Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: BE HONEST REGARDING CARDIFF

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:41 pm

I dont care what they do, hate the sport. Never liked rugby and never will.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Rather Dragons because of my area I am from.

I wouldn't begrudge them anything.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:03 am

I used to like the Ponty rugby team.
Loads of City fans among them too.

Garin Jenkins (played for Swansea) is a MASSIVE City fan.
Big mates with Big Gwyn and will often get along to a game.

His boy is is a really handy footballer too.

When I was in HTV Sport working (fuckin HTV...they were the days a? :D )..
We used to cover the Rugby World Cup.
So I'd have to work on them.

The Welsh rugby player (like most rugby players) tend to be very down to earth and approachable.
Lots of them used to be Footy fans and of course because of Soccer Sunday they'd straight away start on about 'City'.

So I'd often end up taking them (showing my age now) VHS's of games and stuff.

Being Welsh I'll be honest and say I want Wales to win in everything.
Any Sport.
(I used to love the Welsh Snooker team as a kid...they were good too...Mountjoy, Griffiths and Readon).

What I do find difficult though (and does effect me) it the biase shown against City (and football fans in the media).

When I was there I could do something about that I used too.

In fact when I come to the Ninian Park pub I'll tell you an absolutely true story about something I did after City's fans did something very naughty that would have got me in a lot of trouble....but I kept it off the TV....I can't believe I even did it now.......but sometimes you've just gotta........ ;)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 am

Jonny, you and I have to Disagree :cry: Sorry, I actually want Cardiff Blues to leave Our Stadium and Would Rather them Loose every week as I hate Rugby that much, Since School days I have hated it, when they all laughed at City, Our Dept Head played for their Reserves and so Banned Football in Our School :evil:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:55 am

Forever Blue wrote:Jonny, you and I have to Disagree :cry: Sorry, I actually want Cardiff Blues to leave Our Stadium and Would Rather them Loose every week as I hate Rugby that much, Since School days I have hated it, when they all laughed at City, Our Dept Head played for their Reserves and so Banned Football in Our School :evil:

Were all the "Newport" schools like that :D

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:16 am

Forever Blue wrote:Jonny, you and I have to Disagree :cry: Sorry, I actually want Cardiff Blues to leave Our Stadium and Would Rather them Loose every week as I hate Rugby that much, Since School days I have hated it, when they all laughed at City, Our Dept Head played for their Reserves and so Banned Football in Our School :evil:

Growing up on the outskirts of Bristol Annis i was privileged that Football Rugby Cricket etc was treated as equal. So as a kid i never had the hatred of Rugby but talking to a lot of Lads and Friends esp Placid you get the same story as you are telling then i get to understand the hatred towards Rugby. By boy in Junior school here in Gilfach they took Rugby very seriously and played it with a proper coach but football was played after school with a female teacher who hasn't got a clue. :evil: On St Davids day every kid has to wear a Welsh RUGBY top and got told a Welsh Football top would not be acceptable!! that is a f*cking disgrace and i was fuming saying to my MRS i was going to make a stand and put Regan in a footy top :D but she over ruled me :cry: and said i wasn't going to use Regan as a tool to argue my point :cry:
But the kids are brainwashed especially in the Valleys that Rugby is our national sport and unless you love Rugby and only Rugby then you aint properly Welsh. ANNIS I NOW OFFICIALLY IN YOUR CORNER ON THIS I f*cking HATE RUGBY :D :D

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 am

Ha! No problem mate.

Funny thing Merthyr was always a football town. It was football before the bell, dinnertime, break time, until it went dark.

But it's always been like that apparently. I always remember a famous Welsh Historian going 'Merthyr was always a football town right in the middle of the Rugby heartland'....weird init?

We never even had a Welsh International (rugby) from there till recently.

But loads of Welsh football internationals were from the town from Bryn Jones right through to Pembridge and Bowen.

In school they did try to make us play rugby...but I'll be brutally honest the thought of being jumped on or studded by some fat c*nt never appealed to me at all...so I always just nipped off to play football or got my Grandfather to do me a note..ha!

Everyone I knew was into football..played it. Watched it. Merthyr, City...they always had a team in the old Div 1...ManU, Scouse, Spurs etc. It's just how it was. Football and Music.

The rugby tended to be just about International day...and mostly England for that. So you always wanted Wales to win that one...but Merthyr had no real rugby team like say Llanelli or Cardiff or Newport. So it was all The Martyrs..who used to always have nearly 2,000 for home games when I was a kid.

