Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Match report Coventry City v Cardiff City 19/10/10

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:39 pm

The enigma machine was a device used by Hitler in the second world war that kept this war machine communications secret or so he thought. This machine sent his orders in a secret code to his generals in the field. What he did not know was that this secret code was not so secret because some clever people at a place called Bletchly House had cracked it. So Britians secret was that it knew the secret code of the enigma machine and this was perhaps the reason why the Brits won the war. However it came at an expense because Hitler ordered his Luftwaffe (air force) to bomb Coventry and he used the enigma machine to send his orders. Although the higher echolons of the British authorites were aware of this because they could crack the enigma they did not want the Germans to know that they had sussed the machine out. Therefore instead of evacutating the city of Coventry they watched the Germans drop their bombs on the place. Tonight the resident of Coventry had another bom dropped on them.

Over a 1000 Bluebird fans made their way to the Ricoh Stadium and it must be said they struggled to get an atmosphere going. The stadium holds just under 30,000 but tonight the attendance was only 13,000. With all the empty seats that did not help to create an atmosphere. Adding to that it was perhaps the coldest night this season to watch a game of football so what was needed was an exciting game to get the crowd going. That never came.

Cardiff fielded a fairly strong team with Naylor, Gyppes.Hudson and MacNaughton defending Heatons goal. The midfield was led by Bellamy with Oli, Whiitngham and Burke as company. Bothroyd partnered Chopra up front and it looked like we were going to be in for a feast of goals. You could not blame anyone for thinking that as after 5 minutes we were awarded a penalty. Our first attack came from a cross from Bellamy that found Chopra in the clear who was brought down by a Coventry defender who should have been sent off for the foul. Whittingham to a few surprised fans stepped up to take the penalty. Comparing to his last two this one was the worst taken one. There was hardly any power in the shot but fortunately he sent the goalie the wrong way and the relief amongst the fans and himself could be felt as the ball crossed the line and into the net for a 1-0 lead.

That got us travelling fans excited as can be expected and we all though tonight is going to be a goal feast. Sadly the next 20 minutes was anything but as the game became a tight affair with hardly any chances being made. Coventry won the midfield battle in this period but Cardiff looked the more dangerous on the attack. However it was Coventry that created the best chance in this period when one of their midfielders ran into space, well actually it looked like our midfield opened it up for him, and from about 25 yards took a shot that was heading for the low left hand corner of Heatons goal causing Tom to dive low and turn the ball past the post for a corner.

Cardiff responded with the only attack that caused the Coventry goalkeeper to make a save. Burke made one of his many runs down the left wing and found Gyppes on the penalty spot with his back facing the goal. He skilfully managed to turn and put a powerful shot towards the goal causing a reaction save. Thats was the nearest Cardiff game to increasing their lead although our other central defender Hudson went close with a header from a Bellamy cross that ended up on the wrong side of the net.

Sadly it was a Hudson mistake that led to a Coventry goal just before half time. A careless pass in midfield gave possession back to the home side who put a move together that saw MacNaughton being outfoxed by Coventry Mcsheffery in the penalty area. Mcsheffery coolly circled the ball into the net leaving Heaton with no chance. A disappointing end ot the half to what was a disappointing 45 minutes after an bombshell of a start by Cardiff.

The second half was very much the same as most of the first half. Neither team tested their opposing goalkeepers. Bellamy to the delight of the home supporters was struggling and had little effect on the game. Cardiff best chances came down the wing of Burke who huffed and puffed but created very little. Coventry game plan was obviouse as they had this 6ft 5 in striker to target be it from a defensive position or throw it it was all roads to him. Fortunately for us Gyppes had him under control and this earnt the Hungarian the man of the match award.

The game was aiming to be a draw which on all fairness would have been the right result but like most things something happens that just not make life fair. In this case and just like 50 years ago during the second world war life was going to be cruel to Coventry again. With five minutes to go the huffing and puffing Burke finally got the better of this marker and got to the byline in the area. He produced a low cross for the oncoming Bothroyd who slotted the ball home for the winner. Totally unexpected by the away section but we did not care.

Four minutes of extra time was displayed but to be honest it could have been 40 minutes because Coventry were shell shocked and just could not pick themselves up after that. Cardiff saw the game out with no problem and are now just two points behind the leaders QPR but more importantly have five points distance from the third team Watford.

Summing up I am glad to say not that we got 3 points playing badly but that I am really please to announce Gyppes as our man of the match. Now Oli controlled the midfield like we are expecting him to these days and our defence did quite well. I mean Heaton had very little to do. However Gyppes took out the Coventrys main threat and that must be recognised. Definately man of the match in my eyes. However I just cant work this out at the moment. We are not playing well yet we are 2nd with 5 points to spare. Now I have said we have been lucky with who we have played but tonight we were up against a difficult side to play against. I cant see many going to the Ricoh and coming away with a win. So instead of trying to work it out all I'm going to say is well done to the team specially Gyppes and thaks to the 1000 travellers who made it a noght to remember.

Re: Match report Coventry City v Cardiff City 19/10/10

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Enjoyed that one Baked and a quick one

Interesting how you say we were over ran in midfield at some points but Iwan Roberts said that we lacked width. If we were overran like you say then it makes sense the wide player sucked in to help, imagine if they stayed very wide we would have been destroyed?

I thought Chopra may have played more wide tbh as Witts in CM is very lightweight unless he has two CM's for company.

Gypes MOTM - he is more than capable of that yet thought he was woeful against Bristol, one of if nt the worst in the team. Is it just Gypes and Hudson cant play together?

Great read and appreciated.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Another well written report :ayatollah:

Keep up the good work :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:16 am

Great report. On the radio they said it was a great first half with City (that's us :lol: ) being the most dangerous. Gypes sounded that he played really well with one fantastic turn and shot.
The fact we are not playing well at the moment but we are second is fantastic. What will happen when we do play well ?.
Another great report Chief especially for those who didn't go :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 am

Very good report, but I have to disagree with the choice of Gyepes as MOM, as in my opinion, Oli was streets ahead of any other player on the pitch! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 am

I also thought that the female referee's assistant was worthy of a mention, especially as I thought she was worse than the one we had on Saturday!
I don't like being sexist, but I think she should have stayed at home and either washed her hair, or the dishes instead! ;) :) :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:57 am

Ian, Really enjoyed your report as usual :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Agreed, good work again Ian, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Another good read. Thanks Baked :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Great report keep it up :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Great report. On the radio they said it was a great first half with City (that's us :lol: ) being the most dangerous. Gypes sounded that he played really well with one fantastic turn and shot.
The fact we are not playing well at the moment but we are second is fantastic. What will happen when we do play well ?.
Another great report Chief especially for those who didn't go :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The radio was bollox mate. We were 2nd best for most of the 1st half and most of the 2nd. started well, finished well but awful in between. At times when oli had been pulled out of position the rest of the midfield just stood and watched their players run through the middle of us.

Reading some of the comments made on here based on the radio commentary worries me about people jumping to conclusions based on what some half-wit commentator who half the time cant even get the names right says.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:57 pm

I have been ripping into our center halfs so to hear Gypes was MOM or had a good game then I am thrilled as we sort that out then championship can look out.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:04 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I have been ripping into our center halfs so to hear Gypes was MOM or had a good game then I am thrilled as we sort that out then championship can look out.

Personally thought oli was MOM by some distance.

Gyepes had a decent game as well against a difficult opponent IMHO.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Great report Ian

:ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks for the comments again guys. :ayatollah:

Although Oli was immense in midfield he did make some mistakes. Gyppes was flawless last night in his man to man marking of the gaint Coventry forward Clive Plat. He was Coventrys main threat and Gabor killed it. That why I thought he deserved the MoM.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Ian, Your Reports are getting more Enjoyable every read :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Thanks for the comments again guys. :ayatollah:

Although Oli was immense in midfield he did make some mistakes. Gyppes was flawless last night in his man to man marking of the gaint Coventry forward Clive Plat. He was Coventrys main threat and Gabor killed it. That why I thought he deserved the MoM.

No problem mate. All about opinions. I thought Gyepes did well. Elsewhere others think he was murdered by Platt ! Just so happy we won :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:28 am

Ian, I look forward to your Leeds match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: