Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PLASTIC FANS AT CARDIFF

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 pm

Why do people continuously keep broaching this subject?

Does it matter if some fans attend just the big games ? Afterall we used to have crowds as low as 1,800 so we must have all picked our games in the past.

I know I did.

I compare it to someone who may visit the cinema perhaps three times a year to watch a big blockbuster (TRON ) rather than somone who buys a monthly pass and will watch any film on offer.

Re: PLASTIC FANS AT CARDIFF

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Joff wrote:Why do people continuously keep broaching this subject?

Does it matter if some fans attend just the big games ? Afterall we used to have crowds as low as 1,800 so we must have all picked our games in the past.

I know I did.

Not quite ALL of us , Joff....I used to have the keys to lock up on the way out!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think (and I may be wrong here) the main issue is not so much with the 'new age' supporters but with the club itself. Their poor handling of the stadium 'transfer' meant that people who sat together and by default knew each other well, were suddenly split up and MADE (they never gave me a choice of seats!!) to sit where they may not have wanted. The moving of the Grange End to the Canton Stand (you know what I mean :) ) certainly didn't help either.

Result?? Poorer atmosphere until people start to interact and get used to each other....and that's not always easy.

Supporters who had followed the City though thin and thin have, to some extent, been made to feel unappreciated and of secondary importance because the club (or was it Peter Ridsdale alone) showed them complete disrespect when it came to moving to the new stadium. I'm afraid they ( or was it he??) saw the ££££ signs and ignored the value of the core support.

It'll take some time to recover from 'the move' and as a consequence the atmosphere will suffer a little too (as shown in the Swansea game). A big big shame....

:ayatollah: :x :ayatollah: :x :ayatollah: :x :x :ayatollah: :x

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Atmosphere is great in the Canton stand - people stand up and sing
Atmosphere in Grandstand,Ninian stand, Family Stand, Grandstand rubbish - people sit down and dont sing.
We have bigger crowds at the CCS now but more people stood up at Ninian Park creating a better atmosphere.
Thats the reason nothing else. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:44 pm

joff and sven ghali,2 good posts,intresting,i agree with both,i am guilty of picking games from 1998 on until i took the plunge and got my season ticket 6 years ago,but i can understand that the supporters from the dark days{and we have decades of theese}feel undervalued,but i do get a bit sick of constantly being reminded by people of being their at doncaster away with just 36 fans at the game,extremely admirable but times have moved on,(but i still hate CCS)sorry :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 pm

A fan is a fan in my eyes. We all have differing years of support experience behind us but I won't ridicule someone for being a johnny come lately. I respect those who did the horrible trips and still do put the miles in. It's a f*cking trek and credit for it. As for the plastics who turn up though, if they get involved and make some noise or add money to the funds then fair enough.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Zabier wrote:A fan is a fan in my eyes. We all have differing years of support experience behind us but I won't ridicule someone for being a johnny come lately. I respect those who did the horrible trips and still do put the miles in. It's a f*cking trek and credit for it. As for the plastics who turn up though, if they get involved and make some noise or add money to the funds then fair enough.

I ridicule you for that last comment.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:09 pm

porthcawlcasual wrote:
Zabier wrote:A fan is a fan in my eyes. We all have differing years of support experience behind us but I won't ridicule someone for being a johnny come lately. I respect those who did the horrible trips and still do put the miles in. It's a f*cking trek and credit for it. As for the plastics who turn up though, if they get involved and make some noise or add money to the funds then fair enough.

I ridicule you for that last comment.

Times are tough mate. I'd rather have 4,000 extra plastics adding money to our dire kitty than 4,000 not turning up and leaving us shorter on cash. The more the merrier to be honest. As long as the loyal ones are still there, who cares?

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:00 pm

I suspect that most of the the people who moan about Plastics at the CCS are youngsters who themselves have not been following the City for long.Many of these plastics as people call them probably have feck all to do with premier clubs but don't go to every game at the CCS, they may have a job that doesn't allow them to get to all games or perhaps they have to travel 200/300 miles to get there.so get off there backs.And as mentioned in another post on this board there are 156,000 fans on the clubs data base so it seems that a lotof people either cherry pick or can't get to every game. :old:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:12 am

some fans, self included have to work on times and cant get to all the games we wud like, all fans want to see the big games, me i'm just happy to get to the stadium and watch the boys, dont really care who they are playing...... i know afew lads who for family reasons have to pick and choose which games they save for..... food on the table for the missus and kids or watch a game of football.....end of the day we are all city fans, we all want the club to do well and be successful..... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 am

Who cares that some fans are plastic, I dont give a toss really. I would rather have 26,000 in the ground than 14,000.
We should be promoting our club to all plastics. As long as it helps the revenues of our club - who cares. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 am

:oops:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 am

I don't even class them as plastics. I say they are Cardiff fans, that just don't attend as often as most and perhaps for no fault of their own.
To me, plastics, are the fans of other clubs, who have no affiliation with said clubs.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 am

MalagaCF wrote:Atmosphere is great in the Canton stand - people stand up and sing
Atmosphere in Grandstand,Ninian stand, Family Stand, Grandstand rubbish - people sit down and dont sing.
We have bigger crowds at the CCS now but more people stood up at Ninian Park creating a better atmosphere.

Didnt know we had 2 grandstands :lol:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:11 am

Times are tough and it can be an expensive day out.

Considering this we are doing really well, especially when you look at the rest of the leagues attendances. We should count ourselves lucky that we got the plastics that we've got and the hardore support. As mentioned previously its revenue the club depends on to survive, and they'll get into it. I was plastic once :oops: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 am

If they've "seen the light" and now attend occasionally as opposed to never in the past then that's got to be looked at in a positive light. They now consider watching a City game a good thing where as in the past they would just laugh at the idea and take the piss out of our club. I can tolerate an occasional City fan, but get hot under the collar with the Manc and Scouse plastics who never watch a live game, they are people I feel pity for.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:06 pm

MalagaCF wrote:Atmosphere is great in the Canton stand - people stand up and sing

Disagree on the 'standing up at Ninian Park = better atmosphere' comment. I spent the last 3 years of NP on the BBT and the atmosphere was dire, including some meaty games against Arsenal, Swansea, Wurzles etc. I gave up trying to get chants going on there after about the first 3 games. And as it was a terrace, it meant any groups of fans could stand together, so perhaps it was the lack of a roof was the biggest reason for the shite atmosphere :?:

As for the 'plastics' debate - I'm one of their biggest critics as I honestly can't fathom how the workplace 'scouse', 'Chelski' and 'manc' brigade can honestly take themselves seriously, when all they do is buy a shirt and a Sky subscription :?

The only positive of a plastic is that they are at least interested in the game of football. This should mean that once introduced to the live action down the City, they will hopefully return again and again. I've got a cousin and a few mates who've now fallen into this category lately, which is fantastic for the club.

These converted plastics, added to more families and more away fans are all contributing to our higher attendances and long may it continue.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:18 pm

krab wrote:joff and sven ghali,2 good posts,intresting,i agree with both,i am guilty of picking games from 1998 on until i took the plunge and got my season ticket 6 years ago,but i can understand that the supporters from the dark days{and we have decades of theese}feel undervalued,but i do get a bit sick of constantly being reminded by people of being their at doncaster away with just 36 fans at the game,extremely admirable but times have moved on,(but i still hate CCS)sorry :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I was at that match. Went to all City first team games that year. The police out numbered us!

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 pm

If we want to increase our fan base, they have to come from somewhere ex egg chasers, liverpool, Man utd fans etc.

We should be embracing them to join us, not looking down our noses with snooty a "I'm a bigger support than you" attitudes.

Today's plastics are tomorrow's die hards :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Having plastic fans is a good thing.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:38 pm

For me, a Cardiff fan is a Cardiff fan. Better they're their team than some top 4 crap. Just to have the fanbase is better than not having it you know? Not that I really go with the not being able to afford games. I couldn't exactly afford any of my season tickets in the last 4 seasons but I sold stuff/worked extra/raised the funds somehow to ensure I got one.

What really didn't sit right with me was before our Hull game when I was running late. Legging it down Queen Street at about 5 minutes to. And I must've seen atleast 10 people wearing city shirts just casually shopping with the missus or sitting on benches etc. Again, its good the club is getting the money from shirt sales but there's something I didn't like about that. I mean, If I couldn't get to a game and it was 5 minutes until matchtime I'd be sat at home glued to the Radio/watching a stream or something. It was almost like they were oblivious to the fact, the club they supported were even playing......

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Afternoon all

I'm a bit of a plastic Jonny Come lately sort of fan. Only had my season ticket for last 2 seasons. I have lived in London for last 24 years so hope you all forgive me.

Me and that M4 are best of mates. Gonna burn it up in the morning. See u all tomorrow.

Regards

(Plastic) Jonny (Come lately)

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Endless discussion about so-called plastic fans is totally futile.

Each of us decides as to whether to attend a game, taking into consideration our budget, work patterns, familial resposibilities, the enjoyment we derive from watching a game and the competition from other attractions, events and pastimes.

Trying to foist one's own values onto someone else is simply ludicrous.

And let's not imagine that two consecutive crowds of 24,000 are constituted of exactly the same individuals.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:32 pm

No ridicule from me of the 'new' supporters....and all welcome to CCS. My post referred to the shoddy way with which the club dealt with their existing support before the CCS was built. Basically, it was a case of 'pay up and shut up' when it came to seat selection and I think most would agree that it was reasonable that supporters from NP should be given first option on seats for the new CCS rather than being 'dumped' in a seat because the club couldn't be bothered or (worse) simply didn't care about those who had gone before....

I sincerely hope we have to 'lock out' before the end of this season, as it would show the huge progress made over recent times and, in turn, ensure that the second tier is built to finish off the stadium and allow more people in....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Ive seen some fans moan about the "plastics" and then in another thread moan about not selling out :roll: cant have it both ways.

Personally I welcome as many fans as we can get. Even if one or two of these plastics enjoy the big games enough to get a season ticket and get more involved then great :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:42 pm

I know I did.

I compare it to someone who may visit the cinema perhaps three times a year to watch a big blockbuster (TRON ) rather than somone who buys a monthly pass and will watch any film on offer.

Joff like youve gone off to Newcastle Xmas shopping tom as you dont see it as a Big Game ?