Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Where Were You When We were Shit?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Been going since the Scoular era & did'nt miss a game for years.Struggled in 84/85 during miners strike due to no money so i used to cycle down, tie the bike to floodlight & wait to just after half time when they opened the gates.That was a very poor team under Durban but i think things got even worse in the early 90's when crowds dipped below 2000 & we had a thin b/w programme to cut costs. Games of thar era that stand out were against Orient when it totally lashed down & a near empty bob bank with everyone moving to the back to keep dry.Aldershot, when there was hardly anyone there & a final game of the season against Blackpool in a crowd of 1700 which included several hundred Blackpool.Oh & we had beatings by Merthyr, Weymouth,Hayes & Bath!

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 am

rorkes drift wrote:i can just remember cardiff losing to middlesborugh 4-3, toshack clark gary bell etc, cant remember the year, but i was a little sprog honest, just thinking, i thin kwas scouler the manager

1970 mate :old: :old: :old: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 am

bloody hell was it that long ago, and that was not my first game :o

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:48 am

I have always attended a handful of games each season, last season I went to about 10 games, and this season I have my first season ticket....so yeah I am to what people are refering too as a 'glory supporter'

it's not that I am only interested in seeing premier league football, it's just I was encouraged by seeing the bluebirds doing well last season and now I have the bug.

So to answer the question- when the bluebirds 'were crap' as you say, as was mostly watching match of the day, but know the club is growing and florishing I am one of the many converts to championship football!

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Since 1981 for me. Best thing that has ever happened to the club was moving.

Were really getting big now!!

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:05 am

Rita Pidsdale wrote:I haven't missed many games since 1980, what about you?

30,000 Fans will Tell you they have been Watching City Since the 70's what they mean is they went to a couple of Big Games in the 70's and then Read the Football Echo for 25 yrs, IF ONLY THEY HAD ALL SUPPORTED CARDIFF CITY DURING THE BAD TIMES :old:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:

30,000 Fans will Tell you they have been Watching City Since the 70's what they mean is they went to a couple of Big Games in the 70's and then Read the Football Echo for 25 yrs, IF ONLY THEY HAD ALL SUPPORTED CARDIFF CITY DURING THE BAD TIMES :old:

Annis hartlepool,darlington.macclesfield etc away dont you mean the good times :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:18 am

beddau blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis hartlepool,darlington.macclesfield etc away dont you mean the good times :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes Your Right, I LOVED THOSE TRIPS and To people like US They Were Good times, A lot of Other people want the Bigger Names to watch lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:

on no he,s back behave lads lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: good trip sir !

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Remember the leaky drainpipe on the bob bank?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:30 pm

mallo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

on no he,s back behave lads lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: good trip sir !

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Yes Brilliant Thanks Mallo :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Forestbluebirds wrote:Remember the leaky drainpipe on the bob bank?

I Sure do, I loved The Run Down Old Ninian Park :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I Sure do, I loved The Run Down Old Ninian Park :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I loved the smell of piss, cigarettes and bovril as we got turned over by some crap Northern Club like Darlington.

I had season tickets during the Durban years and hardly missed a home game from 1983 until 1990. Then my family moved to Carmarthen and i've been in exile ever since. Had season ticketr for a few seasons. My kids love the city but my finances are tight at the moment and i cant afford to go regularly-next game for me is Burnley on December 18th.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I loved the smell of piss, cigarettes and bovril as we got turned over by some crap Northern Club like Darlington.

I had season tickets during the Durban years and hardly missed a home game from 1983 until 1990. Then my family moved to Carmarthen and i've been in exile ever since. Had season ticketr for a few seasons. My kids love the city but my finances are tight at the moment and i cant afford to go regularly-next game for me is Burnley on December 18th.

Gareth, WE HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF NINIAN PARK, They can Never take them away from us :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:[]

Gareth, WE HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF NINIAN PARK, They can Never take them away from us :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes Annis-great memories. For every defeat to Doncaster, Darlington etc there are the games that stick out-Plymouth 5-4 after being 4-1 down with 2500 in the ground (My Grandads last ever game-RIP), Chelsea 2-1 in Milk Cup, the big cup shocks (Leeds, Man City) plus other cup shocks like us beating Brentford 2-0 (yes newcomers Brentford used to be better than us!).

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Im only 16, and have had a season ticket for the past 4 seasons, and have not missed many games since then bar times when i was ill or couldnt get to the ground (as i wasnt allowed to go on my own haha!) hopefully i will now i wont miss any games in the near future! :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Yes Annis-great memories. For every defeat to Doncaster, Darlington etc there are the games that stick out-Plymouth 5-4 after being 4-1 down with 2500 in the ground (My Grandads last ever game-RIP), Chelsea 2-1 in Milk Cup, the big cup shocks (Leeds, Man City) plus other cup shocks like us beating Brentford 2-0 (yes newcomers Brentford used to be better than us!).

Plymouth was an amazing game, 4-1 down and to win 5-4 Superb, went to the 2nd leg in the Night We Won 2 nil :ayatollah:

The Chelsea game was Only 8,500, Felt like 40,000 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:09 pm

AlexBennett wrote:Im only 16, and have had a season ticket for the past 4 seasons, and have not missed many games since then bar times when i was ill or couldnt get to the ground (as i wasnt allowed to go on my own haha!) hopefully i will now i wont miss any games in the near future! :ayatollah:

Alex, Keep going My Son :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Didnt miss a home game between 78 and 86, ballboy for 6 yrs.

Moved away to South London in 86 when I was 13 yrs old , so since have averaged about 12 games per season home and away

But i was there when we were shit :shock:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:17 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:Didnt miss a home game between 78 and 86, ballboy for 6 yrs.

Moved away to South London in 86 when I was 13 yrs old , so since have averaged about 12 games per season home and away

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The 80's Were My Favourite Years :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
LutonBluebird wrote:Didnt miss a home game between 78 and 86, ballboy for 6 yrs.

annis liked the 80.s like myself as he could see is feet then - and he only has them ninian brekys to blame :lol:

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

The 80s were great as we never stayed in same division for more than a couple of years. Then we had Eddie Mays team of the early 90s which made all the suffering of the 80s go away.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Plymouth was an amazing game, 4-1 down and to win 5-4 Superb, went to the 2nd leg in the Night We Won 2 nil :ayatollah:

that chelsea game was one of the best ever in the bob bank

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:22 pm

MAESTEG BLUE wrote::

that chelsea game was one of the best ever in the bob bank[/quote]

I was about 14 at the time and in Grandstand Seats. Platnauer became a hero that night!