Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE ROYAL FAMILY

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:36 pm

What do they do and what benefits do they bring for this Country ?

People tell me they are ambassadors for the Country but surely there are others who are ambassadors for the Country, more who are in touch with the people.

People tell me they bring in Tourism but I have been top London many times and done the tourism bit and yes I saw 100 or so people milling around the palace taking photos but I have also been to Florida a few times and there seemed to be a few more people at the parks than Buckingham Palace so I say replace Buckingham Palace with a Disney theme park and that will bring in a lot more money from tourism.

So what you reckon Royal houses or Disney Parks ?

The Queen or Mickey Mouse ?

Re: THE ROYAL FAMILY

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Mickey mouse any day...

But I cant imagine a good reason why Pluto should get an MBE though LOL :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:06 pm

carlccfc wrote:What do they do and what benefits do they bring for this Country ?

People tell me they are ambassadors for the Country but surely there are others who are ambassadors for the Country, more who are in touch with the people.

People tell me they bring in Tourism but I have been top London many times and done the tourism bit and yes I saw 100 or so people milling around the palace taking photos but I have also been to Florida a few times and there seemed to be a few more people at the parks than Buckingham Palace so I say replace Buckingham Palace with a Disney theme park and that will bring in a lot more money from tourism.

I grew up in a fiercely republican household and as I got older I shared my dads view that they were a bunch of sponging toffs.

Over the years I can see their pull in terms of tourism but instictively i think it's time to get rid.

Mind you there's 45,000 at Ibrox tonight who'd disagree with me. The Gers fans seem to think the sun shines out of Elizabeths arse.
Last edited by alfie sherwood on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:06 pm

carlccfc wrote:What do they do and what benefits do they bring for this Country ?

carl;,i believe that the royals were a fantastic asset for this country regarding tourism etc,but the last 20 years they have fallen apart and let us the pessants down badly, :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:07 pm

In my opinion they leech off the british people. Not sure on the correct figure but heard they claim around £40 million a year from the taxpayers. Technically we will be paying for this royal wedding everyone is making a fuss about, but hey ho it's alright, they are kind enough to give us a day off.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 pm

yes there are other ambassadors for the country such as politicians and the prime minister, but no one from this country has more respect than the queen, people listen to her and respect her opinion from other heads of state, religious leaders, politicians and normal people. The royal family produces an immense ammount of money for charity just by putting their name to a charity.
As for tourism yes they are a tourist attraction and people do come and visit buckingham palace, but disney will probably make more money lol.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Carl
I am Not for All the Cousins etc etc of the Royal Family, But I believe the Queen has Served England Very Well, The Money that She Brings in to London is Second to none, Rem She pays Taxs as well. The Americans Are very Jealous, But Also admire that England has History and Have Royalty.

Disney Nearly came to Margam Near you, But I think some back handers got it to Paris.
London Could Not Cope with The Traffic Disney would pull, But I Would Love The UK to have A Disney Land :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I am Not for All the Cousins etc etc of the Royal Family, But I believe the Queen has Served England Very Well, The Money that She Brings in to London is Second to none, Rem She pays Taxs as well. The Americans Are very Jealous, But Also admire that England has History and Have Royalty.

Disney Nearly came to Margam Near you, But I think some back handers got it to Paris.
London Could Not Cope with The Traffic Disney would pull, But I Would Love The UK to have A Disney Land :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Barry Island not good enough for you,Annis :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I am Not for All the Cousins etc etc of the Royal Family, But I believe the Queen has Served England Very Well, The Money that She Brings in to London is Second to none, Rem She pays Taxs as well. The Americans Are very Jealous, But Also admire that England has History and Have Royalty.

We haven't got the weather for Disney in the UK (neither has Paris mind !)

One of the reasons why Disney/Universal in Orlando is so great is that the weather is usually good. Britain is just too grey and damp.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

i like Jim in it, but Lurkey isnt the best character! :D

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 pm

abf9 wrote:

Barry Island not good enough for you,Annis :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Actually I Love going for a Walk down there :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:38 pm

From a constitutional point of view the Queen is of course very important, in reality she is just a figurehead for the political tosspots who only seem to want to tax us to death whilst telling us we've never had it so good. She is also the head of the Church Of England and of course we should all thank here for getting us an extra bank holiday everytime one of her kids or grand kids gets married. God Bless I say everyone one of them, except Charles of course who is the biggest adulterous tw*t to ever set foot on this earth and in my opinion should never become King. And don't even start me on should his wife ever become Queen as for me that would be the straw that breaks the camels back, far better give her a title like the Duchess of Monkey Facing The Prince Of Wales or something similar. But IMO that would be to good for her :lol: :lol:

On a more positive note if you want to see how the royal family affect tourism visit Windsor almost any day, tourism is big business there. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:25 pm

shoot the fuckin lot of em

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:30 pm

maesteg bluebird wrote:shoot the fuckin lot of em

regicide its been a while since anybody has been accused of that think of the money you will make from book sales and film rights.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Rumour has it that the Queen loves it up the dirt box

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:37 pm

It`s worth having the Royal Family just for Prince Phillip :lol:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Probably on my own here, but I actually quite like the Royal familiy. Not the clingers on though.

Looking forward to the wedding next year!!! Well the long weekend anyway :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:47 pm

I dont really think anything of the Royal Family. I dont see them as mine
and unlike when I was younger see no reason to insult them, or make
comments as to their validity or worth to the English... not my business...

I doubt anywhere in Britain gets much out of the Royal Family in terms
of tourists except for London though, and I cant imagine London sending
a percentage of the profits to the other regions of England :lol:

They certainly bring f**k all to Wales. Never have, never will

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:48 pm

I don't give a f**k.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 pm

Its all Bollox if you ask me :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm

The Queen and immediate family - yes fair enough. They pay there way (sort of) with tourism etc and head of government. A President would cost a few quid if we had one of them.The cousins like the Kents etc. - should have no public money.

The Queen etc are lucky it is them, but then so are lottery winners and rich kids who get it handed down to them.

I'm just jealous.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm getting the best of both next year as I'll be in Disneyworld florida when the Royal Wedding takes place. I bet the Americans will be more interested in the Royal wedding than I am.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:53 pm

I don't understand how anyone with any self respect can be a monarchist.

I am a citizen not a subject!

I don't care if a few thousand American or Japanese tourists want to hang around Buckingham Palace with their camcorders.

It is time to end the constitutional disgrace of inherited power for a bunch of thieving aristocrats - and time to end the national embarrassment of the tabloid soap opera that has run for so many decades.... and left us with a farce without even the traditional nauseating display of deference or respect.

Time for a republic!

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:07 am

Whatever you say about them, they have far less of a front than any of the leading politicians. With Philip, Charles (well lately) you get what you see. That's a very important trait.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:11 am

Im sure the english love her, But sorry Im Welsh and she and the rest of them have nothing to do we Wales. We have her Son Charlie who was forced on us to stop the problems that started up again for real when the english flooded a whole Valley.

What the hell do the people of Wales want to do with a load of germanys and Greeks? Lets Remember our own Welsh prince that gave his life to free the people of Wales, Llywelyn ap Gruffydd.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:58 am

The Queen or Mickey Mouse?? Now here's a thought for you....you've NEVER actually seen them in the same place together have you?? There's a question to be asked there.... :lol:

Actually, I think it's a case of 'everyone's entitled to their opinion' on the Royal Family....good or bad. Personally, I think they do a striling job for this country and we should be proud to have the heritage that we do. Soetimes it goes way beyond simple finance and people have to look at the wider picture....

I've said it before but here goes again: "Don't overly judge these people until you have walked a mile in their shoes". The work these people do behind the scenes and the life they give up 'in the line of duty' should afford them greater repect. None of us would want to swap with them....and we most certainly (as a nation) turn to them in times of trouble and/or ceremony.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:32 pm

I think we should get shot of them asap. Or get them shot, either way I'd be happy. The French got rid of thier monarchy years ago and Paris still gets more tourists per year than London and that's without the six foot mouse and his pricey theme park. Alternatively maybe we could open a royal zoo theme park, f**k, I'd pay to see Phil the greek swing from tree to tree while his missus was doing aquatic tricks for fish.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Carl
I am Not for All the Cousins etc etc of the Royal Family, But I believe the Queen has Served England Very Well, The Money that She Brings in to London is Second to none, Rem She pays Taxs as well. The Americans Are very Jealous, But Also admire that England has History and Have Royalty.

Glad you said ENGLISH Annis.........they don't do anything for Wales. They are tax dodging money laundering lympets.......time to get rid. :evil:

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:44 pm

The yanks love her, but surely this country is as much about out history and the landmarks in London, which is where most of the septics seem to make a beeline for. I think it's about time we did away with the royal family. Let the royal wedding be their last hurrah at our expense (our parting gift to them, if you like) and we can them take back all the countries assets that we pay for and let them fend for themsleves

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 pm

If it's a choice between the Queen, Prince William et al running the country and those wankers in Westminster... I know who I would prefer. Being Welsh though, we're in that awful situation where we don't get what we deserve from the English government but we're too small to sustain ourselves. It's a piss off.