Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Match report Cardiff City v Bristol City 16/10/10

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

There is a strong claim that Bristol City are our main rivals over the Jacks. This claim usually comes from the older supporters of Cardiff City who remember in the 60s and 70s when the Wurzels were running head to head against us while the Jacks were not even at the race, that is applying their trade in the lower leagues. However this all changed when under John Toshack the Jacks caught us up then went well pass us as they reached the dizzy heights of the top league, the old 1st division. This period of time made everyone in the capital realise there was another team in Wales but the Cider drinkers were still considered the main rivals. However the City fan of the 80s accepted Swansea as the main rivals as we shared the same league with them unlike the 60s and early 70s. So if you ask the question who are our main rivals the older generation will say its the Wurzels while the younger ones will tell you its the Jacks. What all will agree with is whoever you consider your main rival is its guaranteed to be an exciting match and todays game against the pitch fork hay bailers certainly proved that.

It was an early kick off for this local derby against the Wurzels. Why they could not make it a normal 3 o'clock KO I dont know. In fact someone had to tell me that is the normal time for a KO else but it does not seem to be the case for Cardiff these days. At least this early start introduced some of us to the new mega breakfast at the Ninian pub and at £4.99 there is absolutely no way they make a profit out of that. I believe a pic was taken of this breakfast and will be put up on the forum later. This is worth waiting for, even more so than Carls updates

Back to the match everyone was feeling confident about getting a good result. The Wurzles were still struggling with injuries and with Chopra being back everyone was optomistic. Adding to that Englands No 1 was between the sticks for the visitors so we were guaranteed a hatfull of goals. As I walked to the ground I wondered what reception David James would get from us. I expected it to be volatile and was looking forward to it.

As I took my seat in the ground I was quite disappointed with the attendance. The Wurzles had only brought around 500 which was a shame but there were plenty of home seats needed filling. Obviously news spreads fast around Cardiff as it became known that Bellamy was not playing. This is a real shame that 1000s of fans decide to stay away because we dont put out our strongest team.

So the teans made their way onto the pitch in front of what felt like a half empty stadium. I concentrated on David James as he made his way to the goal he was keeping. I waited for the reaction from the crowd but was disappointed nothing came. Now I know this topic has been discussed many times on here about the intimidation of Ninian Park but I did expect to witness something of its like with the appearance of a high profile ex England no 1. There was nothing and this I felt was a real shame.

Cardiff fielded a fairly strong team but still had 2 key players missing in Bellamy and Drinkwater. It was great to see Chopra back supporting Bothroyd up front. The back line consisted of MacNaughton, Hudson, Gyppes and Naylor with Heaton in goal. Burke, McPhail, Whittingham and Oli made up the midfield and overall it was looking a strong team that should cope with the team at the bottom of the league. Yes everyone was feeling confident until we witnessed the first eight minutes of play.

John Stead, the Wurzels main striker had been a curse for Cardiff over the years and was to continue that from the off. The first real attack saw Stead turn Hudson inside out resulting in a free kick just outside the area on the byline. From the free kick the ball was floated to the far post and was met by an oncoming Bristolian who put it in the back of the goal. The Cardiff defence stood still, was caught cold and the Ninian stand fans had to watch as the whole of the visiting team celebrated in front of their fans. It was a start none of us expected and it was to get worse.

Cardiff from the KO aimed to hit back and nearly did. Burke found himself in space on the right wing and sent a perfect cross to Bothroyd who headed the ball destined for the net. Miracles do happen in life and us Cardiff fans witnessed one there and then as we saw Englands no 1 actually make a save. As we all looked at each other wondering how that happened the ball then ended up in the Cardiff net again. The next attack brought a corner for the Wurzels which resulted in a far cross being headed down to a waiting John Stead. Stead had his back to the goal but somehow hooked the ball into the Cardiff net on the 8th minutes. So within quick succession the Ninan stand had to watch the celebrations in front of the Wurzel travellers again.

As we all tried to work out what was going on Cardiff got a goal back. Chopra found Bothroyd in space in the Bristol area who in return slammed the ball in the back of the net. It was then all Cardiff for the remaining first half with Burke working well with MacNaughton down the right wing creating the best chances. McPhail and Hudson went close and Bothroyd brought another save from England no 1. Had Englands no 1 discovered what his job was? Difficult one to answer that as the second half saw a return to normal service regarding this high profile individual.

An early goal was needed at the start of the second half to resurrect the day for the Cardiff faithfull. Personally I dont think it could have come any early than it did. Literally from the KO Cardiff were awarded a free kick some 30 yards out and near the touchline. Whittingham took the kick and wiped in a typical cross he can only do. The ball beat everyone and ended up in the back of the net. So all that hard work from the visitors was all undone within seconds of the second half KO. That was the last we heard from the combine harvestor fans as you could see on their faces they were just about to blow it.

