Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Dog owners/lovers.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:32 pm

At this time of the year animal shelters and dogs homes are overrun with abandoned and unwanted dogs. A lot of these dogs have lovely temperaments and would make great pets to people who love dogs.

My question is..Why do people pay silly money for pedigree dogs? (sometimes up to £1000 or more) when most of these abandoned/unwanted dogs can be picked up for a fraction of that and would make lovely pets.

Is it like with cars..a status symbol (I know it is with young Chavs and their bull terriors) or is it that people just like a certain breed, or some other reason?

If I were thinking about getting myself a dog now the first place I would go would be the animal shelter, I love Boxer dogs but would rather help a homeless dog (no matter what it looked like) than pay big bucks for a pedigree one, not for money reasons, just because it's so sad seeing those unwanted pets. :(

Re: O/T Dog owners/lovers.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 pm

I would have more if I had the room but got 5 already :lol: :lol: :lol: , However I agree with what your saying

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:51 pm

I agree with you it makes me angry to see so many unwanted dogs. Ive got two rescue dogs both pedigrees, my friend has three rescue dogs and also fosters dogs for many tears rescue home. it makes me want to cry to see some of the dogs she fosters the lastest being a five year old lab used for breeding her only home being a shed with no windows :x

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:12 pm

My dog was an unwanted pet, took him on from a shelter 7 years ago, first thing i did was go rambling with him in snowdonia, been my best mate ever since :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:44 am

Got my little Jack Russell about 4 years ago now, the only reason we got him from a farm (from a working dog as a mum and dad, not a puppy farm, nice little farm in Mid Wales) was because he was for my sister and my Mam and Dad wanted to make sure he was a nice puppy and that the parents were well kept etc.
Went with my boyfriend to get his little dog (Also some sort of terrier cross, to me looks exactly like a Parsons Jack Russell, the subject of many a debate, because no one really knows haha!) from Cardiff Dogs Home earlier this year. I fell in love with pretty much every dog in there (I'm so awful, didn't want to leave any of them there) but this little one was all quiet and scared in the back of the kennel, stayed in his bed, wasn't eating etc (we think he was scared of all the big and loud dogs around him)...anyway we took him for a little walk down the road and he was a completely different dog, still as mad and jumpy now. He's a lovely little thing and I'm glad my boyfriend was able to rescue him....if I wasn't still living with my parents I think I'd have rescued them all haha!
I think if was to get a dog now though (after seeing both experiences), I'd probably get a rescue dog if I could, as much as its sometimes harder work because they come with a bit more baggage....they're so worth it though!

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:47 am

tangledupinblue wrote:My dog was an unwanted pet, took him on from a shelter 7 years ago, first thing i did was go rambling with him in snowdonia, been my best mate ever since :ayatollah:

i lost my virginity in the far corner of your avatar :D :oops:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:29 am

milly44 wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:My dog was an unwanted pet, took him on from a shelter 7 years ago, first thing i did was go rambling with him in snowdonia, been my best mate ever since :ayatollah:

i lost my virginity in the far corner of your avatar :D :oops:

:lol: was that the barmaid from the red lion? :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:44 am

My Dogs are my Best Friends :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I still help My Late Mothers Greyhound Charity

These Dogs are Used and Abused
http://greyhoundwelfare.org.uk/about-us/ :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: