Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

'A SERIOUS QUESTION REGARDING DAVE JONES & QPR AWAY'

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm

' A SERIOUS QUESTION REGARDING DAVE JONES and QPR AWAY '

Its prob the Biggest game so far this Season, Some could say as Big as or even Bigger than the Jacks game the other week.

A lot of Big Name managers seem to out wit DJ in the past and its Also said by Myself and others that DJ bottles it/lets himself down/changes our usual game for the BIG ONES, Well This is the Big One, SO FAR IN MY OPINION.

Will DJ play Our normal game ?
Will DJ try and play to their strengths and not ours ?
Will DJ go for a Draw ?
Will DJ get wound up by this game ?
Will DJ play this game down ?

ANY OPINIONS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: ' A SERIOUS QUESTION REGARDING DAVE JONES and QPR AWAY '

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:50 pm

i think they there for the taking to be honest.

hope dave attacks them to be honest.

if we sit back like we did against jacks they will rip us to apart.

my opinion tho.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 pm

QPR have a very mean defence, but the goals have dried up for them lately.

I will be very surprised if we come away from the game without conceding.

Food for thought for DJ.

We have to score. We have to defend for our lives cos Warnock WILL come
at us. They will throw everything at us. Shots headers punches kicks, his teams
dont care as long as they get the result

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:12 pm

dave jones has a good record against warnock in the last couple of seasons (thats from memory, so i might be wrong!), also i don't think qpr have beaten any of the top teams, we need to go for it, we are set up to attack cos we have the best goal scorers in the league, if we play for a draw, and show fear and negetivity we will probably lose, i think we will win saturday and win next sat, setting us up for a good run of games in december :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:24 pm

I think the key to beating QPR is to simply keep the ball, keep the passes, simple but tidy, try and play football keep the ball on the ground, and from the OFF we have to try and thread some through balls through and get some feirce early shots on target. They need to be told early on that we are hear to win, we will play aggresive attacking football, phsycologically, this will make them think more defensively and they will then be reluctant to move forward too quickly because we do counter very well with Burke, Whitts, and Chopra.... When they have the ball - we MUST close them down very quickly and try to press them back. If we can do this, and Olly has a good defensive midfield game, I can see us coming away with 3 pts, we have a blinding away record so far this season too. Only thing is What will DJ do ? lets hope he keeps a similar attacking team to that of the team we played against Scunny. :)

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm

He will play it down as he does everything else

Underneath he is probably not so blase and he knows how important a win is against them mentally for him and the team!

He has to go out and play an attacking game throughout and not let them take their foot off the gas at any time thru the game (like we have seen to often)

He has to be prepared for the hardest game face QPR will want an all out win

He needs to keep the play player to player and low - we are loosing too many balls when its played in the air

He has to be playing to our strengths as well as taking their strenghts into account but also use their weakness's - he has a hard game to account

Let's hope we play good football the 1st (30 mins or so) half of the Scunthorpe game seemed to work well - play together and fast pace!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Go there and attack them from the off, We might concede against them but we can outscore them. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
This will be Bellamy's time to shine as apart from Leeds away he has been ordinary in my opinion.Time to show his class. :D

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

A draw away at QPR would be a good result. They have a brilliant defensive record and are unbeaten. They don't seem to be as good as us upfront and they seem to draw a lot of games. A few teams have sussed QPR out this season, not sure how they did it but the likes of Swansea and Bristol managed to contain them.

Its a tough ask going to Loftus Road, so I'm glad I'm not the manager. I'd take a draw now, if DJ gets a win he should be knighted. :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:' A SERIOUS QUESTION REGARDING DAVE JONES and QPR AWAY '

Its prob the Biggest game so far this Season, Some could say as Big as or even Bigger than the Jacks game the other week.

A lot of Big Name managers seem to out wit DJ in the past and its Also said by Myself and others that DJ bottles it/lets himself down/changes our usual game for the BIG ONES, Well This is the Big One, SO FAR IN MY OPINION.

Will DJ go for a Draw ?

Will DJ play our normal game - YES
wILL DJ try and play to their strengths - NO
Will DJ go for a Draw - NO BUT HE WOULD TAKE ONE NOW
Will DJ get wound up by this game - ABSOLUTELY NO
Will DJ play this game down - ABSOLUTELY YES

This is a huge game for both clubs as the winner will start to pull away from the other, the losing team on the other hand will likely start falling under increasing pressure from the 3rd place team.

For Warnock that will be a problem so he will go all out to win this game, for us it doesn't really matter as DJ has already told us we can lose both derby games against Swansea and if we get promoted everything will be ok.

The fact is if we had beaten the Jacks we would be 10 points clear of them so losing at QPR would not be to bad. However if all 3 teams win this weekend and we lose at QPR the jacks could be only one point behind. That will put pressure on us and we all know how DJ handles pressure.

Put in simple terms we absolutely must not lose at Loftus Road, a win would be absolutely fantastic but losing doesn't bear thinking about. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm

I always think that we should play our way, not change our formation/style/attacking flair.
It was so disapointing against Swansea when we did exactly that, teams should be worried about how to play against us.
We have the best attack in the Championship and at times they are unplayable. An away draw would be acceptable but playing for one wouldn't be. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Will DJ go for a Draw ?

Annis when you say he bottles it for the big ones? Let me evidence the following;

1. Did we bottle it against West Brom away last season? NO we won 0-2
2. Did we bottle it against Boro away last season>? NO we won 0-1
3. Did we bottle it against the jacks at home last season? NO we won 2-1 and scored when it hurts them the most
4. Did we bottle it getting to the play offs last season? NO we beat QPR 0-1 at their own ground to reach play offs
5. Did we bottle it against Leicester in the play off semi final? NO
6. Did we bottle it against Arsenal at home in the fa cup at Ninian Park- NO we had a hard earned 0-0 draw
7. Did we bottle it against Birmingham at home in the league a few seasons ag0- No we beat them 2-0 when they were top of the league.
8. Did we bottle it when we beat Norwich in the league 2-1 at Ninian Park when they were top of the league and went up as champions..NO
9. Did we bottle it against Sunderland at home a few seasons ago when they were top of the championship and we beat them 4-0//NO

10. Did we bottle it against Barnsley at Wembley in the fa cup semi final after they had beaten Chelsea..NO
11. Did we bottle it against Boro away in the quarter final of fa cup when they were a premier league team ..NO

The above were all difficult games on big occassions where Cardiff were successfull...we dont always bottle it on big games.

Cardiff had not beaten Bristol City in years at Ashton Gate but in another one of our local derbys we smashed them 0-6 on their own patch... DJ has had some great results since being at Cardiff and also some terrible ones..Lets give the bloke some credit.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:52 pm

ccfcdor wrote:

Will DJ go for a Draw ?

Annis when you say he bottles it for the big ones? Let me evidence the following;

1. Did we bottle it against West Brom away last season? NO we won 0-2
2. Did we bottle it against Boro away last season>? NO we won 0-1
3. Did we bottle it against the jacks at home last season? NO we won 2-1 and scored when it hurts them the most
4. Did we bottle it getting to the play offs last season? NO we beat QPR 0-1 at their own ground to reach play offs
5. Did we bottle it against Leicester in the play off semi final? NO
6. Did we bottle it against Arsenal at home in the fa cup at Ninian Park- NO we had a hard earned 0-0 draw
7. Did we bottle it against Birmingham at home in the league a few seasons ag0- No we beat them 2-0 when they were top of the league.
8. Did we bottle it when we beat Norwich in the league 2-1 at Ninian Park when they were top of the league and went up as champions..NO
9. Did we bottle it against Sunderland at home a few seasons ago when they were top of the championship and we beat them 4-0//NO

10. Did we bottle it against Barnsley at Wembley in the fa cup semi final after they had beaten Chelsea..NO
11. Did we bottle it against Boro away in the quarter final of fa cup when they were a premier league team ..NO

The above were all difficult games on big occassions where Cardiff were successfull...we dont always bottle it on big games.

Cardiff had not beaten Bristol City in years at Ashton Gate but in another one of our local derbys we smashed them 0-6 on their own patch... DJ has had some great results since being at Cardiff and also some terrible ones..Lets give the bloke some credit.

This wasnt pick on DJ thread it was a Genuine Opinions for QPR Away game,
But as Youve asked I will just name a few games out of many

Pompey Facup final
Blackpool play offs
Sheff Wed away to make the play offs.
Ipswich final ever league game at Ninian Park.
Most Jack games.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Anything other than a loss to QPR is fine - DJ knows that and doesn't care what the rest of us think - thats why he manages and we watch. 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Warnock always concentrates on defence so the smart money is on 0-0

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:37 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Anything other than a loss to QPR is fine - DJ knows that and doesn't care what the rest of us think - thats why he manages and we watch. 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

I agree, We are Only Fans, but its always Great Debates :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:Anything other than a loss to QPR is fine - DJ knows that and doesn't care what the rest of us think - thats why he manages and we watch. 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

I agree, We are Only Fans, but its always Great Debates :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

True.

I think how we play will actually depend on how the games go this weekend.

If, for example, we win and the Jacks lose, then we could try to play an attacking game at QPR as it gives us a decent amount of breathing space if things go wrong and QPR win. If the Jacks remain at 4 points away or closer then I can see him being more cautious so as not to let them get too close to us.

Lets hopw we have a full squad to choose from and that Jay doesn't get injured at Wembley again!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

True.

I think how we play will actually depend on how the games go this weekend.

If, for example, we win and the Jacks lose, then we could try to play an attacking game at QPR as it gives us a decent amount of breathing space if things go wrong and QPR win. If the Jacks remain at 4 points away or closer then I can see him being more cautious so as not to let them get too close to us.

I know it has crossed my mind Jay getting injured :cry:

Lets hopw we have a full squad to choose from and that Jay doesn't get injured at Wembley again!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Will DJ go for a Draw ?

The last couple of important games that we have lost were because Jay was not playing, Final & Jacks.
Provided he is available I think DJ will play our usual game with Jay, Chops, Burke, Bellers and Whits and Ollie. If they are all fit we will give them one hall of a game and I expect to win !!!
He will play to our strengths.
Will not play for a draw.
Will keep calm and not get wound up, I bet Warnock wanker tries some mind games though.
He will play the game down to the press, but not to the team.

We will win, can't wait to set off :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:04 pm

dont you think we should be thinking about forest they are our next opponents.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

hirwaunbluebird wrote:dont you think we should be thinking about forest they are our next opponents.

Thats for DJ to think, I am just debating QPR as a Fan :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 pm

agree,but cant we debate forest first and not get ahead of ourselves.we could pick up injuries and suspensions before qpr and that could influence team selection and tactics.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

hirwaunbluebird wrote:agree,but cant we debate forest first and not get ahead of ourselves.we could pick up injuries and suspensions before qpr and that could influence team selection and tactics.

True, good comments, well I believe Forest will be no push overs and it will an open game, 3-2 City :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 pm

totally agree annis,i think confidence is back take us to win 3-1.if jones gets his tactics right. ;)

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 am

I think the players will be up for this and I also think (injuries allowing) that we will set up to attack them.

Our style is more suited to playing away from home as the 'pressure' is on them to attack us. If they do, and the defense plays well, we should then be able to exploit the holes left behind.

I don't think it'll be as open as say the Reading game but I certainly fancy our chances

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 am

We need to throw everything we have at them,Attack and put it to bed before they know whats hit them.we will be the first to beat them this season and it will be in there own back yard i think Dave Jones will go for it.i hope anyway...... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:27 am

in my opinion this game will be won or lost in midfield, nothing to do with strikers or defenders, we have to keep the ball and play it about stop QPR playing if we manage this the game is there for the taking, we dont need to see bad passes, sloppy passes, passes behind player, we will need good first touch football this will be our success, and that im afraid is up to the players on the day.

come on cityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 am

Whatever everybody says im sure DJ will play tactics to NOT LOSE

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 am

Have I missed something or are we not playing Forest on saturday?

That is as important a game as QPR, as was Scunthorpe last weekend.

On the quertion generally though I have given up on Dave Jones' tactics now. He used ot ahve Plan A alone, now he seems to have the whole alphabet - some he gets right, some he gets wrong.

My concern is having to score 3 or 4 each game to wipe out the 1 or 2 we always concede.

So on that basis, adopt the whole Keegan attitude, play to your strengths and just pray that the defence is on form.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Pressures on them in my opinion I think this will be our advantage, I'm sure DJ will be looking for a fast and furious attack to nullify them.

And if he gets its wrong I'm sure he'll give a really positive interview afterwards and will only blame himself! :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Will DJ go for a Draw ?

1) Providing we have Jay, Chopra and Bellamy we have to play our normal game, The problem with DJ is that he hardly changes from it but this is one situation where it would benefit to play our normal game.

2) Same as number 1, The front line we have teams have to change the way they play to earn points against us.

3) The players and manager go into every game looking for a win, This has been echoed by numerous staff and players since the start of the season and fully expect them to go up to London and get the 3 points or at least put up a 100% effort.

4) Not sure what you mean

5) Do not care if he does, If he plays down Swansea it annoys me as it means a lot to the fans but QPR does not have the same edge. If he builds it up the players may get nervous or get an extra buzz to perform. Or if he plays it down, They might get relaxed and confident and think of it as playing someone lower down the table or they might get a bit lazy and unfocused. Both have their pros and cons

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Will DJ go for a Draw ?

Last season people were saying he wouldnt change formation and stuck to the same formation. People had a right go at him after our swansea defeats for playing 4-4-2 and now this season he has tried to change things around a bit he also gets slated for that. Ive always felt that our performances against the top of the league clubs has been pretty good and we rarely go to QPR and not give it a good go (even when two players sent off)

IMO

Will DJ play Our normal game ? yes
Will DJ try and play to their strengths and not ours ? a bit of both but mostly to our yes
Will DJ go for a Draw ? no
Will DJ get wound up by this game ? no
Will DJ play this game down ? partly yes but he will do that win lose or draw which IMO is the right way