Cardiff City Forum



A forum for all things Cardiff City

Eli King: I could have stayed at Cardiff - but

Sun Sep 27, 2026 1:45 pm

Eli King: I could have stayed at Cardiff - but it felt like time for change

The midfielder left the Bluebirds on transfer deadline day in favour of a permanent move to League Two Gillingham. ✍

The former Wales youth international had initially been earmarked for a loan away, however the midfielder felt it was time to write a new chapter in his career after spending a year sidelined with an ACL injury last season.



“It was quite a quick turnaround in terms of the move itself.

“I could have obviously stayed at Cardiff and then seen what happened there. But I just thought, considering the context of my situation, having not played football for a whole year, it seemed like the right place for me to take charge of my career a little bit rather than wait and hope that certain things might happen and wait for a chance.


“If it was that much of a gamble in my head at the time, I probably wouldn't have done it.”


“It shows the level of surety I had in my head, I suppose.

“I've made decisions like that in the past. On loan, not permanent, but sometimes you've got to go with your instinct. I had a decision to make in, in a few hours, so permanent,but it didn't feel like a panicked one. It felt measured."

Sure Bluebirds fans wish him all the best with the Gills
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Eli King: I could have stayed at Cardiff - but

Sun Sep 27, 2026 2:48 pm

I feel for Eli. Broke through with useless managers, then got a manager who'd appreciate what he does; then he has an ACL. I hope we sneaked in a secret buyback clause in his contract

Re: Eli King: I could have stayed at Cardiff - but

Sun Sep 27, 2026 3:29 pm

His injury at the start of last season probably ended any chance of him getting a real chance with us. Think he would have been involved a lot if he hadn't got injured.

I was surprised he left permanently though after the new contract, rather than on loan.

Re: Eli King: I could have stayed at Cardiff - but

Sun Sep 27, 2026 3:39 pm

He got a new contract while injured and BBM said in the media about it at the time he's the future of the club in an interview then got sold once fit and ready. Made no sense to me at all and I bet it was peanuts to with a sell on clause hopefully :bluescarf:

Re: Eli King: I could have stayed at Cardiff - but

Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:55 pm

Good Luck to the Lad .