Obviously as I got older I realised how much the Establishment in Wales gear everything up to Rugby (as I tried to explain in the FA Cup piece I did)..which was to the detriment of the Football fan in Wales.

BUT what that did was make the Football fan feel part of a different tribe. Part of something different...as if you had a bit more 'sus' than the Rugby Top Wearing blokes who hollered abuse at a team that always seemed to be getting hammered by New Zealand.

Add to that the Wank Bank/Bob Bank being alive with lads giving you tapes of new music, having new gear on and selling fanzines and a whole subculture was developing BECAUSE we were outsiders. Fighting against the perceived image of us as just mindless thugs. The truth was some of the brightest most talented innovative people I ever met were on the terraces...a fact that's now spilt into the main stream from writers such as Irvine Welsh and Kevin Sampson to bands like Oasis.

And nothing bonds people quicker than being outsiders and left to do their own thing.
Being a Football fan in Wales back in the day was just about the best apprenticeship for life you could have AND you made the best friends you'd ever have. ;)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:41 am

Keli wrote:

Were all the "Newport" schools like that :D

:lol:
I went to School in Cardiff and newport, BORN IN ROATH :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:43 am

Nuclearblue wrote:

Growing up on the outskirts of Bristol Annis i was privileged that Football Rugby Cricket etc was treated as equal. So as a kid i never had the hatred of Rugby but talking to a lot of Lads and Friends esp Placid you get the same story as you are telling then i get to understand the hatred towards Rugby. By boy in Junior school here in Gilfach they took Rugby very seriously and played it with a proper coach but football was played after school with a female teacher who hasn't got a clue. :evil: On St Davids day every kid has to wear a Welsh RUGBY top and got told a Welsh Football top would not be acceptable!! that is a f*cking disgrace and i was fuming saying to my MRS i was going to make a stand and put Regan in a footy top :D but she over ruled me :cry: and said i wasn't going to use Regan as a tool to argue my point :cry:
But the kids are brainwashed especially in the Valleys that Rugby is our national sport and unless you love Rugby and only Rugby then you aint properly Welsh. ANNIS I NOW OFFICIALLY IN YOUR CORNER ON THIS I f*cking HATE RUGBY :D :D

WE WILL STAND TOGETHER AGAINST THEM :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:51 am

Forever Blue wrote:BLUES, Do you want them to Win every game, Loose every game or Dont care what they do ?

dont care but i hope the welsh national team lose every game

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:14 pm

murphy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:BLUES, Do you want them to Win every game, Loose every game or Dont care what they do ?

dont care but i hope the welsh national team lose every game

That is so wrong :o

Wales! Wales! Wales!

No matter what the sport.....

:old:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:17 pm

i honestly dont know when they play what league they are in or how they are doin and im getting on fine in life without the knowledge

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:39 pm

I want Cardiff to win at everything, including Rugby.

Here in the Valleys, Football was played in the Yard, Rugby on the Field.

The problem was, a large majority of PE Teaches in Comprehensive School were Rugby Players before the game went Proffesional.

Go to a school and ask kids, Football or Rugby, I would wager 80% would say Football is their number 1 sport, always has been, always will be.. :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

English or Welsh school?

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:27 pm

English school Chief

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:40 pm

I think it's childish to hate another sport....it's only a sport for ffs !! There are sports that I don't like and some which I have little interest in but to hate a sport and to hope that your local town/city or even your country loses at that particular sport just because you hate it is pretty pointless. Only my opinion.

In answer to the question I want Cardiff Blues to win every game....because that would be good for Cardiff. Also I have no problem with them sharing our ground. I want Glamorgan to win every game and I'm not even very keen on cricket tbh and I definitely want Wales to win in every sport because I'm proud to be Welsh. I think that we should cherish the diversity within our society and then perhaps there would be a lot less hatred around.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:59 pm

not into rugby not in the cardiff blues.......i want the CCS just for Cardiff City :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 am

i allways check their score when they play, just love it when they lose

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 am

lose every game :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Even tho I'm an osprey follower, I think if the blues are winning then more people will come to watch them, so more food, drink sold which is good for us?? Am I right?? Also a few people may bring their kids back to see bellers and get the bug! Just like we all did at our first game. Im cheering on all teams at home at ccs!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:08 pm

If there was a Cardiff tiddlywinks team I'd want them to win every game.
Being away from the city makes has made me even more passionate about all its sporting competitors. It's just that CCFC comes first.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:22 pm

I hope they win as they are a Cardiff team. But if any of the other Welsh regions are not playing the Blues, I would want them to win.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Another good debate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: