Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Joel Colwill “

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:04 pm

Colwill sticks his hand up for Championship debut

Joel Colwill has sent Erol Bulut a timely reminder that he is champing at the bit to make his Championship debut.

Colwill, 19, has seen his academy contemporaries, Cian Ashford, Luey Giles and Raheem Conte, all make their first-team debuts in recent weeks – and he is likely desperate to get in on the action.

Well, after being an unused substitute nine times in the Championship this season, the 19-year-old turned out a five-star display against Peterborough United for the under-21s yesterday. Sign up to our Cardiff City newsletter here.

Colwill scored twice and and set up one as the Bluebirds routed Posh 5-1 at Cardiff City Stadium. A mention must go to Tanatswa Nyakuhwa, 18, who has also had an impressive season and also scored two in the triumph at CCS yesterday.

Interestingly, though, with regards to Colwill, he scored two and assisted one before being pulled at half time.

The last under-21s player to score twice in a midweek under-21s game? Cian Ashford against Birmingham under-21s last week – before he made his full debut and proved the match-winner against Southampton for the first team on Saturday.

Re: “ Joel Colwill “

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:12 pm

High hopes for him.

I’ve been impressed when I’ve seen him play a few times but I hear he’s expected to be better than his brother.

I’m sure he’ll get his chance on Saturday or at Rotherham.

Ashford, Conte and Giles all did well against Southampton so hopefully Joel Colwill takes his chance too.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:21 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:High hopes for him.

I’ve been impressed when I’ve seen him play a few times but I hear he’s expected to be better than his brother.

I’m sure he’ll get his chance on Saturday or at Rotherham.

Ashford, Conte and Giles all did well against Southampton so hopefully Joel Colwill takes his chance too.

Ned,

To be honest I am so impressed with Joel Colwill, I thought he would play in first team games months ago

I really hope he plays on Saturday.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm

Just watched the Under 21 highlights and was gobsmacked. There were many who played well but Joel Colwill stood out - two goals and one assist was it? I don't see why Bulut shouldn't give the lad a role in the game from the bench. Imagine - the brothers combine to score a goal that wins the game - 'Roy of the Rovers Style'. Lots of praise must be heaped on Darren Purse who has helped them to a five match unbeaten run. I feel optimistic for City at the moment and would be even more so if Tan decides to keep Bulut or employs someone with a higher pedigree. But I like Bulut so would want to see him stay. Give the man a chance ffs.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:11 pm

i watched lots of u21s this season, this lad has it all he really do.

hes strong can dribble eye for a pass and he has a great finish, if we look after him and give him a chance we are going to have a player of the highest level. i rate him hes a player i really want to see play a massive part next season

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 pm

Good Luck To The Lad :bluebird:

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:01 am

I hope he gets a chance, the seasons over at least give him half an hour, we need to play as many as we can to give them experience and a taste for it, and have them desperate to improve over the summer and play next season.