Cardiff dominated the game after that but in fairness Bristol City did give it a go when they were allowed to. They had a couple of chances to regain the lead but did not have the finishing touch. However most of the half they were defending deeply and desperately. Sustained pressure from the Cardiff saw Bothroyd with the best chance shooting wide with only Englands no1 to beat. With 13 minutes remaining a free kick was awarded just outside the Bristol area to Cardiff.

Jason Koumas was on the pitch now from replacing McPhail. He lined up with Whittingham over the ball for this free kick outside the area. Now Jason has been struggling with his form since returning to Cardiff so it looked like this was his chance to get going. However Whittinghams season had got going earlier on and he was not going to give Jason the chance as he once again wiped a shot over the Bristol wall and left the diving Englands no 1 stranded. The ball was once again in the back of the Bristol goal and Cardiff has turned around a two goal deficit thanks to a trademark goal from Whittingham. Now who voted to keep Burke over Whittingham the other day?

Although the remaining minutes of the game were tense for us Cardiff fans our defence saw the game out comfortable in the end. Oli just pipped MacNaughton to the man of the match. He basically controlled the midfield on his own. It was one of those displays that you only realise when the game is over. He continually broke down the Wurzels midfield and stopped alot of their attacks. He looked on his own most of the time taking on sometimes 3 of the opponents and coming out on top. Awesome he was.

Summin up it was a typical derby that seems to be played here in the principality. You had goals, you had fast attacking open play, you had your incidents and controversity and you were on the edge of your seat. Now Merseyside lets see if you can beat that. I doubt it.

Re: Match report Cardiff City v Bristol City 16/10/10

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Cheers Ian, Your Best Match Report So Far :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:37 pm

great report again ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:41 pm

thnx for the excellent report again :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm

excellent report Ian :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:00 pm

thanks very much Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:09 pm

So the teans made their way onto the pitch

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:27 pm

I hate Bristol City. When I got into city we didn't play Swansea for a very long time yet played Bristol City regularly. I also in my school days only knew a Bristol City fan that led to banter.

Glad we got one over them today. Bristol City 2-0 up very early must have thought their christmas had came early :lol:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:37 am

Bakedalasker wrote:There is a strong claim that Bristol City are our main rivals over the Jacks. This claim usually comes from the older supporters of Cardiff City who remember in the 60s and 70s when the Wurzels were running head to head against us while the Jacks were not even at the race, that is applying their trade in the lower leagues. However this all changed when under John Toshack the Jacks caught us up then went well pass us as they reached the dizzy heights of the top league, the old 1st division. This period of time made everyone in the capital realise there was another team in Wales but the Cider drinkers were still considered the main rivals. However the City fan of the 80s accepted Swansea as the main rivals as we shared the same league with them unlike the 60s and early 70s. So if you ask the question who are our main rivals the older generation will say its the Wurzels while the younger ones will tell you its the Jacks. What all will agree with is whoever you consider your main rival is its guaranteed to be an exciting match and todays game against the pitch fork hay bailers certainly proved that.

It was an early kick off for this local derby against the Wurzels. Why they could not make it a normal 3 o'clock KO I dont know. In fact someone had to tell me that is the normal time for a KO else but it does not seem to be the case for Cardiff these days. At least this early start introduced some of us to the new mega breakfast at the Ninian pub and at £4.99 there is absolutely no way they make a profit out of that. I believe a pic was taken of this breakfast and will be put up on the forum later. This is worth waiting for, even more so than Carls updates

Back to the match everyone was feeling confident about getting a good result. The Wurzles were still struggling with injuries and with Chopra being back everyone was optomistic. Adding to that Englands No 1 was between the sticks for the visitors so we were guaranteed a hatfull of goals. As I walked to the ground I wondered what reception David James would get from us. I expected it to be volatile and was looking forward to it.

As I took my seat in the ground I was quite disappointed with the attendance. The Wurzles had only brought around 500 which was a shame but there were plenty of home seats needed filling. Obviously news spreads fast around Cardiff as it became known that Bellamy was not playing. This is a real shame that 1000s of fans decide to stay away because we dont put out our strongest team.

So the teans made their way onto the pitch in front of what felt like a half empty stadium. I concentrated on David James as he made his way to the goal he was keeping. I waited for the reaction from the crowd but was disappointed nothing came. Now I know this topic has been discussed many times on here about the intimidation of Ninian Park but I did expect to witness something of its like with the appearance of a high profile ex England no 1. There was nothing and this I felt was a real shame.

Cardiff fielded a fairly strong team but still had 2 key players missing in Bellamy and Drinkwater. It was great to see Chopra back supporting Bothroyd up front. The back line consisted of MacNaughton, Hudson, Gyppes and Naylor with Heaton in goal. Burke, McPhail, Whittingham and Oli made up the midfield and overall it was looking a strong team that should cope with the team at the bottom of the league. Yes everyone was feeling confident until we witnessed the first eight minutes of play.

John Stead, the Wurzels main striker had been a curse for Cardiff over the years and was to continue that from the off. The first real attack saw Stead turn Hudson inside out resulting in a free kick just outside the area on the byline. From the free kick the ball was floated to the far post and was met by an oncoming Bristolian who put it in the back of the goal. The Cardiff defence stood still, was caught cold and the Ninian stand fans had to watch as the whole of the visiting team celebrated in front of their fans. It was a start none of us expected and it was to get worse.

Cardiff from the KO aimed to hit back and nearly did. Burke found himself in space on the right wing and sent a perfect cross to Bothroyd who headed the ball destined for the net. Miracles do happen in life and us Cardiff fans witnessed one there and then as we saw Englands no 1 actually make a save. As we all looked at each other wondering how that happened the ball then ended up in the Cardiff net again. The next attack brought a corner for the Wurzels which resulted in a far cross being headed down to a waiting John Stead. Stead had his back to the goal but somehow hooked the ball into the Cardiff net on the 8th minutes. So within quick succession the Ninan stand had to watch the celebrations in front of the Wurzel travellers again.

As we all tried to work out what was going on Cardiff got a goal back. Chopra found Bothroyd in space in the Bristol area who in return slammed the ball in the back of the net. It was then all Cardiff for the remaining first half with Burke working well with MacNaughton down the right wing creating the best chances. McPhail and Hudson went close and Bothroyd brought another save from England no 1. Had Englands no 1 discovered what his job was? Difficult one to answer that as the second half saw a return to normal service regarding this high profile individual.

An early goal was needed at the start of the second half to resurrect the day for the Cardiff faithfull. Personally I dont think it could have come any early than it did. Literally from the KO Cardiff were awarded a free kick some 30 yards out and near the touchline. Whittingham took the kick and wiped in a typical cross he can only do. The ball beat everyone and ended up in the back of the net. So all that hard work from the visitors was all undone within seconds of the second half KO. That was the last we heard from the combine harvestor fans as you could see on their faces they were just about to blow it.

Cardiff dominated the game after that but in fairness Bristol City did give it a go when they were allowed to. They had a couple of chances to regain the lead but did not have the finishing touch. However most of the half they were defending deeply and desperately. Sustained pressure from the Cardiff saw Bothroyd with the best chance shooting wide with only Englands no1 to beat. With 13 minutes remaining a free kick was awarded just outside the Bristol area to Cardiff.

Jason Koumas was on the pitch now from replacing McPhail. He lined up with Whittingham over the ball for this free kick outside the area. Now Jason has been struggling with his form since returning to Cardiff so it looked like this was his chance to get going. However Whittinghams season had got going earlier on and he was not going to give Jason the chance as he once again wiped a shot over the Bristol wall and left the diving Englands no 1 stranded. The ball was once again in the back of the Bristol goal and Cardiff has turned around a two goal deficit thanks to a trademark goal from Whittingham. Now who voted to keep Burke over Whittingham the other day?

Although the remaining minutes of the game were tense for us Cardiff fans our defence saw the game out comfortable in the end. Oli just pipped MacNaughton to the man of the match. He basically controlled the midfield on his own. It was one of those displays that you only realise when the game is over. He continually broke down the Wurzels midfield and stopped alot of their attacks. He looked on his own most of the time taking on sometimes 3 of the opponents and coming out on top. Awesome he was.

Summin up it was a typical derby that seems to be played here in the principality. You had goals, you had fast attacking open play, you had your incidents and controversity and you were on the edge of your seat. Now Merseyside lets see if you can beat that. I doubt it.

fantastic post mate everything you say is spot on

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 am

Good report!

The 12 o'clock kick off does no favours to those who have children playing junior football in Cardiff.The league insist the games are played and even with 9:30am kick offs, you still have to get nets down,etc and try and get from one side of Cardiff to the other.

Of course,it doesn't help when you decide toi try the City Line train and it runs 15 minutes late !

I got there in time for the first Brizzle goal :cry: and there were still people at ticket kiosks and walking up to the ground.
3 minutes later I was beginning to wonder if it had been worth the rush as the City defence decided to have a lie in !

Still all came good in the end with a deserved win and with Bellers to come back into the team ,McPhail going on the bench with Whitts moving into the middle ?

:ayatollah:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:41 am

Cracking report Chief knocs spots off of mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:08 pm

ANOTHER EXCELLENT MATCH REPORT KEEP IT UP :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Top report Ian.

When we were discussing the first half at half time we were both pretty quiet, shocking display, but thankfully the second half was what we were hoping for.

In the end a good win but my god our defence scares the life out of me.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for the kind comments guys. :ayatollah:

chris_ccfc wrote:Top report Ian.

When we were discussing the first half at half time we were both pretty quiet, shocking display, but thankfully the second half was what we were hoping for.

In the end a good win but my god our defence scares the life out of me.

I recall saying to you we need an early goal. Someone was listening to me hey?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Ian, look forward to Tonights Match Report v Coventry C :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: