Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dying Language...?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:25 pm

My younger brother goes to a welsh school, he's 7 and is fluent in welsh and english. Now i think this is great, i admire the resurgence of the welsh language and only wish i had the opportunity to learn it too, I mean even though it was on the national curriculum we didnt have a welsh teacher.. (Llanedeyrn high*being knocked down now, 6 years too late!*)

But is it too late? Im only 21 and surely even if the next generation is learning, they will probably f**k it off because know one knows it!
Anyway.. heres a poll from my uni homepage.. just made me a little sad.
thoughts

Re: Dying Language...?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 am

The Douce wrote:My younger brother goes to a welsh school, he's 7 and is fluent in welsh and english. Now i think this is great, i admire the resurgence of the welsh language and only wish i had the opportunity to learn it too, I mean even though it was on the national curriculum we didnt have a welsh teacher.. (Llanedeyrn high*being knocked down now, 6 years too late!*)

But is it too late? Im only 21 and surely even if the next generation is learning, they will probably f**k it off because know one knows it!
Anyway.. heres a poll from my uni homepage.. just made me a little sad.
thoughts

there are a lot foreign students.

Aberystwyth Uni probably has a lot of Welsh speakers.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 am

The welsh language will never die. We should be very proud that we have one of the oldest languages in the world and its been around a lot longer than English. At 49 years of age and just qualifying to teach i'm going back to college next year to learn it 100% and teach it to others........its our language and we should speak it as well as English. Perhaps welsh people are a little lazy when it comes to learning their own language?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 pm

When I was in school :old: we had a succession of weak kneed Welsh teachers who allowed dick heads to mess up the lessons.To be fair I found it boring at the time.We also seemed to never make any progress and were being taught the same stuff when I left Secondary school that we had when in the juniors,we never learnt any conversational stuff it was just stuff like we can, he can, you can etc.If they had more time and covered Welsh history as well then I think more kids would have wanted to learn Welsh. Especially if they had told us about the English victimising Welsh speakers.It was banned in shools in the 1800's and also Welsh was banned in the work place.I wish I had learnt it then after all its our culture,our own language which is much older than English which is a mongrel languge whereas Welsh is pure language and the oldest in Europe. It is not a dying language in my opinion.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:30 pm

I speak Welsh.

Meddyliaf fod pawb dylen siarad Cymraeg :ayatollah:

I learned at school :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 pm

i take my hat off to people who speak welsh.
however i have never had the need to speak it and would find more use for speaking spanish or french.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:02 pm

my daughter goes to welsh school just gone up to cwm rhymni in fleur de lys when she started in welsh infants ystrad mynach there was enough kids to have 2 classes for her age group as before that only 1 class per age group would recamend anyone thinking of sending thier kids there do so i think its a good school dont speak a word of welsh in the house has not held my daughter back

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:09 am

dwi sharrad cymraeg ai ain hoffi caerdydd, a yn howt yn rudwyn bwyi peter ridsdale dwin c**t!