Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Best British sportsman of all time? “

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 pm

Interesting debate at the moment.

I’m on the side of the argument that Ronnie O’Sullivan is the best British sportsman of all time.

He has a lot of issues and is mentally flawed.

But if he wins this year (I believe he will) then he will have more World titles than anyone in his sport.

He’s 48 and at the top of his sport. His longevity is unbelievable.

I honestly don’t see any argument that is against him?

Absolute legend and I really hope he wins over the next couple of weeks.

Re: “ Best British sportsman of all time? “

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:04 pm

Joe Davies won 15 World Snooker titles, twice as many as O'Sullivan.

Although I enjoy snooker I struggle to see snooker players as true sportsmen, with for me darts players also falling into this category.

I would argue that the most successful Olympian of all time would be a more worthy winner of the tile Best British Sportsman and that would be Sir Jason Kenny.

An interesting debate nevertheless.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 am

Can’t agree when as mentioned Fred Davies has won 15 world titles He not even the best British snooker player of all time.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

If it was possible, it would be good to compare stats of the players. How many century breaks did Joe Davis make etc? The fact that Ronnie can win games playing left handed sets him apart I think.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

Whilst it may not be a "sport" to some people, Phil Taylor has got to be in with a shout

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 am

Gerwyn price to have a professional career in rugby and then another one in darts and to be world champion at his second retirement career pretty phenomenal.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:58 am

When Joe Davis was winning his titles there were only about 8 top players involved in world championship.As the champion he was then straight through to next years final.
He must have been the best in his era, but modern players (there are 100s of pros around the world) have to qualify.to play with the top ranking players.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am

I would say without a shadow of doubt the greatest British Sportsman of all time is CB Fry, who not only represented England at football and cricket but also equalled the world long jump record. Puts into perspective the claims that a snooker or darts player should receive this accolade.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

Such a subjective discussion, where everyone is likely to have different views. Whilst the longevity of O’Sullivans career (and the fact he’s probably playing as well as ever) puts him right up there, it’s hard to look past the likes of Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart etc.

Take Stewart for example - to win 3 F1 world titles, in days like those, is an incredible achievement.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 pm

derynglas wrote:Such a subjective discussion, where everyone is likely to have different views. Whilst the longevity of O’Sullivans career (and the fact he’s probably playing as well as ever) puts him right up there, it’s hard to look past the likes of Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart etc.

Take Stewart for example - to win 3 F1 world titles, in days like those, is an incredible achievement.

Not being a F1 fan, I fail to understand why a driver should be considered a great sportsman when so much depends on the quality of the vehicle he's driving. With an athlete, footballer, swimmer for instance there is no dependency on machinery to get you to the top. You've either got it or you haven't.

I'm not having a go at your choice by the way as I know F1 has a very loyal following. Yes the drivers are brave and skilful at what they do but is it really a level playing field they are performing on ?

Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
derynglas wrote:Such a subjective discussion, where everyone is likely to have different views. Whilst the longevity of O’Sullivans career (and the fact he’s probably playing as well as ever) puts him right up there, it’s hard to look past the likes of Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart etc.

Not being a F1 fan, I fail to understand why a driver should be considered a great sportsman when so much depends on the quality of the vehicle he's driving. With an athlete, footballer, swimmer for instance there is no dependency on machinery to get you to the top. You've either got it or you haven't.

I'm not having a go at your choice by the way as I know F1 has a very loyal following. Yes the drivers are brave and skilful at what they do but is it really a level playing field they are performing on ?

It depends on when I suppose.

These days the red bull and merc have dominated and the cars have been so much better

Back then it was more even

Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Steve Redgrave 5 times Olympic rowing champion and we are comparing him to a snooker player?

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:09 pm

Eddie the eagle

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm

One criteria that possibly should be taken into consideration is whether they were the best in the world at what they did. Probably a reason why Andy Murray would miss out as he was only the world's 4th best even in his prime.

Strong favourites would be the likes of Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Sebastian Coe, Nick Faldo, Alistair Brownlee or even swimmer Adam Peaty who breaks world records for fun.

Purely subjective of course.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm

So much to be taken in to consideration...

Some sports you can compete just once a year at your physical peak. Some once a week!

Some only have trophy events every 4 years. Some every four weeks!

Some professional. Some on top of full time jobs!

Team sports. Individual sports.

I've tried to think of one I'd vote for. I genuinely can't.

Appreciate all sportspeople and the sacrifices most have to make to reach the top!

Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 pm

Leo fortune west

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

brickyblue wrote:Leo fortune west

Close the thread, this is the answer

Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:57 am

brickyblue wrote:Leo fortune west

Good answer :lol:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:08 am

Jackie Stewart was married to my uncles cousin………..so yeah probably him :D

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Interesting debate at the moment.

I’m on the side of the argument that Ronnie O’Sullivan is the best British sportsman of all time.

He has a lot of issues and is mentally flawed.

But if he wins this year (I believe he will) then he will have more World titles than anyone in his sport.

He’s 48 and at the top of his sport. His longevity is unbelievable.

I honestly don’t see any argument that is against him?

Absolute legend and I really hope he wins over the next couple of weeks.

If you can play it in slippers, it’s not a sport.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:

That’s the beauty of a forum though isn’t it, the debates between members :thumbright:. I think back then it was just different… as morbid as it sounds, to even survive a long term career in F1 back then was an achievement.

Though, in light of the Leo Fortune-West suggestion, we can definitely consider this thread closed!

Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:45 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Steve Redgrave 5 times Olympic rowing champion and we are comparing him to a snooker player?

Don’t forget The 9 world championship golds as well

Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 pm

Ronnie O’Sullivan won again today to reach his 22nd World Championship Quarter Final at the age of 48 years old.

Just saying.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:09 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Ronnie O’Sullivan won again today to reach his 22nd World Championship Quarter Final at the age of 48 years old.

Just saying.

Nick Skelton won an Equestrian gold medal at the Rio Olympics AGED 58. Just saying !

Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:42 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Ronnie O’Sullivan won again today to reach his 22nd World Championship Quarter Final at the age of 48 years old.

Just saying.

Nick Skelton won an Equestrian gold medal at the Rio Olympics AGED 58. Just saying !

How many gold medals did he win?

Ronnie, who has had immense trauma in his life, is going for an 8th.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 pm

Are snooker and dart sports or pastimes?

Roger Bannister broke a record but changed what humans thought was possible and he was an amateur.

Franke Dettori...joking, Lester Piggot

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Are snooker and dart sports or pastimes?

Roger Bannister broke a record but changed what humans thought was possible and he was an amateur.

I would argue that Ronnie has changed the game of Snooker - whether you see it as a Sport or not.

Stephen Hendry says he’s taken the game to new levels and I agree.

I honestly doubt there will ever be a snooker player as good as Ronnie O’Sullivan.

To that end, has anyone changed a Sport like he has changed Snooker? I’m not sure.

Certainly nobody else has achieved being the best at their sport for 30 years.

Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:19 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Are snooker and dart sports or pastimes?

I would argue that Ronnie has changed the game of Snooker - whether you see it as a Sport or not.

Stephen Hendry says he’s taken the game to new levels and I agree.

I honestly doubt there will ever be a snooker player as good as Ronnie O’Sullivan.

To that end, has anyone changed a Sport like he has changed Snooker? I’m not sure.

Certainly nobody else has achieved being the best at their sport for 30 years.

I don't see how O'Sullivan has changed snooker. He's excelled at it but not pioneered a new way of playing. Someone that did change a sport was Dick Fosbury in the high jump. Because of the Fosbury flop, heights that would have been impossible using the straddle technique can now be attained.

Snooker is a game where longevity is not unusual. As said previously Joe Davis falls into this category and he remained unbeaten at World Championships. If it hadn't been for the Second World War he too would have been at the top for about 30 years.

Due to the physicality of ball sports, athletics, swimming, boxing rowing, cycling etc nobody could realistically be expected to be No.1 for any more than about 10-15 years max.

So, while not wishing to demean O'Sullivan's achievements, they have to be put into perspective when compared to those achieved in other more physically demanding sports.

Wed May 01, 2024 12:14 pm

Joe Calzaghe for me. Biased reasons. Flying our great flag after completing boxing and retiring with a '0' will not be done again in my lifetime.

- 120 Amateur fights. 110 wins. 10 defeats.
- 46 Pro fights. 46 Pro Wins.
- Unified Super Middleweight Champion
- First ever Super Middleweight Ring Champion
- Two Weight Ring Champion (Super Mid & Light Heavy)
- Hall of Fame Inductee

Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 pm

No 8th title for O’Sullivan this year as he loses in the quarter final.

I didn’t pick the right year to post this thread :lol: