Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Rob Phillips says Tan approves Bulut contract talks “

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:06 pm

Updated:

It is no foregone conclusion just yet. While Bulut himself said after the defeat by Middlesbrough on Saturday that he hopes talks will be "positive" over what happens next, the manager wants assurances over what the future looks like next season.

Of course, having to wait this long for the owner to make a decision on him will be weighing on Bulut's mind as he and his representatives get around the table with the Cardiff decision-makers, while the manager's frustrations in the last two transfer windows have been clear to see.

Rob Phillips:

Cardiff City are looking to agree a new deal with manager Erol Bulut after Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan authorised contract talks.

Cardiff have opened discussions with Bulut, whose current deal expires at the end of the season.

Bulut signed a one-year contract when he took charge last June and has enjoyed a positive first campaign in Wales, leading a Cardiff side who finished one place above the Championship relegation zone last season to a comfortable mid-table finish.

The fact that Malaysian-based owner Tan has sanctioned contract negotiations is hugely significant, as he has the final say on such decisions.

It now seems a question of whether Cardiff can provide Bulut, 49, with assurances over the club's future plans.

Discussions are expected to be concluded one way or the other this week.

They are likely to revolve around what backing Bulut will receive in the transfer market this summer as well as possible off-the-field changes.

Cardiff were only able to sign players on loan or free transfers in last summer's transfer window because of an EFL embargo.

In January 2024, he had limited funds to play with because of profit and stability rules.

Speaking after Saturday's 4-1 Championship home defeat by Middlesbrough, Bulut said he hoped for "a positive outcome for both sides" amid ongoing uncertainty over his future.

"Everyone will know, I will know, the board will know, but it's up to the board," he said.

Bulut, chairman Mehmet Dalman and chief executive Ken Choo attended Cardiff's end-of-season awards dinner on Saturday night.

Dalman spearheaded the recruitment of Bulut last year and wants to ensure the club enjoy continuity and stability by giving the former Fenerbahce boss a new deal.

Despite the heavy defeat by Boro, Cardiff fans chanted in support of their manager.

Having had relegation worries for two successive seasons, the Welsh club are guaranteed a top-half finish this term.

They go into their final game of 2023-24, at Rotherham United next Saturday, in 12th place with 62 points.

Last week Bulut maintained the target of the club on his appointment was to ensure they were not relegated.

He also insisted he had been told Tan was "happy" with the club's progress.

Former Turkey Under-21 international Bulut had not coached outside his homeland before joining Cardiff.

He started his coaching career at Yeni Malatyaspor in 2017 before taking over at fellow Super Lig club Alanyaspor in 2019.

Bulut's Alanyaspor side were beaten finalists in the Turkish Cup in his one season at the helm.

He moved to Fenerbahce in the summer of 2020, but departed in March 2021 with his team third in the Turkish top flight.

Bulut was soon back in management with another Super Lig club, Gaziantep, where he was in charge for 18 months but left after a disappointing run of results in January 2023.

Born in Germany, Bulut had a nomadic playing career which featured spells with a numerous clubs including Eintracht Frankfurt, Fenerbahce - where he won a league title in 1995-96 -Trabzonspor, 1860 Munich, Olympiakos and Ukrainian side Metalurh Donetsk.

Re: “ Rob Phillips says Tan approves Bulut contract talks “

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:13 pm

Cardiff City are looking to agree a new deal with manager Erol Bulut after Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan authorised contract talks.

Cardiff have opened discussions with Bulut, whose current deal expires at the end of the season

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:13 pm

Tan has now green-lit the process of sitting around the table with Bulut to discuss him staying on as manager. It is a significant breakthrough for the club, most notably because no such decision was sanctioned last year when Sabri Lamouchi was allowed to leave at the end of his short-term deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

It is no foregone conclusion just yet. While Bulut himself said after the defeat by Middlesbrough on Saturday that he hopes talks will be "positive" over what happens next, the manager wants assurances over what the future looks like next season.

Of course, having to wait this long for the owner to make a decision on him will be weighing on Bulut's mind as he and his representatives get around the table with the Cardiff decision-makers, while the manager's frustrations in the last two transfer windows have been clear to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 pm

Thanks Annis - sounds positive in theory!

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:11 pm

Don’t be surprised if Bulut turns the contract down and walks!!

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:17 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Don’t be surprised if Bulut turns the contract down and walks!!

This

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:22 pm

Liles93 wrote:Thanks Annis - sounds positive in theory!

I hope so, your welcome

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:25 pm

Although I am pleased Tan has, at last, agreed to talks, I have to ask myself is this another ruse from Tan to say, 'we offered talks and Bulut turned us down'

Now is not the time to start talks but to conclude them. Is Tan hoping Bulut will walk as there is the chance he will.

Tan is the Circus at the club. He has his own agenda which doesn't seek to be in line with any sane Cardiff City fan, or football fan/connoisseurs in general

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:31 pm

It looks very much like money will be available to spend on players as long as we are within the FFP rules, which I understand we are well within. and if Vt wins his case the sky is the limit, whether he wants to spend a chunk of any win, is another matter. Gamble a chunk of any winnings on players, get promoted, then sell :laughing5:
One last thing Bulut want to bring his family over, so i would say for him to do that, a 2 year contract would be his minimun rerquirement. I would love him to stay with some money to spend, then I believe we will see much better attacking football :thumbup:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:38 pm

Igovernor wrote:It looks very much like money will be available to spend on players as long as we are within the FFP rules, which I understand we are well within. and if Vt wins his case the sky is the limit, whether he wants to spend a chunk of any win, is another matter. Gamble a chunk of any winnings on players, get promoted, then sell :laughing5:
One last thing Bulut want to bring his family over, so i would say for him to do that, a 2 year contract would be his minimun rerquirement. I would love him to stay with some money to spend, then I believe we will see much better attacking football :thumbup:

Exactly my thoughts I’m pretty sure he won’t settle for another 1 year contract

He’s no doubt been in talks with other clubs…he may well walk

Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 pm

Cmon besitkas. Come and get him

Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:20 pm

It’s great news that the wheels are finally in motion.

But as others have said, it’s not a deal yet.

Bulut would rather stay with us than go elsewhere. He has a good relationship with the core fan base and, like Nat Phillips, he is happy in the area.

But, like has been said above, he wants to move his family over here this summer. He doesn’t see any point in that if he’s just given a year’s contract. So he wants at least two years (let’s be honest, contract lengths don’t mean much so the club should agree to that).

He also wants to have a budget so that he can sign players good enough for us to have a proper push for the top six next season. If the club don’t match that ambition, then he won’t stay.

Don’t forget he nearly walked in January when they broke their promises to him, but stayed when they managed to get a few through the door at the end of the window.

He also wants to help coach these young players coming through and help their careers, he has a good relationship with all the team including the young players.

He already has a list of players he’s interested in.

Like I say, he wants to stay but they need to agree to all of this.

I think they should. What he’s asking for is not unreasonable. He understands the club will have to stay within the financial rules but he also knows they can do that but still spend a decent amount of money on improving the squad.

One thing is for sure, he won’t allow himself to be pushed around by Tan. Bulut is not a yes man.

I hope there’s good news on this as the week goes on.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:15 pm

Sorry to say it, but he’s bit the Bulut I think

Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:48 pm

On the fence not sure he's the man for us to get promoted but if he's given a new deal i will support him as our manager like any other.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:11 pm

[quote="wez1927"]On the fence not sure he's the man for us to get promoted but if he's given a new deal i will support him as our manager like any other.[/
I think he’s a better bet than who we may end up with (we’ve not got a great record of hiring good managers of late), just hope he’s backed and that will lead to a more positive style of play. :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 pm

I hope the final news is good.

If he gets a new contract and accepts it, then to me that says that Tan has provided assurances for the transfer windows and the plan for the club.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:57 pm

wez1927 wrote:On the fence not sure he's the man for us to get promoted but if he's given a new deal i will support him as our manager like any other.

I am also torn, I do think he is a good technician and will improve our league position, its just the most soulless, joyless version of the beautiful game i have witnessed in person

Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
wez1927 wrote:On the fence not sure he's the man for us to get promoted but if he's given a new deal i will support him as our manager like any other.

I am also torn, I do think he is a good technician and will improve our league position, its just the most soulless, joyless version of the beautiful game i have witnessed in person

Very harsh yet again, expect nothing less because of your agenda against Bulut.

Obvious to everyone we play the way we do because we don’t have the players to play an attacking style.

He’ll demand funds to build a top six team for next season for him to accept the contract.

If that happens, you’ll see a much better style and I will look forward to your apology to Bulut.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:02 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:

Obvious to everyone we play the way we do because we don’t have the players to play an attacking style.

He’ll demand funds to build a top six team for next season for him to accept the contract.

If that happens, you’ll see a much better style and I will look forward to your apology to Bulut.

:lol: :lol: Its an opinion not an agenda.... Darren Purse is an agenda :thumbup:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:15 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:

:lol: :lol: Its an opinion not an agenda.... Darren Purse is an agenda :thumbup:

If your autocorrect changed it from “Darren Purse is a failure”….

I can only agree :thumbright:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 pm

I’m on the fence about Bulut but compared to some of our recent managers he’s certainly earned a new contract and, as others have said, I don’t see any other obvious, realistic, options that would be an improvement on Bulut.

If he is able to get the players in to play the fast, high pressing style we started this season with then I think things could get quite exciting !

I don’t think him signing is a forgone conclusion. However, given some of his comments during the season, I would suggest that if he does sign he will have been pleased with the level of backing he’s been assured of which is encouraging for all of us.

One thing is for sure. Bulut is no “yes” man !!

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 pm

llan bluebird wrote:

Did you not watch Russell Slade's nil nil draws with zero shots?

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:

Not harsh. If he had more variations, adaptability than this soulless dreadful Turkish league tactic , just one other tactic, it would be something. Hes had tonnes of opportunities to prove he has other things in his locker. he hasnt. Its stubborn, rigid and easy for opponents to prepare for. We pay our money we deserve better. I like him, hes a good guy, all season I was egging him on to throw that egg in my face, nothing! A manager like this will not be a success particularly if funds are incoming. You need to be varied, spontaneous even, and prep on the training field to be that way, make it difficult for the opponent to prepare. How stubborn of him to stick with this boring set up, try just once losing the inverted wingers FFS the seasons over. Set pieces and derby wins have saved him. We dont need this kind of management, we can do better, and be entertained. And if he stays, he gets my support and my apology if he proves me wrong, I dont see it, Another season of a defensive midfield, no press or intensity, side to side passing, low bodies in the box, easy to spook with pressing, inverted wingers low shots on target and goals, No thank you

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:

Not harsh. If he had more variations, adaptability than this soulless dreadful Turkish league tactic , just one other tactic, it would be something. Hes had tonnes of opportunities to prove he has other things in his locker. he hasnt. Its stubborn, rigid and easy for opponents to prepare for. We pay our money we deserve better. I like him, hes a good guy, all season I was egging him on to throw that egg in my face, nothing! A manager like this will not be a success particularly if funds are incoming. You need to be varied, spontaneous even, and prep on the training field to be that way, make it difficult for the opponent to prepare. How stubborn of him to stick with this boring set up, try just once losing the inverted wingers FFS the seasons over. Set pieces and derby wins have saved him. We dont need this kind of management, we can do better, and be entertained. And if he stays, he gets my support and my apology if he proves me wrong, I dont see it, Another season of a defensive midfield, no press or intensity, side to side passing, low bodies in the box, easy to spook with pressing, inverted wingers low shots on target and goals, No thank you

Another harsh post but won’t bother arguing with you because you’re clearly biased against Bulut.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:59 pm

…Another season of a defensive midfield, no press or intensity, side to side passing, low bodies in the box, easy to spook with pressing, inverted wingers low shots on target and goals, No thank you.

Totally agree. :clap:
As soon as the opposition gets in our face and presses the ball we fall apart.
Our inability to do the same and reluctance to put bodies in the box will ultimately result in mediocrity again. We’ve ridden our luck this year with OGs and alike. I wouldn’t say it’s as bad as Slade but our ‘style’ if you can call it that is painful to watch. Nice guy or not he needs to go.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 pm

One way or another - this needs to be sorted out soon - so we have time to plan for next season :bluebird:

Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:56 am

tangledupinblue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:

Great post and most definitely not harsh mate. It's your opinion and I totally agree with you. Just because it's a different opinion to certain other posters it doesn't make it wrong. :thumbup:

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:34 am

So, I will wait for the clapping and cheering for Purse when he replaces EB.
Some need to be careful what they wish for and to upset some a tad more I hope whoever takes the job ditches sicknote Ramsey and O Dowda.

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:50 am

JulesK wrote:So, I will wait for the clapping and cheering for Purse when he replaces EB.
Some need to be careful what they wish for and to upset some a tad more I hope whoever takes the job ditches sicknote Ramsey and O Dowda.

Harsh! :laughing5: