Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City v Norwich City - CARL ROBINSON interview

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Another Great interview By Greg Davies

Following on from Sundays interview with Iwan Roberts, http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk caught up with former Norwich and Wales midfielder, New York Red Bulls Carl Robinson. He spoke to Greg Davies about the clash between the Bluebirds and his former club.

GD : Second place Cardiff host your former club Norwich on Saturday, who will be victorious??

CR : I think it will be a very tough game but i can see cardiff getting the result. Cardiff have the best attacking options in the league and if they perform most weeks then they will win most games.

GD : Norwich come to Cardiff on the back of a 1-0 win over 'Boro, putting them 4th in the league. Are you surprised by how well they're doing so far this season??

CR : Yes i am a little surprised but they have a fantastic manger in charge. I know that the boys love him there, and with results coming so do the fans! Its good to see them playing some lovely football as that is what the club is known for.

GD : What about Cardiff?? Last out they destroyed Leeds 4-0 on their own patch. Does that come as a shock and is there more to come from Cardiff??

CR : That result makes everyone sit up and take notice but they wont be getting carried away. Dave Jones is very calm, and its a marathon not a sprint. The start does help though as you then dont have to play catch up. Like I said, attack wise they can be unplayable but have to make sure that they get their defence sorted out.

GD : Before the start of the season things didn't look too bright for the Bluebirds, with the club under a transfer embargo and reports of player unrest - they were even priced with some bookies at odds of 28/1 for the title (I know because I backed them). How can you see them doing this year?? Is promotion on the cards at last for Cardiff??

CR : Promotion should always be on the cards for cardiff, as a club like them should always have those aspirations. If people talk them down its so players dont get carried away. I do believe that they will win promotion this year, especially with the addition of Craig Bellamy. Sometimes when a club has problems within it brings people closer and make you stronger as a squad!

GD : Which player do you think is key to turning this game for either side??

CR : I think Cardiff's Jay Bothroyd and Norwich's Grant Holt. Both powerful players who have started on fire.

GD : Are you suprised by former international teammate Craig Bellamy's decison to drop from the Premier League to play for his home town club??

CR : No not all all. Bellers had always said to me that he would one day join Cardiff, I just didnt believe him as he was at Man City and playing every week. He is a true welsh boy through and through so its a great honor for him.

GD : Moving away from the game on saturday, you are one of only 18 players to reach the fantastic milestone of earning 50 caps for Wales. What is your view on the Wales situation at the moment?? Three losses from three and any chance of qualification all but mathematically gone.

CR : Yes it is a fantastic acheivement and im truly honored as a true Welsh boy. It hurts when you see Wales losing and struggling as we have a good group of players. Im not sure if they can turn around this campaign as it will be very hard indeed but we need to get the situation sorted sooner rather than later.

GD : Who would you like to see in charge of the National side??

CR : Lots of names have been thrown into the hat but i would like to see Chris Coleman. He was a top player, and someone who I certainly respected. They need to decide sooner rather than later so the new boss can prepare for the massive game in march against the old enemy!

GD : Obviously the travel would be an issue, but is there any chance of you making an International u-turn ala Robbie Savage and making yourself available once again??

CR : No, when I decided to retire it was because there was younger players who were coming through and ready to play. I felt that there was no point in me blocking up their progression. I want whats best for the country, not what is best for me!!

GD : The New York Red Bulls have seeded first in the Eastern Conference play-offs and have drawn San Jose Earthquakes. How do you fancy your chances of going all the way??

CR : The play off system is very close and anyone can win it. We have as good a chance as anyone but it will be tough. If our big players perform then we will be very tough to beat.

GD : With the likes of Thierry Henry, Rafa Marquez, Juan Pablo Angel - it must be a fantastic time to be at the club??

CR : The 3 guys are not only great players but also great guys in the locker room. We have a superb mix of young and old players which always helps but we have a great changing room, with stuff happening all the time!

GD : Finally, you played under Cardiff City boss Dave Jones at Wolves. What can you tell us about him?? Is he the man to take the Bluebirds up??

CR : I could tell you lots about him, both good and bad!! He has a great knowledge of the game and a persona about him that players respect. For certain he is the man to take the Bluebirds up this year!!!

Re: Sticky:Cardiff City v Norwich City - CARL ROBINSON interview

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Cheers Greg, Brilliant Interview :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Keep them coming :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 pm

great interview :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:32 pm

CHEERS Greg :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Cardiff City v Norwich City - CARL ROBINSON interview

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:50 pm