Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Changing times......

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:16 pm

The evolution at Cardiff City mirrors the change in football in general.

When i first started attending matches it was as a young 14 year old where i would travel to London to follow Arsenal virtually ever other saturday paying £14.50 to sit in the East lower. Rarely a sell out and a very working class amosphere.

Late 80's i got in with a group of mates who were regular City fans and involved in the 'scene'. Luhta jackets, C17 jeans and jolly boys away days - i was addcited!!! First met Annis, deh deh and the boys and had some great days. Cheap tckets to grotty grounds in the back of a transit. The crowds at NP were smaller and those there were mostly lads with a hostile atmosphere g'teed.

Had a sabatical from watching games when i ran a local football side but would still attend the few games and the tribal side of NP was still alive.

My first experience in the tidal change of modern football came when i visited the emirates for the first time, a new type of fan welcomed by the club, willing to spend the coin and wanting to be 'entertained'. Remember first time at the emirates saying to my wife that this isnt football as i love,multi millionaire players, placid crowds. Remember a certain pride that Cardiff was still a hotbed of atmosphere.

Suddenly the rebirth of Cardiff. New ground, success and bigger crowds. Players on big money contracts and fans who want to be entertained - the Emirates effect!!!

So is this wrong? Are the 'plastics' as called to blame or are we a dinosaur fan harping after the old days??

To move forward we have to accept a mix of both, new fans to football convertd by Sky who are still Cityfans mixed with the old hardened die hards who grew up on a betta pie on the bob bank on a rainy Tuesday night against Rochdale.

One thing WE all need is pride in our side. We all need pride being Cardiff. I sense that is going regardless of singing and atmosphere. We are becoming spoilt and expecting more and more.

How to cure? This forum is certainly a way forward. The singing blocks for forums members is a great idea as would bringing the canton singers in with the Ninian stand singers together. Moving the family stand is a no goer as we must all admit would bring back the voilent days we've moved away from.

I think make the Ninian stand the new Bob Bank, where the atmosphere will come from. The Ayatollah also needs to come back, the long oooooohhhhh before t was always an impressive sight.

Thank you for allowing me this indulgence.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Changing times......

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 pm

How easy do you think it would be to organise all the Canton singers into the Ninian to recreate the Bob Bank?

Also do you think it would be a good idea for a big sign between the away corner the family enclosure stating in large letters 'FAMILY STAND'. Perhaps this would embarass some of the recent idiots in the away end

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 pm

gr8 post m8, I for One will certainly swap over to the Ninian as proposed if we can get forum posters in the same vicinity I think if we could 300 people together at least we can have a sing song rathe r than the dreary silence which meets the away fans now !!!

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:58 pm

great post but i think the quieter city fans in the ninian will not be happy if our louder fans from the canton take over

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:gr8 post m8, I for One will certainly swap over to the Ninian as proposed if we can get forum posters in the same vicinity I think if we could 300 people together at least we can have a sing song rathe r than the dreary silence which meets the away fans now !!!

agreed :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm

How about reps from this forum such as Annis, Carl and Gwynne sit down with the club? I think if we accept moving the families is a no go will show our intentions are good and perhaps half the Ninian stand available for singers??

I accept some fans may be disgruntled but a strong home support can only benefit the team.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Changing times you asked are we being spoilt

NO the game is - we are at athe highest the clubs been and we are playing crappy footie! Surely consistency is the key

High over paid payers - spoilt brats - tantrums by manager n players in the changing room

a lot of them need to get back to basics n play hard football!

:ayatollah:

TOTALLY agree in regards to a sign for the Family Stand - if it is not moving THEY need to be protected more because after seeing saturdays effort from Forest I am glad i am not over there with children .....IT IS STUPID mark my words someone is going to get injured away fans don't give a toss who they have a go with and what starts of as gobby banter soon turns with missiles etc!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:01 pm

bump