Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Where Were You When We were Shit?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:34 am

I haven't missed many games since 1980, what about you?

Re: Where Were You When We were Shit?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 am

Only managed about ten games a season if im honest, due to my job in retail management [Saturday off being a rare luxury]. Then meeting & marrying my first wife in 84/85, who hated football didn't help. It was Sam Hammams CCFC revolution that really got things going for me again.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

97- last season at ninian park - None! new stadium crap, been about 10 times :cry:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 am

Ben wrote:97- last season at ninian park - None! new stadium crap, been about 10 times :cry:

Try supporting the team, not the stadium it's fun

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:12 am

1st game v arsenal 1974 been going ever since. is that ok!

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:27 am

We need to welcome new Fans whether they started last week or 40 years ago!!

I hate the attitude at big games like wembley matches !! "where were you at Ninian Park" etc etc

Your Not a proper Supporter If You do this, I would guess It's the ones who do the jacks game every year singing it!!!

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 am

I agree, but was only saying on Saturday that we are now averaging more per game than we used to for every four games.

I myself was a part timer between 1967 and 1980. :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 am

Been going regular since 1972 and watched us when we were really shit and had shit Managers like Alan Durban and awful players like Billy Woof (God he was ruff :D ) Kevin Meacock etc.

However if we are to grow as a Club we have to attract new fans the fact that there was over 23,000 City fans there Saturday shows that people are starting to find Cardiff City attractive and the 'Sleeping Giant' is finally stating to stir from it's slumber :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:46 am

Born in '92, didn't even know Cardiff city existed until 2004 (Egg chasing family). Been supporting them since.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 am

Sitting in Grandstand as a kid full of snobs and stuff with my uncles and old man.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 am

When we were shit I used to travel the length and breadth of Britain and Europe
following this club. Ironically, over the last few seasons I've hardly been at all due
to work (or the lack of it) etc :(

Things looking up now though :D so i expect to get right back in the groove :ayatollah:

Guaranteed I'll do summat daft and end up with a f*cking ban though :lol: :lol:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 am

First game Millwall home 1977 :old: :old: . Been away to places like Hartlepool ,Darlington, Bury ,Scarbourgh over the years, I must have been Clinicaly insane :lol: :lol: Would,t have changed a thing looking back, Ive had some great times supporting City :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 pm

I was a part-timer Until the last 3-4 seasons. Now I can pay for my own tickets.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:23 pm

I was there through the crappy times. 3000 on the bob bank. Awful football, but still oved it. Cohen Grifffiths, Carl Dale, Tarki, etc etc. Remember Barnet, Maidstone, Gloucester City, Aarhus, Enfield

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:34 pm

Forestbluebirds wrote:I was there through the crappy times. 3000 on the bob bank. Awful football, but still oved it. Cohen Grifffiths, Carl Dale, Tarki, etc etc. Remember Barnet, Maidstone, Gloucester City, Aarhus, Enfield

crappy times 3000 on the bob bank dont u mean 3000 in NP they were the crappy times

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:01 pm

one of the oldest games i remember was 7-1 win over oldham away i am only 19 and had season tickets since i can remember. i was there season before hamman i think cant really remember much due to my age lol

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Have prob missed only around 15 games since 1988 when away on holidays etc.... !! Went down and got hooked and still loving it down the city :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Think iv missed less than 10 games in 15 years. :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Some great role models in this thread.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:54 pm

ive been as much as i can since feb 1999 before then i was a liverpool fan but saw the error of my ways when i first watched city. had a season ticket for last 7 years. im only 18 so wasnt possible to start watching much before that.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Pretty much constant since about 79 when I was allowed to go on my own ( before that was dependent on my old man to take me )....had a 5 year gap when I lived in Leicester but would see the midlands and northern games - hence I've been to a lot of shitholes with the City.

Used to watch Leicester at home too :oops:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:27 pm

First game in 1961 (1-1 v sheffield Utd in the First Division), regular since 1964.Started to lose interest in late 90's but Sam's arrival sparked my interest again. Current team the best I've seen.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was watching City in the times of Dick Scott , who the f**k is he I hear you say, :lol: :lol: also Dilywn John, Goal keeper Mel & John Charles With Ivor Allchurch Tapscott Peter King Also in the times of Tosh & Clarck, Bobby Woodruff so on so on, Went to Fulham when we were 1 down and Killed them in the end Fulham 1 5 Cardiff I have a Big Welsh Dragon Flag with me and there were Flags from all over the world on the river side of there ground, I went pass all of there Fans and Ploice Lower down a flag ( cant remeber which one ) and rise the Welsh dragon as it was the only flag they didnt have there. (Tea and coffee was Shit in there lock up no sugar and I take 2) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:52 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Only managed about ten games a season if im honest, due to my job in retail management [Saturday off being a rare luxury]. Then meeting & marrying my first wife in 84/85, who hated football didn't help. It was Sam Hammams CCFC revolution that really got things going for me again.

I missread the original post, first game, QPR, lg cup, Sep 76, regular late 70's & early 80's. My late grandfather followed City after WW2 & the fifties, & both my Grandad & father were present when City last won promotion to the top tier [ villa, 1960].

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Started watching City in 71. Through the 70s went to most home games but never travelled away. Left South Wales in 79 so only went to a few games in the early 80s at Ninian while visiting family. In that time I went to a few away games that where close to where I was living in England.

1986 left the country for a long time and only came home a couple of times a year. I would say I managed to get to around 6 games a season in the period.

Returned to Europe in 2008 and started seeing the games on a regular bases of about 2 a month. Finally returned to the UK in January and now determined to see all league games this season.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:45 pm

The where were you when were shit thread pops up now and again, and one of the best answers for it was.....

In nappies.

I am just on my fourth season of going to games, taking my children, I haven't missed a home game in that time. My children sometimes miss the odd game, but I have taken other children in their place who have gone on to nag their parent to ttake them.

Unlike the fans of 80/90's I have experience far more highs than lows, however I class myself no different than a fan that has been going since then.

Once its in your blood there is no going back.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 pm

First game in 1959 against Villa we won 1-0 to virtually clinch promotion to the old 1st division,went with some bigger kids in the street I was 9 :old: .Been watching ever since apart from a few sparse seasons 85-86 and 86-87 when I only saw a few games due to work.Did'nt miss 1 home game from 1990 to 2006. I did'nt mind watching them when they were shit though :(

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:43 pm

supporting man utd :D :D :D :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm

i can just remember cardiff losing to middlesborugh 4-3, toshack clark gary bell etc, cant remember the year, but i was a little sprog honest, just thinking, i thin kwas scouler the manager

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Stood in the vast emptiness that was the Bobbank not far from pillar D, somewhere under the *R in rum ....