Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Massive match Sunday surely needs a massive flag!!!

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:31 pm

If anybody here fancies being the guardian of the 'Wembley Big Flag' for the derby game on Sunday, then drop me a PM.  I can then arrange to drop it to you prior to Sunday.  

The 'Pride of Wales' tagline will certainly get on the Jack's tits, if nothing else   :lol: :lol:

Would also look good on the BEEB too.

I'd suggest that it would look best held in one place, i.e. opposite tunnel rather than 'surfed' as it is not the right material for that purpose

Note: looking after it and unfurling / folding it back up, and returning to the storage room at the CCS really does take some doing, so you must be committed and responsible.

:ayatollah: 

Re: Massive match Sunday surely needs a massive flag!!!

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Arfur that is a fantastic idea and I would say yes but the fact I am living in Neath and sit in the Family stand ( where I don't think would be the best location for the Jacks to view it ) but surely there is someone on here who would like to do it.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

carlccfc wrote:Arfur that is a fantastic idea and I would say yes but the fact I am living in Neath and sit in the Family stand ( where I don't think would be the best location for the Jacks to view it ) but surely there is someone on here who would like to do it.

Yes mate, i'm sure there will be volunteers for it. There's been a lot of talk on here about improving the atmosphere, and this will crank it up a bit more.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:42 pm

arfur,cant you get in the top tier of the grandstand,there should be some room there with them not selling the seats. :!:

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 pm

hirwaunbluebird wrote:arfur,cant you get in the top tier of the grandstand,there should be some room there with them not selling the seats. :!:

Believe it or not HB, I thought that at a recent match where the end block of say 200 seats at the Grange End side of the Prem seats were completely empty. From my untrained eye in 116, it looked the perfect size for the flag.

Would be a long shot, especially as Sunday is apparently sold out, but I suppose an email to Wayne Nash wouldn't hurt. Him and Phil Williams have been awesome both at NP and CCS with regards to trying to sort a place for it.

Anyone on here in the Prem seating who could unfurl it and collect at end, if the club agreed?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:57 pm

its worth a try it would look really impressive there.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:28 pm

hiya arfur great idea that !as you now i tried surfing it a few times last year and we did it around 7 times eventually to o people moaning so we stopped it !! but your right it would look very impressive a few minutes to kick off unfurled from the top of the premier seating !! hopefully someone in that area can pm you or indeed if you can get clearance otherwise id suggest similair to last year surf it from the canton , but unlike last year get the flag in place on the back row of the canton so then come kick off time whoever is in the back can then pass it forward !! not sure but certainly i think full house live on bbc tele this is the oppurtunity for a flag comeback !!!

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 am

Aye Cefn, I remember you had a real go with it a few times. As of this morning, no PMs from volunteers, but we've got a few days left, plus I've mentioned it on the ccmb so most of the fans on MBs will have seen the plan.

I'll send an email to Wayne in the meantime.

As a reminder, this is how good it can look if put in the right place:

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/news/t ... ndex.shtml

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:59 am

My personal favourite is the Neath Port Talbot Bluebirds flag that hangs by me. It would really p*ss the Jacks and players off. The Pride of Wales flag will push them over the edge :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 pm

i think this flag she be hung constantly from the bars above the grange end. would look awesome hanging from the concert bars and i dont think it would block peoples view

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:42 pm

if there is an empty block of seats in the premier on sunday then i dont know why the flag couldnt stay there all game, it would look awesome

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:hiya arfur great idea that !as you now i tried surfing it a few times last year and we did it around 7 times eventually to o people moaning so we stopped it !! but your right it would look very impressive a few minutes to kick off unfurled from the top of the premier seating !! hopefully someone in that area can pm you or indeed if you can get clearance otherwise id suggest similair to last year surf it from the canton , but unlike last year get the flag in place on the back row of the canton so then come kick off time whoever is in the back can then pass it forward !! not sure but certainly i think full house live on bbc tele this is the oppurtunity for a flag comeback !!!

it was alright last season when it lasted. bit of a laugh like :ayatollah:
i'd love to do it but we would need the right amount of people to stop it being surfed. and im catching the train/bus in from penarth. and im not sure what time i at the ground :/

best thing to do would be to get it right at the front before kick off and get people on each corner so as it gets towards the top of the canton they can stop it and pull on the corners. hold it in place for around 30 seconds, get the atmosphere pumping. then it can simply be pulled to the bottom which would make it easier to gather and fold. thats if you can't put it over the prem seats.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:08 pm

i hope someone is able to pm arfur and go for it , even if its surfing it !! last season we did it but didnt quite work as only around 16,000 in the stadium, now it will be full and live on bbc great exposure for the club !! if theres any lads who are up for this wherever you in the ground drop arfur a pm, around 5/6 would be enough to get the flag unfurled and up and running :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 pm

a horse with no name wrote:i think this flag she be hung constantly from the bars above the grange end. would look awesome hanging from the concert bars and i dont think it would block peoples view

Yeah, we had a look at that before the Leicester PO semi. Wayne sorted it and Phil Williams took us round but due to a mix of H&S, advertising and even wind factors, it can't be left hanging anywhere in the CCS.

The egg are lucky that their crowds are shite, as it meant that they could cover the otherwise empty Grange End with a banner. Difference with theirs is it's professionally designed, to fit a winch they have just below the roof. You can see it when you next look up there. It was about as wide as a set of goalposts when we looked but I'm sure they've widened it since.

Their banner is rolled up and hooked up to the winch before games. Afterwards, it just gets lowered and rolled back up. Probably looks great but takes money, organising and professional install.

Back to ours, it looks like even the Premier seats are selling out, so if anyone wants the flag to put somewhere the Jack coaches and players may see it, then post on here. It needs to be collected before the game and stored safely.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:28 am

:ayatollah:

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:55 am

would be great in the ninian stand next to the gippos prior to kick off :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:would be great in the ninian stand next to the gippos prior to kick off :ayatollah:

Wayne has confirmed it's ok to surf BEFORE the game, so cheers to him.

Now then, we just need a few volunteers........ :?

Come on! I thought this was the all action, militant MB

:lol:

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:55 pm

what action is needed to pass the flag from ninian to canton.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:28 pm

kg1 wrote:what action is needed to pass the flag from ninian to canton.

I won't deny that it's hard work - looks great, but hard work, which is why I've always struggled to find volunteers.

If you're volunteering, drop me a PM and I can arrange to drop it to you.

I was at Leckwith earlier, and even wondered if anyone fancies putting it (staying with it and removing it) on one of the 'humps' around the slip road to give our West Walian friends a warm Pride Of Wales welcome???

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Is the flag coming?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:52 pm

hopefully annis or carl or a group of lads can make this happen !! i got involved last year and managed to surf it around 5 times prior to kick off, you need around 5 people and roll the flag into a giant carpet and carry it into the stadium, then it takes 2/3 mins and unfurl it and the people around you will join in then once unfurled off it goes !!!! this is the biggest derby game, live on bbc1 , massive exposure for the club :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:43 am

kg1 wrote:Is the flag coming?

No PM off you. Actually, no PM off anyone.

Simple equation - no volunteers = no flag

:?
:(