. Everything else was as expected with Hudson, Blake, Naylor and MacNaughton being the defence. Oli, Whitts, Burke completed the midfield with McPhail leaving Bellamy and Bothroyd as the attackers. A fairly strong lineup that should be able to see of the bottom team Preston.

Like alot of games its the underdogs that usually produce the first chance. A poorly headed clearance by Hudson left a Preston striker a free volley on the edge of the area. Fortunately volley was poorly executed and the ball went well wide of the left post. This spured Cardiff into life but not for the good.

A threw ball from midfield allowed Bothroyd to get behind the Preston defence and onto a clear chance at goal. However Jay struggled to get to the ball as his movement looked uncomfortable. He managed to produce a weak shot at goal that the goalkeeper pushed away for a corner but this was the last action for the England international. His hand behind his leg told us the story.

Cardiff played on for a few minutes with 10 men until Keogh finally got the chance to come on. This was Andys chance and he took it well becoming the man of the match. He started brightly by working well with Bellamy down the wing. The end product was not there but the build up play looked promising. When the end product did come it was not by the Cardiff.

A clumsey foul by Hudson on the edge of the Cardiff area on the 26 minute mark gave Preston their seconds and last chance of the game. The Cardiff wall looked solid enough as Micheal Tonge took the free kick. Looks can be deceiving and this was proved as the ball took a deflection through the wall and into the net for a Preston goal.

From the restart Cardiff took the game to Preston but made very little headway. So little was the headway that aisle 117 started the chorus "Jonesy Jonsey sort it out". Once again the game was being lost in midfield as the Cardiff players made every effort to get back into the game. When Cardiff did make some headway it was desperate defending by the Preston defence that saved the day for them. Bellamy has two chances, one from long range and another inside the area, each efforts being blocked. Burke was having some success down his wing but his crosses were not being met. Overall this displeasured the home support who at half time expressed themselves as they booed the players of the pitch. A bit harsh I felt as the players were giving it 100% but where struggling with the tactics.

The second half and it was all Cardiff. From the start Preston decided to defend deeply but restricted to Cardiff to long shots. The best coming from Silver haired MacNuahgton to forced an excellent save from the Preston keeper Lonergan. Whittingham managed to created some opening for himself but his efforts went wide of the mark. Cardiff then went for it by bringing on Chopra in an all out attack. However the Preston defence held firm and looked for the counter as Cardiff committed.

Cardiff applied the direct route with Keogh winning a number of headers but his touch on were not being read. Cardiff then changed their tactics by attacking down both sets of wings. Burke managed to get a few crosses in but these were being handled very well by the stubborn Preston defence. However as the game went into injury time Gyppess, who replaced Blake in the first half, managed to connect with a cross only to see his effort cleared of the line. It looked like the visitors were going to hang on to the three points.

In a last ditch attempt at the Preston goal when we all were listening out for the final whistle a cross found Oli who somehow got his head to the ball. His header had no aim to it but it bound its way to a waiting Keogh about a yard of the goal line. Andy made a diving header for the ball, connected and put it into an empty net. The cheer from the home support was, well, not that load because most of them had left about 10 minutes earlier. The referee brought the game to an end at 1-1.

Summing up. It was a dank day weather wise and it was followed by a dank football game. Against the bottom club it was a poor result. This time though the players made effort but did not dwell as a team. No one had a real bad game but the performance was not good. It has been said there were 24 attempts at goal but I only saw a handful of saves from their keeper. So the effort was there so what was missing?

Re: Sticky: " Match report Cardiff City v Preston 4th Dec 2010 "

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:57 pm

good report....... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Another Great Match Report Ian, But I do Disagree with you about the Ninian Park Pub, By 2pm it was pretty packed(at 12.50pm Quite empty), but as to our stadium that was empty.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:17 pm

I enjoy your reports as they usually coincide with my opinions of the game. Plenty of effort an spirit which on other occasions has been lacking. Despite the poor result it was one of the better Bothroydless performances of the season.

Disappointed to hear that block 117 was boooing and negative - I always thought that this was where the main "city till I die" fans were located and expect more encouragement than that.

9 out of 10 for effort - 5 out of 10 for execution.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Another Great Match Report Ian, But I do Disagree with you about the Ninian Park Pub, By 2pm it was pretty packed(at 12.50pm Quite empty), but as to our stadium that was empty.

I usually get there at 1 o'clock and its packed. Today at that time it was fairly empty which surprised me.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:21 pm

bluebird58 wrote:I enjoy your reports as they usually coincide with my opinions of the game. Plenty of effort an spirit which on other occasions has been lacking. Despite the poor result it was one of the better Bothroydless performances of the season.

Disappointed to hear that block 117 was boooing and negative - I always thought that this was where the main "city till I die" fans were located and expect more encouragement than that.

Block 117 surprised me as well.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:25 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Another Great Match Report Ian, But I do Disagree with you about the Ninian Park Pub, By 2pm it was pretty packed(at 12.50pm Quite empty), but as to our stadium that was empty.

I usually get there at 1 o'clock and its packed. Today at that time it was fairly empty which surprised me.

Your right Ian, it is usually packed by 1pm, I take it back :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:26 pm

bluebird58 wrote:I enjoy your reports as they usually coincide with my opinions of the game. Plenty of effort an spirit which on other occasions has been lacking. Despite the poor result it was one of the better Bothroydless performances of the season.

I COULD HERE Boos from all over the ground, but Not where I was standing in 116 Ninian Stand. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I arrived at CCS two hours earlier than usual. I thought my trip from Derby would be hampered by the weeks weather. This could nor be so far from the truth as once I was out of my cul de sac, that was covered in snow, it was a clear run. So when you allow for an extra two hours then find out you dont need it, you end up getting there two hours early. It does not take an genious to work that out but it did cost me over £100 of shopping in the club shop. Had to waste some of the two hours somehow.

The Ninian pub was strangly deserted as time approached for our gathering. It did evetually fill up nearer KO time but for long periods before hand it was empty when you would expect it to be spilling over. Very strange but not as strange as inside CCS where I sat, block 117. This was strange indeed as I heard a few Cardiff fans singing "Can you hear the Cardiff sing" and " Cardiff is a library". Very strange and only to be matched by the football on the pitch.

Cardiff saw the return of Marshall to the side where he replaced Heaton because of injury. Mcphail got a starting place ahead of the injuried or possible unfit Drinkwater. Everything else was as expected with Hudson, Blake, Naylor and MacNaughton being the defence. Oli, Whitts, Burke completed the midfield with McPhail leaving Bellamy and Bothroyd as the attackers. A fairly strong lineup that should be able to see of the bottom team Preston.

Like alot of games its the underdogs that usually produce the first chance. A poorly headed clearance by Hudson left a Preston striker a free volley on the edge of the area. Fortunately volley was poorly executed and the ball went well wide of the left post. This spured Cardiff into life but not for the good.

A threw ball from midfield allowed Bothroyd to get behind the Preston defence and onto a clear chance at goal. However Jay struggled to get to the ball as his movement looked uncomfortable. He managed to produce a weak shot at goal that the goalkeeper pushed away for a corner but this was the last action for the England international. His hand behind his leg told us the story.

Cardiff played on for a few minutes with 10 men until Keogh finally got the chance to come on. This was Andys chance and he took it well becoming the man of the match. He started brightly by working well with Bellamy down the wing. The end product was not there but the build up play looked promising. When the end product did come it was not by the Cardiff.

A clumsey foul by Hudson on the edge of the Cardiff area on the 26 minute mark gave Preston their seconds and last chance of the game. The Cardiff wall looked solid enough as Micheal Tonge took the free kick. Looks can be deceiving and this was proved as the ball took a deflection through the wall and into the net for a Preston goal.

From the restart Cardiff took the game to Preston but made very little headway. So little was the headway that aisle 117 started the chorus "Jonesy Jonsey sort it out". Once again the game was being lost in midfield as the Cardiff players made every effort to get back into the game. When Cardiff did make some headway it was desperate defending by the Preston defence that saved the day for them. Bellamy has two chances, one from long range and another inside the area, each efforts being blocked. Burke was having some success down his wing but his crosses were not being met. Overall this displeasured the home support who at half time expressed themselves as they booed the players of the pitch. A bit harsh I felt as the players were giving it 100% but where struggling with the tactics.

The second half and it was all Cardiff. From the start Preston decided to defend deeply but restricted to Cardiff to long shots. The best coming from Silver haired MacNuahgton to forced an excellent save from the Preston keeper Lonergan. Whittingham managed to created some opening for himself but his efforts went wide of the mark. Cardiff then went for it by bringing on Chopra in an all out attack. However the Preston defence held firm and looked for the counter as Cardiff committed.

Cardiff applied the direct route with Keogh winning a number of headers but his touch on were not being read. Cardiff then changed their tactics by attacking down both sets of wings. Burke managed to get a few crosses in but these were being handled very well by the stubborn Preston defence. However as the game went into injury time Gyppess, who replaced Blake in the first half, managed to connect with a cross only to see his effort cleared of the line. It looked like the visitors were going to hang on to the three points.

In a last ditch attempt at the Preston goal when we all were listening out for the final whistle a cross found Oli who somehow got his head to the ball. His header had no aim to it but it bound its way to a waiting Keogh about a yard of the goal line. Andy made a diving header for the ball, connected and put it into an empty net. The cheer from the home support was, well, not that load because most of them had left about 10 minutes earlier. The referee brought the game to an end at 1-1.

Summing up. It was a dank day weather wise and it was followed by a dank football game. Against the bottom club it was a poor result. This time though the players made effort but did not dwell as a team. No one had a real bad game but the performance was not good. It has been said there were 24 attempts at goal but I only saw a handful of saves from their keeper. So the effort was there so what was missing?

the effort was there Ian but it lacked quality. :ayatollah:

good report again but the Ninian was roofed :D

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks for the report Ian :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:28 pm

cheers mate, great report as usual

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:41 am

excellent report thanks :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 am

cheers ian, i still owe you for that breakfast, remind me next game :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Great report, shame about the result!

Re: " Match report Cardiff City v Preston 4th Dec 2010 "

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:09 am

Cheers Ian, I look forward to Boro's Match Report from yourself :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: