Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Football hooliganism on the rise?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 am

Was thinking about this last night, and have come up with a theory why we are seeing it more often these days...

With the recession and all the hard times with redundancies, etc... Could this be fuelling the fighting?

To someone who has just lost there job, struggling with business or even just a bit short of cash, it is just a cheap way of getting a quick thrill on match day! And is a much cheaper alternative to Disney land ;) :lol:

Now before anyone slates me because of this, I do not in anyway agree with fighting at football... Those days are long gone and I don't want to see them return in the scale we all once knew or even at all... This post is just a theory as to why we are seeing more of it..

Anyone agree or have I just lost the plot from all the tension last night waiting for Carl's update? :lol:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Football hooliganism on the rise?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 am

I don't really think its anything to do with social issues, for me, its all down to recent films like the Firm and TV programs like Danny Dyers football factories. I'm not saying these films are encouraging it, but they're introducing a whole new generation to the culture. You've only got to see the amount of youngsters in their new Addidas trainers, Taccinni and Fila tracksuits to see the influence. I'm a bit older myself, but I remember back in the late 80's when hooliganism was there but not fife, then when the original ICF documentary was first shown on ITV the whole thing escalated. Its just like history repeating itself.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:37 am

I'd say fights should happen between fans, but only without putting innocent people into danger. In Lithuania there are plenty of small fights between us, but our main rule is to defend our club against infidels.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 am

People like to fight end of ,nothing to do with loosing your job etc. When I was in my early 20's that's all I thought about,meeting up with my mates then looking for the other lot to have a good old row.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:39 pm

You may have a point as it was bad during the late 70s and 80s when unemployment was high but I also agree that it is getting more arrests for the Police to keep the Police numbers with the Home office.

But it is no way near the same as it was years ago I thought looking at the Man City V Blackpool when the Man City supporters got on the pitch I thought here we go but it was contolled straight away however years ago it would have taken ages to get them back and playing football again even may have posponed the game for an hour or so.

But there are places in europe and south America that it is still as bad and worse than our worst hooligans in the 70s and 80s
and you never hear anything about it

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I dont think it Ever Really went away, its just it does not happen every week due to CCTV and BANNING ORDERS.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Check me out being a sticky ;)

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Oh no wait, it's not anymore :cry: :cry: :lol:

I agree with all of the above points, I think they definitely all combine as factors for it... It only caught my attention because we seem to be hearing about it more and more each season!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:12 pm

themadhatter wrote:Oh no wait, it's not anymore :cry: :cry: :lol:

I agree with all of the above points, I think they definitely all combine as factors for it... It only caught my attention because we seem to be hearing about it more and more each season!

Now it's back?! Annis stop teasing me! :lol:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:14 pm

themadhatter wrote:
themadhatter wrote:Oh no wait, it's not anymore :cry: :cry: :lol:

Now it's back?! Annis stop teasing me! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:19 pm

themadhatter wrote:Was thinking about this last night, and have come up with a theory why we are seeing it more often these days...

With the recession and all the hard times with redundancies, etc... Could this be fuelling the fighting?

To someone who has just lost there job, struggling with business or even just a bit short of cash, it is just a cheap way of getting a quick thrill on match day! And is a much cheaper alternative to Disney land ;) :lol:

Now before anyone slates me because of this, I do not in anyway agree with fighting at football... Those days are long gone and I don't want to see them return in the scale we all once knew or even at all... This post is just a theory as to why we are seeing more of it..

Anyone agree or have I just lost the plot from all the tension last night waiting for Carl's update? :lol:

I said it a while back - possible link to Tories?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21579&p=204397&hilit=poll+tax#p204397

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:32 pm

dougblue wrote:
themadhatter wrote:Was thinking about this last night, and have come up with a theory why we are seeing it more often these days...

I said it a while back - possible link to Tories?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21579&p=204397&hilit=poll+tax#p204397

I don't think the tories have so much to do with it.. I think it is more the Worldwide recession that has complicated people's lives so much! People are much more stressed with the prospect of finding new work etc and a ruck gives them the chance to let loose and get it all out.. likewise with the above suggestions, it all adds up, and i can see it continuing in the near to distant future :shock: :?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Xcasual wrote:People like to fight end of ,nothing to do with loosing your job etc. When I was in my early 20's that's all I thought about,meeting up with my mates then looking for the other lot to have a good old row.

Forever Blue wrote:I dont think it Ever Really went away, its just it does not happen every week due to CCTV and BANNING ORDERS.

agree on both of these comments :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:56 pm

I have to agree it hasn't really gone away has it. Wit most Prem clubs its swept under the carpet, with Chelsea it was hardly mentioned they just got on with the arrests months later. QPR Millwall didnt get a mention Newport only gets a ten word mention in the middle of a match report. Some mad woman makes up lies against City fans and its all over the papers.
It just hasn't started again its just a new generation carrying on with a different set of rules.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 pm

All this paranoia some on here have with "if it was City fans involved, it would be all over the news" doesn't wash with me. It's just that, it's paranoia. I went to football in the 80s, mostly in London, and the situation then was much, much worse, although of a different nature. Fighting used to happen inside as well as outside grounds but you get almost no trouble inside grounds now as you will get banned if you're caught. Or should that be when you get caught. I also believe the new fan is as much responsible for driving hooliganism away, especially from Premiership grounds, as the new breed of hooligan is for attracting new trouble

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Hiya mate! Alright? wrote:I don't really think its anything to do with social issues, for me, its all down to recent films like the Firm and TV programs like Danny Dyers football factories. I'm not saying these films are encouraging it, but they're introducing a whole new generation to the culture. You've only got to see the amount of youngsters in their new Addidas trainers, Taccinni and Fila tracksuits to see the influence. I'm a bit older myself, but I remember back in the late 80's when hooliganism was there but not fife, then when the original ICF documentary was first shown on ITV the whole thing escalated. Its just like history repeating itself.

Sorry, can't agree with this one. Football may be the channel....but society issues (lack of guidance, control, morals, etc) are the root cause.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: