Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Kicked off

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:12 pm

harold pinta wrote:
MAESTEG BLUE wrote:
harold pinta wrote:I grew up in the valleys, spent my first 25 years there, never had a problem. I know there will be problems with drunks later in the night, but you get that every weekend anyway, there's just people out drinking after rugby international.

true they are drunk but the facts are they are rugby fans who have kicked off
the assault and arrest rate on international day throughout south wales is far higher than a normal saturday
there was a report on it in the western mail a few years ago and it proved what we all knew

Yeah, I remember reading that, don't doubt that it's true, but I seem to remember that it related more to domestic violent attacks than trouble in the pubs and streets.
The original point I was trying to make is that, clearly both football and rugby have problems, just happens that I've never had or seen any problem at or around a rubgy match but plenty at football. But, as I said it's happily improved significantly.

there is not a gang problem at the egg (although rugby league had problems) but got to be honest i dont feel happy taking my misses out on an international day due to the trouble around te pubs

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:15 pm

looks like a car job then .

roughly how long is it to cardiff by train anyway if i go that route ? 30 minutes ?

so maesteg is 1 of those 50/50 places with cardiff and swansea fans then ?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:looks like a car job then .

roughly how long is it to cardiff by train anyway if i go that route ? 30 minutes ?

so maesteg is 1 of those 50/50 places with cardiff and swansea fans then ?

its about 50 min and the train run every hour ive pm you a taxi number if you need it

in the 70's it was mainly ccfc but when they went to div1 i'd say the jacks out numbered the match going city
i was the only bluebird in my year in school 81/82 season
early 90's a lot of the older lads started going again and we've out numbered them ever sincethe majority of lads under 32 are cardiff
we take at least 2 busses to every home game and we've got the train boys :ayatollah:
MAESTEG IS BLUE

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 pm

cheers maesteg blue

much appreciated

i couldn't imagine living in a town where a town supports both sides . in the capital brizzle shitty and some say newport county are classed as our main rivals to an older audience .

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:41 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:cheers maesteg blue

much appreciated

i couldn't imagine living in a town where a town supports both sides . in the capital brizzle shitty and some say newport county are classed as our main rivals to an older audience .

i have hated brizzle since i had to do to 100 metre sprint under 10 seconds on my own at ashton gate when i was 15 in 85
and i remenber a couple of wild ones with kewenty in the 80's that welsh cup final 87 at ninian spings to mind
it always winds the jacks up when i say newport gave us more probs in the late 80's which was true :old:
but the jacks are public enemy number 1 for me...its personal :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 pm

maesteg blue i have always said this rivalry thing with swansea is a geographical thing . City fans living on the edge of jackland and the ones living in jackland will take the brunt . we don't see it in the capital

brizzle city in the 70/80's was full on hatred. older people will remember younger ones think otherwise . the swansea 1991 episode was close

years later i wish us , swansea and newport could get on in any shape , form or capacity but i don't think it will ever will

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:04 am

MOZZER1 wrote:maesteg blue i have always said this rivalry thing with swansea is a geographical thing . City fans living on the edge of jackland and the ones living in jackland will take the brunt . we don't see it in the capital

brizzle city in the 70/80's was full on hatred. older people will remember younger ones think otherwise . the swansea 1991 episode was close

years later i wish us , swansea and newport could get on in any shape , form or capacity but i don't think it will ever will

swansea 91 now that was a day didn't make it to the ground
got a lot of jack mates but we tend to avoid each other on match day but have a beer with every other weekend
having said that 20 of us went on a stag do to portugal a few years ago and it kicked off between us over the footie it seems old habits die hard :lol:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:03 am

Ras Malai wrote:Forest Fans in the hospitality getting a bit gobby

M sorted it.....

Was actually Cardiff fans in the hospitality, one said "what a load of rubbish", which in fairness it was. Then another Cardiff fan climbs into hospitality and prances around a bit, threatening to "drop" a guy who was there with his 7 year old kid - took security about 5 mins to get involved. People not actually allowed to express opinions anymore without being frightened that supporters of their own team will come and try and batter them?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:26 am

harold pinta wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
bluebirdrob wrote:This is the big difference in 2 sports at rugby you would sit with away fans have plenty of banter then go to the pub for a good drink.In football you all think its fair to abuse(banter) then punch someone who is not of your team.Until this attitude is gone we will always have bad press in wales media.

The difference being, the thugby fans kick off later on in the bar when everyone is bladdered. Because it's a few hours after the game and away from the ground, it's not considered as rugby related violence. Believe me it happens, ask Heath A+E after any Wales egg game. :( :(

I don't particularly like rugby but I've been to many club and international games with friends that do, and I can put my hand on my heart and say I've never, ever seen any violence either at or after a match that I've been to. I've never felt in anyway intimidated before, at, or after a game. I can't honestly say this for football, I've been in many hairy situations following City and Wales over the years, which is a great shame, as I love football. Thankfully things are much better nowadays of course.

I'm sorry but you are absolutely wrong on this. It kicks off regularly after a rugby international but is put down to high spirits :roll:

The Albany in Roath was shut down at 7.10 pm by police after the Australia game due to a load of eggers who had been to the game coming to the pub and then starting a mass brawl. That resulted in bar staff cowering behind the bar and 7 riot vans parked up Donald Street and the road being shut. 6 people were arrested and 4 people had to go to hospital, one local sustained a serious injury to his hand from falling on broken glass.

As a result of this incident the landlord now has to employ bouncers for every rugby international.

At the next game (South Africa I think) the same group were removed from the Varsity on Richmond Road after starting another fracas, this time bouncers already knew the faces and were able to remove them as soon as trouble started.

Similarly, after last years game against the All Blacks, there was a running fight between a group of Welsh rugby fans and a group of approx 40 All Blacks fans in St Mary Street who had earlier been ejected from the stadium for being drunk.

Yet again this was not reported :roll:

The simple fact is there is much more violence connected to, if not organised by, rugby fans but because of the biased Welsh press it does not get reported. Whereas if a woman decides to make an unsubstantiated claim against City fans on a train she gets national press coverage that lasts over a month :twisted:

I'm not condoning any sort of violence, mereley pointing out that anyone who thinks that there is no violence at international rugby games is sadly mistaken and simply reading what the Welsh press feeds them :cry: I'll get off my soapbox now :lol:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:40 am

cymruambyth wrote:

M sorted it.....

Was actually Cardiff fans in the hospitality, one said "what a load of rubbish", which in fairness it was. Then another Cardiff fan climbs into hospitality and prances around a bit, threatening to "drop" a guy who was there with his 7 year old kid - took security about 5 mins to get involved. People not actually allowed to express opinions anymore without being frightened that supporters of their own team will come and try and batter them?

Errr - not quite right.

Yes we were shit and people are entitled to express thier opinion - but it was the amount of abuse coming from that area, all vitriolic and anti-Cardiff that some took offence to. Even rumours of an "Up the County" (I didn't hear that one though so may be bollox). Didn't notice any children in there at all, although my focus was on the big fucker who was stirring it up originally and then hid behing stewards shouting "arrest him, arrest him" :roll: :wankersmiley:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 am

Piledriver. I'm not saying there isn't any problems around rugby matches, just that, in my experience I have never, ever, not once seen anything like you have described, and have never felt in any way intimidated at or around a rugby match. Maybe I've just been lucky. I don't personally know anyone who has either.The only time I've ever heard of this sort of thing is on City Message boards.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:48 am

harold pinta wrote:Piledriver. I'm not saying there isn't any problems around rugby matches, just that, in my experience I have never, ever, not once seen anything like you have described, and have never felt in any way intimidated at or around a rugby match. Maybe I've just been lucky. I don't personally know anyone who has either.The only time I've ever heard of this sort of thing is on City Message boards.

Well I was in the Albany and can assure you it wasn't pleasant with many women having to run behind the bar and into the lounge to escape the indiscriminate punches.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:17 am

LlwyncelynBlue wrote:
cymruambyth wrote:

M sorted it.....

Errr - not quite right.

Yes we were shit and people are entitled to express thier opinion - but it was the amount of abuse coming from that area, all vitriolic and anti-Cardiff that some took offence to. Even rumours of an "Up the County" (I didn't hear that one though so may be bollox). Didn't notice any children in there at all, although my focus was on the big fucker who was stirring it up originally and then hid behing stewards shouting "arrest him, arrest him" :roll: :wankersmiley:

LlwyncelynBlue is right....they were Forest Fans giving it the big one and even started goading City fans when a few heads started to turn in their direction.....

same happened in the same section against Forest last season but the situation didnt escalate as when they were told to shut up a steward came and moved them

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:27 am

LlwyncelynBlue is right....they were Forest Fans giving it the big one and even started goading City fans when a few heads started to turn in their direction.....

same happened in the same section against Forest last season but the situation didnt escalate as when they were told to shut up a steward came and moved them[/quote]

My guess is that they were forest fans, someone said that they worked for the firm who had the box and that firm were sponsors for forest last season.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 am

frazier wrote:LlwyncelynBlue is right....they were Forest Fans giving it the big one and even started goading City fans when a few heads started to turn in their direction.....

same happened in the same section against Forest last season but the situation didnt escalate as when they were told to shut up a steward came and moved them

My guess is that they were forest fans, someone said that they worked for the firm who had the box and that firm were sponsors for forest last season.[/quote]

makes sense....

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:32 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:maesteg blue i have always said this rivalry thing with swansea is a geographical thing . City fans living on the edge of jackland and the ones living in jackland will take the brunt . we don't see it in the capital

Mozz , if you catch the train and get off in maesteg its not that bad of a walk 45mins, or a taxi, taxi can't seeing it be anything over £7-8 :ayatollah: Im Orginally from the steg, all my family still live there, just6 3 of us here in cardiff :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:01 pm

I was a rugby and sports tour operator for 40 yrs and can assure you all there has been trouble with rugby supporters.It ranges from fights, threatening behaviour, criminal damge and damage to hotels. It is caused by a tiny minority of fans but it does go on.
I once had to send a guy home once from Tokyo because he had been pinching the silver cutlery from hotels in Tokyo and previously in Hong Kong, took him to airport and the captain refused to take him as he was too pissed. Took him back to hotel and made sure there was no booze in his room and then put security outside his bedroom door until he sobered up enough to fly.
All in a days work :lol:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Ben wrote:

Mozz , if you catch the train and get off in maesteg its not that bad of a walk 45mins, or a taxi, taxi can't seeing it be anything over £7-8 :ayatollah: Im Orginally from the steg, all my family still live there, just6 3 of us here in cardiff :ayatollah:

ben where in gods country are you from..im one of the llan freedom fighters