Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Match report Scunthorpe v Cardiff City 13 Nov 2010

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Glanford Park is the home ground of Scunthorpe. Its the smallest ground in the division with some parts of the ground terrace standing.The way football is going today with these new soulless stadiums it was with excitment I made the short trip for me to an old fashion ground I just love. I say these grounds make the football experience enjoyable as they have character and I for one hope the likes of Scunthorpe maintain their status in this division while we are in it.

The trip took me just over an hour and for once I was feeling the tiredness of all the travelling as I was still recovering from the Reading expedition. So it was no surprise to me to see more tired faces when I joined up with the other travellers from my home city of the past who had all been on the road for six hours and looked absolutely shattered. Most of them had also been to the Reading game and it was agreed amongst us all that we needed something pretty quick from the players to encourage us to get behind them. We certainly got it.

Over 800 Cardiff stood in the away section behind one of the goals. Some groups started to sing songs referring to Jay Bothroyd and England. i thought the chorus "Bothroyd for England" would ring out and some tried to get this going but then a line came out that everyone took to. It was "Bothroyd is too good for Engerland" and that became the anthem of the day and brought a smile to my face.

The stadium was nearly full to capacity as the teams made their way onto the pitch. I wondered if this was because it was Cardiff and Bellamy that brought the Iron fans out. Just a wondering thought I had as the team was announced. The only change made form the Reading game was Super Kev coming back to replace Matthews, no surprise there. Darcy Blake had kept his place ahead of Gyepes but I was told that was because Gabor was injured. Well that went up in smoke as he made the bench. I still hold firm Gabor might have blown his chance with us and was only there out of neccessity. Heaton was to stand between the posts, this is becoming the most obvious choice these days and no surprise in my eyes. Hudson was to partner Blake in central defence with Naylor covering the left back position. In central midfield we had Whitts partnering Oli and on the wings Bellamy and Burke. The attacking formation of Chopra and Bothroyd made up the team and what a juicy prospect it looks against a side that alot believe is punching above its weight in this league. The first 30 minutes was to prove that right for those who believed that.

For the first half Cardiff attacked the goal on the other side of the pitch from the visiting fans. Straight away they went into attack mode and this came from the reliable wing service of Burke that has served us well this season. However this first attack was not one of his crosses but a nice slick 4 man move that split the Scunny defence open. Burked passed the ball to Whitts who stood just outside the area. Whitts saw Chopra move into space in the area and picked him out with a well placed pass. Chops found himself near the byline causing the Scunny goalkeeper to commit himself coming off his line. Chops seeing this passed the ball through the oncoming keeper to a Jay Bothroyd unopposed on the goal line to tap the ball into an empty net after only two minutes. The perfect start we needed.

As expected this got the travelling fans to forget about their fatigue and get behind the team. It was not long before they had another goal to celebrate. Without repeating myself take the first goal and replace the 2 minutes with 9 and swap Bothroyd for Chops and you have the second goal. An awesome start and the perfect answer to last weeks Jacks disaster.

For the next 10 minutes it was all Cardiff with most of the attack coming down the Burke wing. Sadly this was to come to a quick end as it became clear Burke was struggling. He had picked up an injury and was soon replaced by Koumas. A bit of a damper but no one really worried being two up.

This substitution did seem to allow Scunny back into the game as they started to win alot more ball and put some attacks together. However they did struggle to break the Cardiff defence down until a defensive error by Blake saw their first chance. Darcy misstimed a move that saw the Scunny striker Sears break into the area. With only Heaton to beat he blasted the ball wide.

Another chance came Scunnys way soon after that produced an excellent save from Heaton. Once again Tom was on his way to becoming the man of the match. From what looked like a harmless move outside the penalty area saw another Scunny attack with only Heaton to beat. This time Tom got down low and palmed the ball away to safety. This is becoming a comforting sight these Heaton saves.

Cardiff weathered the storm and started to adjust without Burke. On the 30th minute mark we were awarded a free kick just inside the Scunny half. A typical floated cross from the boot of Bellamy was perfectly met by the head of Bothroyd in the penalty area and the ball was again on its way into the Scunny net. By now the away supporters were delirious with a couple of young lads in front of me falling backwards into my row. Dont you just love it when we are like that.

