Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Witness one sporting moment live.

Mon May 06, 2024 3:30 pm

If you could transport yourself back in time to witness one sporting moment from history, what would you choose?

I was watching the final black between Davis and Taylor and it got me thinking how brilliant it would have been to be there.

For me, it’s a recent one, I would give my left foot to have been there at the Wales v Belgium 3-1 match.

Re: Witness one sporting moment live.

Mon May 06, 2024 3:53 pm

Davis v Taylor is a good shout.

Would also say 1927, to see us win the FA Cup. Will probably never happen again in our lifetimes.

Mon May 06, 2024 4:18 pm

Easy for me; I'd like to have been at the 1927 FA Cup Final... :ayatollah:

But beyond my beloved Bluebirds, I would like to have been at the 1936 Olympics to see Jesse Owens stick it to Adolph Hitler in his own tent...! :laughing6: :ayatollah:

Mon May 06, 2024 5:28 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Davis v Taylor is a good shout.

Would also say 1927, to see us win the FA Cup. Will probably never happen again in our lifetimes.

Yeah I missed the obvious one, could start a rumour amongst the terraces that I was from the future and to avoid anyone called Vincent.

Mon May 06, 2024 5:29 pm

Sven wrote:Easy for me; I'd like to have been at the 1927 FA Cup Final... :ayatollah:

But beyond my beloved Bluebirds, I would like to have been at the 1936 Olympics to see Jesse Owens stick it to Adolph Hitler in his own tent...! :laughing6: :ayatollah:

Great shout that one, take that Adolf

Mon May 06, 2024 5:33 pm

Following the Olympic theme, it would’ve been amazing to witness Bob Beamon’s long jump world record at Mexico 1968. Jumped 29ft when nobody had got near that mark before.

Mon May 06, 2024 5:38 pm

Would have to be the 1927 fa cup final.

Outside of anything city related, I would say the hand of God incident

Mon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm

Great question :thumbright:

First has to be the 1927 FA cup final.

Outside of the bluebirds it would be the rumble in the jungle, foreman v Ali, probably the most famous boxing match of all time.

Would also have loved to be ringside at any of Calzaghe's fights.

Mon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm

I know people hate the egg on here, but I was there, in the corner of the South terrace, when Gareth Edwards scored “that try” for the Barbarians against the All Blacks in 1973. I was 15 at the time.

But I also rate Ben Turners equaliser against Liverpool in the Carling Cup Final.

On an Olympic theme, I would have loved to have been at the London stadium on that Super Saturday night in 2012 when Great Britain won 4 gold medals.

Mon May 06, 2024 6:09 pm

Wales v Brazil in The Quarter finals of The World cup in 58.

Mon May 06, 2024 9:47 pm

Robson Kanu goal against belgium

Tue May 07, 2024 7:33 am

FRANCE SUMMER of 2016

As a Welshman proud and true to wander around France in that magical Summer of 2016 will live with me until I start pushing up the daisies. :clap:

Tue May 07, 2024 8:25 am

For a City related sporting moment it would have to be John Buchanan's wonder strike in the final mins of the Derby the scum had been 3-1 up. Or Chops winner in 2010.
Apart from that Bales winner against Belgium in 2015 to qualify for the Euros, i know the tournament itself was amazing but that night at CCS was special.

Tue May 07, 2024 9:09 am

A Joe Calzaghe bout,a top title defence is a good shout, never attended.
Calzaghe is a true great, possibly underrated by the wider boxing world.
Our F.A cup win would've been interesting, i wonder what the match day experience was like back then. Did they sing in unison much?

Tue May 07, 2024 10:34 am

Cardiff_CPT wrote:A Joe Calzaghe bout,a top title defence is a good shout, never attended.
Calzaghe is a true great, possibly underrated by the wider boxing world.
Our F.A cup win would've been interesting, i wonder what the match day experience was like back then. Did they sing in unison much?

I watched Calzaghe v Manfredo but that was a bit of a joke bout. Still a great experience though

Tue May 07, 2024 1:33 pm

Back to 1980 for me to witness me score an overhead kick from 18 yard box knowing now that I would never get my fat arse that high again :old:

Tue May 07, 2024 2:22 pm

For a non-City or Wales sporting moment, I would opt for David Hemery winning an Olympic gold in the 400m hurdles in 1968. He was nowhere near being favourite but he annihilated the field in a new World Record time.

Earlier, someone mentioned Bob Beamon in the Long Jump. One of the most magical moments in sport but at the time I was gutted that Lynn Davies got beat defending his Olympic title.

Tue May 07, 2024 2:29 pm

Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns v Marvellous Marvin Hagler 1985, listened to it on Radio but would have loved to have witnessed that.