Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Genuine query?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi All

I know this is probably going to get shot down in flames but this is a genuine query - I had a discussion with Carl and Annis yesterday about democracy and one question I have is if this board is democratic why are people banned?

Tracey

Re: Genuine query?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 pm

TCM wrote:Hi All

I know this is probably going to get shot down in flames but this is a genuine query - I had a discussion with Carl and Annis yesterday about democracy and one question I have is if this board is democratic why are people banned?

Tracey

usually because of abuse/personal threats

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Tracey

Good question. It initially looked as if this board was very open but lately thats changed a wee bit. dont take this as a criticism as it isnt. There are certain people on this board who have said some very nasty things and get away with it whilst others get banned a lot easier. Overall the moderators do a very difficult job excellently

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:50 pm

A democracy like our country where we have to listen to the vitriol and war mongering from certain ethnic groups who are protected by democracy, people who should be deported, banned or at least jailed are protected by their democratic rights.Democracy, give me common sense any day of the week.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:50 pm

joninian1927 wrote:

Tracey

Good question. It initially looked as if this board was very open but lately thats changed a wee bit. dont take this as a criticism as it isnt. There are certain people on this board who have said some very nasty things and get away with it whilst others get banned a lot easier. Overall the moderators do a very difficult job excellently

Unfortunately you are always going to get that where someone gets banned for something a little less than what him or her said earlier like.

I dont understadn what this has got to do with democracy though.There are rules to be obeyed and if you break then you are out. You break the rules you are out, no need for a vote on it.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:52 pm

thats not fare, and you know it aint

ok there were some remarks made in jest because we had an audiance, and we all had a laugh or pop at something or other. but the main jist of the debate under the ninian gates was, if the trust would back the supporters charged with this affray on the train, i and jam asked you one simple question, and yes there is a fine line as you said between backing them and supporting them.
but this country's law states "innocent until proven guilty"
we were not asking the trust to come out and say the woman was wrong and them fans were innocent, but what the trust should be doing is saying on behalf of the fans and the image of cardiff city is, until these fans are proven guilty and charges it is all here say. nothing more nothing less
as for the allergation of people being banned i cant comment im not an administrator

NOT SHOT DOWN STILL LEFT OPEN FOR DEBATE

What football message board do you know of that doesn’t ban people?

Personally I think this forum has some excellent debates, plus most contributors are welcoming people who are happy to meet you before games. I have far more respect for those types of people than posters who hide behind a keyboard and slate others.

BigGwynram wrote:A democracy like our country where we have to listen to the vitriol and war mongering from certain ethnic groups who are protected by democracy, people who should be deported, banned or at least jailed are protected by their democratic rights.Democracy, give me common sense any day of the week.

Best post I've read in ages. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:53 pm

BigGwynram wrote:A democracy like our country where we have to listen to the vitriol and war mongering from certain ethnic groups who are protected by democracy, people who should be deported, banned or at least jailed are protected by their democratic rights.Democracy, give me common sense any day of the week.

Who decides what common sense is if there is no democracy Gwyn ? :lol:

Yours may be different to every one elses.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:54 pm

bakedalasker, there have been instances where people have made outrageous comments and get away with it. Without naming any names, when Steve Borley had his drunken rant somebody called him a thief and said he was as bad as the riddler. for me that was inexcusable but this certain person always gets away with it. Other than a few isolated incidents, this board is well run and well marshalled.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:54 pm

We need a few political posts on here and the likes of Croesy and Dr Tim muff to liven up the "ban" debate...

See how many last then :lol:

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:56 pm

joninian1927 wrote:bakedalasker, there have been instances where people have made outrageous comments and get away with it. Without naming any names, when Steve Borley had his drunken rant somebody called him a thief and said he was as bad as the riddler. for me that was inexcusable but this certain person always gets away with it. Other than a few isolated incidents, this board is well run and well marshalled.

As I said Jon these things happen and and do excape the safety net. However there is a report button to try and reduce these incidents.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Tracey

Firstly this messageboard or any other for that matter could only be considered a democracy if the leaders were elected by the members so it's not a democracy.

It is democratic well there are 3 other basic elements of a democracy or democratic organisation.

It must allow for the active participation for it members, clearly it does.

It must ensure the human rights of its members are protected, it clearly does.

It must have rule of law and these rules must be applied equally to all members, I belive it does.

So whilst the messageboard is not a Democracy it is run in a democratic manner. Although it may be possible that some members who have fallen foul of it's rules, aka the moderators, may disagree.

But that's the core issue isn't it can you have complete freedom on speech, or written word, the answer is no not even in a democracy. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:04 pm

I don't understand why people I know have been banned for simply giving viewpoints that differ to others? This isn't active participation?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm

TCM wrote:I don't understand why people I know have been banned for simply giving viewpoints that differ to others? This isn't active participation?

Active participation is subject to complying with the other 2 requirements, I don't know what was said but obviously the moderators opinion was that it was unacceptable. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm

["Lawnmower"]["BigGwynram"]A democracy like our country where we have to listen to the vitriol and war mongering from certain ethnic groups who are protected by democracy, people who should be deported, banned or at least jailed are protected by their democratic rights.Democracy, give me common sense any day of the week.

Yours may be different to every one elses.[/quote]

democracy in this country my arse
there have been cardiff fans questioned about the incident in portsmouth who have up to this point been interviewed but not charged with any offence.
Those people are currently banned from attending matches despite in the eyes of our democratic law innocent until proven guilty.
There will people out there tonight and over the festive period who will get arrested and charged with driving under the influence,
These people will be realeased when sober and bailed to appear in court perhaps in a months time.
these people will be allowed to resume driving their car until a court appearance.
anyone see anything democratic or fair about that

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:09 pm

castleblue wrote:
TCM wrote:I don't understand why people I know have been banned for simply giving viewpoints that differ to others? This isn't active participation?

Active participation is subject to complying with the other 2 requirements, I don't know what was said but obviously the moderators opinion was that it was unacceptable. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

hmmmm...having another viewpoint?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:13 pm

steve davies wrote:["Lawnmower"]["BigGwynram"]A democracy like our country where we have to listen to the vitriol and war mongering from certain ethnic groups who are protected by democracy, people who should be deported, banned or at least jailed are protected by their democratic rights.Democracy, give me common sense any day of the week.

Yours may be different to every one elses.

there have been cardiff fans questioned about the incident in portsmouth who have up to this point been interviewed but not charged with any offence.
Those people are currently banned from attending matches despite in the eyes of our democratic law innocent until proven guilty.
There will people out there tonight and over the festive period who will get arrested and charged with driving under the influence,
These people will be realeased when sober and bailed to appear in court perhaps in a months time.
these people will be allowed to resume driving their car until a court appearance.
anyone see anything democratic or fair about that[/quote]

I doubt you will find anyone on here who doesn't think that is wrong Steve.

Have the club banned them or the police ?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Ther are ways of putting a viewpoint over that are acceptable. This individual you seem to be concerned about obviously could not put his viewpoint over in an acceptable away that this forum would like.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:15 pm

["TCM"]["castleblue"][TCM"]I don't understand why people I know have been banned for simply giving viewpoints that differ to others? This isn't active participation?

Active participation is subject to complying with the other 2 requirements, I don't know what was said but obviously the moderators opinion was that it was unacceptable. :ayatollah: :ayatollah

hmmmm...having another viewpoint?[/quote]

personally i never think the bans should never be permanent and only temporarily for a week at the most.
Every body is entitiled to their opinions but should respect others also and refrain from using the board for any personal comments or abuse.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:16 pm

[Lawnmower"]["steve davies"]["Lawnmower"]["BigGwynram"]A democracy like our country where we have to listen to the vitriol and war mongering from certain ethnic groups who are protected by democracy, people who should be deported, banned or at least jailed are protected by their democratic rights.Democracy, give me common sense any day of the week.

Yours may be different to every one elses

anyone see anything democratic or fair about that

Have the club banned them or the police ?[/quote]

the police tim

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:17 pm

TCM wrote:
castleblue wrote:

hmmmm...having another viewpoint?

Having a different viewpoint is not a problem it's how you express the difference. As I say I don't know the reasons but what I do know is that this is far and away the best messageboard for all matters relating to Cardiff City FC. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Have the club banned them or the police ?[/quote]

the police tim[/quote]

Perhaps there should be a bit more fuss made about this then.
As you say its assumed guilty until proven innocent and that is wrong.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Lawnmower wrote:I doubt you will find anyone on here who doesn't think that is wrong Steve.

the police tim[/quote]

As you say its assumed guilty until proven innocent and that is wrong.[/quote]

perhaps the trust could take this up on behalf of it's members

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:24 pm

jamccfc wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:I doubt you will find anyone on here who doesn't think that is wrong Steve.

the police tim

As you say its assumed guilty until proven innocent and that is wrong.[/quote]

perhaps the trust could take this up on behalf of it's members[/quote]

Why should it be the Trust's responsibility Jam ?

We have various supporters clubs, TWO well used messageboards with thousands of members, some of which are very close to what has happened. Can't we do something on here ?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 pm

the trust and the supporters club are official organisations so therefore have more clout than us. if they proclaim to be for the fans then they should take up this cause on our behalf.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:29 pm

You said on the other debate that the trust was ineffective. Make your mind up mate!

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:32 pm

The Ratcatcher wrote:You said on the other debate that the trust was ineffective. Make your mind up mate!

if this is what they were formed for then this is what they should be doing.
and yes i think they are in-effectual, maybe if both ccst and ccsc joined forces on this it might make an impact.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:37 pm

jamccfc wrote:the trust and the supporters club are official organisations so therefore have more clout than us. if they proclaim to be for the fans then they should take up this cause on our behalf.

Yes but they are people who have jobs and give up their time to do things. It also doesnt move that quickly as they will have to meet up and discuss and agree a statement or whatever, thats just the nature of it. Enough damamge has been done previously by people making their own personal statements and then people taking them as the Trust's official line. As a member I will ask the question. If you also think its worhtwhile then you can see there are Trust officials on here, maybe you could also ask if they will support it.

Also has anyone approached the supporters club or any of the other travel groups, as the thing these lads need most is witnesses from the game at Pompey - I know Corky for one has made an appeal n the boards, and I personally asked Barry Mac to put an appeal in the program yesterday - did anyone see it ??

As for this board (or Mike's for the sake of it)...
It would be nothing to organise a petition on here for a start. Far easier than the Trust and could get to more people quicker.

This isn't aimed at you personally, (I dont know you for a start) but its easy to criticise others from afar, but far more difficult to achieve yourself. Plenty seem quick to slag the Trust off, but not so quick to put their hands up themselves to do anything.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Why dont you join up with them and tell them what they should be doing as a member or help out or get involved and do it yourself? Or do you just wanna bitch at them all the time coz I gotta be honest thats what it looks like from here mate. I aint a member of them and dont know what they do exactly to be honest but I wouldnt have a crack at them all the time like you been doing. Them and ccsc are all voluntary fans arent they. If you can do better then have a go mate.