Fair play to Scunny after what was a cruel blow when they looked like getting back into the game, they picked themselves up and tried to get a goal back before half time. They did this due to a combination of them trying and a lack of concentration from us. An attacked down the right wing from where the away fans watched saw a cross hit too strongly across the area. Instead of a Cardiff defender chasing the ball we saw two Scunny players stop it going into touch and managing to send it back towards the Cardiff goal. The ball was crossed into the D area, 18 yards from goal, where it was met by an unopposed Scunny guy who coolly placed it into the net leaving Heaton no chance. This was practically on half time and was a disappointing end to the first 45 minutes.

As feared during the break this goal revived Scunny and they came out all guns blasting. They caught us cold at the start of the second half and created a few chances producing a couple of fine saves from Heaton. So it was a relief when we somehow was awarded a corner soon after this onslaught. A Bellamy corner was met by the head of Bothroyd producing the save of the game from the Scunny goal stopper. From within the six yard area a powerful header from Jay resulted in a point blank low save. The ball then seemed to ricochet between Cardiff and Scunny players before being kicked away to safety. Its games like this you wish you were a neutral because it does not do the heartbeat any good.

The game settled down to each team trying to split open the opposing defence line but the defenders were winning the day for this period of the game. This gave us all the chance to catch our breaths but unfortunately it was not long before we were all holding our breaths again. In the 73rd minute and from a Scunny attack that found Naylor wanting a powerful cross came into the Cardiff area and was met by an advancing Scunny striker who powerfully headed the ball into the net leaving Heaton no chance. For the first time us away supporters were quiet and the Peterborough factor started to play on our mines.

From the restart it was all Scunny and they created a number chances as they threw everything at us. Their best chance producing another fine save from Heaton. From a scramble in the six yard area the ball came to a Scunny player all alone who had time to place his spot. His effort caused a point blank save from Heaton. Without doubt Tom had kept us in the lead.

Once again it was a relief when the ball somehow ended up as a corner for us. It was an even bigger relief when a minute later it was in the back of the Scunny net. This corner was awarded to us in the 79th minute and Bellamy took it. A typical Bellamy powerful cross was headed away by a home defender only to go to a waiting Koumas just outside the area. He connected nicely with the ball and sent a fierce volley back towards goal. The ball took a wicked deflection and ended up in the net. Now it cannot be said if the Scunny goalkeeper would have saved it or not if it did not take this deflection into the net. The ball looked like it was heading for the right side of the goal as we the away fans looked at the game. It looked to me the keeper adjusted himself for the save. However the ball deflected off Oli and changed its path to the left side of the goal giving the keeper no chance. To be honest Oli knew very little about it but we did not care for that fact as the relief on our faces showed. The Peterborough factor when did that happen, not today thank you.

Going into the last 10 minutes we all begged for a quiet time but there was no chance of that as both team put a string of attacks together. The best one coming from the home side again where a powerful low 25 yard drive saw another fine low to his right save from Heaton that was once again palmed away to safety. The referree brought the game to an end after four minutes of extra time. A great win and 3 points that took us to the top of the league. I just wonder if this is the game that puts an English shirt on the back of Jay Bothroyd?

Summing up. A victory that was made hard work in the end. After 30 minutes and three up the game should have been sown up. Without taking any credit away from Scunny our concentration nearly let us down. Although we were cruising at one stage we started to lose it in midfield again. I would like us to go five midfield in these circumstances, just to tighten the game up in our favour. Hopefully this is a lesson we can learn from. We seems to be capable of getting these leads but need to consolidate them. This certainly would be easy on the supporters who were excellent today as expected. A bit weary but very vocal.

Re: Match report Scunthorpe v Cardiff City 13 Nov 2010

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Cheers Ian :ayatollah:

Re: Sticky:Match report Scunthorpe v Cardiff City 13 Nov 2010

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Excellent Report Ian, One of Your Best to Date :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Just got in been on the piss all day great report bottom line is 3 points away from home :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 am

Only 5,333 at the game today and that included over 800 Cardiff. The ground look nearly full as well but according to that figure is could get another 1,000 in there. That surprised me.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Excellent report Ian :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:16 pm

enjoyed reading that :ayatollah:

Re: Match report Scunthorpe v Cardiff City 13 Nov 2010

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks Ian, Look forward to The Notts Forest Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: