Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

100 years today!

Fri May 03, 2024 12:57 pm

On 3rd May 100yrs ago city lost the division 1 title by 0.024 of a goal to Huddersfield.... city needed any win against Birmingham and Huddersfield needed to win by 3 goals against forest if City failed towin... we drew 0-0 city record scorer missed penalty on 70mins.... Huddersfield won 3-0 so won the title by smallest margin ever... also was 1st time goal average was used to decide position in league.... if was goal difference like today we would been champions ...

Re: 100 years today!

Fri May 03, 2024 1:11 pm

I remember being told that as a youngster by my uncle who introduced me to Cardiff City.Your not a proper fan if you don't know that fact he said. Bless him.

Fri May 03, 2024 1:32 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:I remember being told that as a youngster by my uncle who introduced me to Cardiff City.Your not a proper fan if you don't know that fact he said. Bless him.

Some people dont realise how remarkable some of clubs achievements have been considering we've never been classes as big!

Fri May 03, 2024 2:12 pm

Its crazy at that time, and it is probably a case of correlation is not causation but South Wales was booming in those days, we were literally Saudi Arabia of the post-Edwardian world.

The best coal in the world, being dug and exported in the biggest (by tonnage) port in the world, we were at certain levels a very rich area.

We suffered in the post-wall street crash depression and never really recovered as a club and region. Has anyone read any theories on our short-lived dominance to almost extinction?

Fri May 03, 2024 4:19 pm

Pembroke allan wrote:On 3rd May 100yrs ago city lost the Division 1 title by 0.024 of a goal to Huddersfield.... city needed any win against Birmingham and Huddersfield needed to win by 3 goals against Forest if City failed to win... we drew 0-0 city record scorer missed a penalty on 70mins.... Huddersfield won 3-0 so won the title by the smallest margin ever.... It also was 1st time goal average was used to decide position in the league.... if there was a goal difference like today we would been champions ...

We would both be plus 27GD. using today's method, but we scored one more goal than them, also if it was 3 points a win then Huddersfield would have had 80 points and us 79 points.

Sat May 04, 2024 10:55 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:I remember being told that as a youngster by my uncle who introduced me to Cardiff City.Your not a proper fan if you don't know that fact he said. Bless him.

Some people dont realise how remarkable some of clubs achievements have been considering we've never been classes as big!

I will hold my hands up on this one - It was news to me when the BBC - Rob Phillips talked about it yesterday .
This seems to have got hidden behind the 1927 glory :bluebird: