Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Significant Stats from a Strange Season

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 pm

Erol Bulut’s Cardiff City side has now gone 30 league games without beating an opponent by two or more goals, and it’s been no less than 31 matches since the Bluebirds last scored three or more goals in a Championship fixture. Those stats are genuinely odd when you consider the team has been sitting in a comfortable mid-table position for almost the entirety of the 2023/24 campaign.

By contrast, City have been defeated by two or more goals on 12 occasions in the last 30 league games, including by the likes of Swansea, Millwall and Plymouth, while opposition sides have managed to score three or more goals against the Bluebirds on seven occasions during that period.

For context, the only team in the top five divisions of English football who are currently on a longer run of league games without a victory by two or more goals are relegated Rotherham United (32), who sit rock bottom of the Championship.

If my calculations are correct, City’s current run of 30 league matches without a victory by two or more goals is the fourth-longest during a single season in the club’s entire Football League history. The only campaigns in which the Bluebirds had longer runs were:

1) The dreadful 1997/98 season, when a City team managed at various intervals by Russell Osman, Kenny Hibbitt and Frank Burrows finished 21st in the old Third Division (now League Two), having drawn a staggering 23 of their 46 matches. That side played 31 league games without registering a victory by two or more goals before beating Mansfield Town 4-1 in mid-February.

2) The 1961/62 relegation campaign, when a City team managed by Bill Jones dropped into the Second Division after finishing 21st in the top flight. That season included a dismal run of 33 league games without a victory by two or more goals between mid-September and late-April.

3) The woeful 1980/81 season. After beating Orient 4-2 at Ninian Park in late-August, Richie Morgan’s Bluebirds went the rest of the campaign without recording another victory by two or more goals - a club-record run of 38 league games. The side eventually finished 19th in the old Second Division and avoided relegation only by virtue of having a better goal difference than Preston.

As for the current run of 31 league games without scoring three or more goals, I believe that is the joint second-longest sequence in a single season in the club’s history, tied with the 31 games recorded by the 1997/98 side.

The identity of the Cardiff City team that holds the current record of going 32 matches in a single season without scoring three or more goals in a league game is a surprise to say the least. Amazingly, the 2008/09 promotion-chasing City side managed by Dave Jones and featuring the likes of Jay Bothroyd, Ross McCormack and Michael Chopra failed to score three goals in a game until beating Barnsley 3-1 at Ninian Park in the first week of March. However, the comparison with the current Bluebirds team ends there, as the class of 2008/09 had won 2-0 on six occasions by that stage and hadn’t been beaten by two or more goals by anyone apart from Arsenal in an FA Cup replay.

Plenty of City fans are seemingly incredulous that there are those who would like to see the back of Erol Bulut considering the team’s current position in the Championship, particularly following last season’s struggles, but I think the stats I’ve highlighted above underline the reasoning. In general, the sterile, unadventurous style of football Bulut and his side have favoured for much of this season has been tedious to watch to put it mildly, and I don’t think anyone could realistically argue otherwise. After all, even some of the very worst sides in the club’s long history managed to win the occasional game by two or more goals, or score three goals in a game once in a while.

Whether the manager’s boring football is reason enough to terminate his contract is obviously a matter for debate, but the fact remains that a decision on his future will be made by an old man in Malaysia (if it hasn’t already), and no amount of stats or anything any of us say about Bulut is going to make so much as a scrap of difference to Vincent Tan’s thinking.

Re: Significant Stats from a Strange Season

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:44 pm

I'd like to see a more attacking team, however, I don't really care if we win by 1 or by 12.

If we won every game in the league 1-0 we would be promoted unbeaten, as champions.

Would you still be unhappy?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 pm

Great point we also win the fa and league cup

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:If we won every game in the league 1-0 we would be promoted unbeaten, as champions. Would you still be unhappy?

I'd much rather City win every game 5-3 and get promoted unbeaten as champions. It would be a lot more exciting than winning 1-0 every week and no less likely.

Thing is, City haven't been winning 1-0 every week. They've been getting beaten 2-0 and 3-1 quite regularly.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 am

The Lone Gunman wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:If we won every game in the league 1-0 we would be promoted unbeaten, as champions. Would you still be unhappy?

I'd much rather City win every game 5-3 and get promoted unbeaten as champions. It would be a lot more exciting than winning 1-0 every week and no less likely.

Thing is, City haven't been winning 1-0 every week. They've been getting beaten 2-0 and 3-1 quite regularly.

I’d imagine under 2 pts for a win would probably see us relegated :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

One pleasing thing about this season is the amount of times we've come back from a losing position to win or draw games, and also the amount of late goals we've scored. Means we have a team that fights until the final whistle.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:15 pm

Don Keydick wrote:One pleasing thing about this season is the amount of times we've come back from a losing position to win or draw games, and also the amount of late goals we've scored. Means we have a team that fights until the final whistle.

Agree and let’s be honest the only stats that matter are points attained

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:39 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:
The Lone Gunman wrote:

We would not be anywhere near relegation in fact we be in same position as we are now

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:47 pm

Abergavenny wrote:
Mr Ducie wrote:
The Lone Gunman wrote:

We would not be anywhere near relegation in fact we be in same position as we are now

You have worked it out have you ?

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 pm

These facts are driven by our lack of firepower up front.

I honestly believe if we had a decent goal scorer this thread would have never appeared.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:52 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:
Mr Ducie wrote:
The Lone Gunman wrote:

I did have a quick calculation yes and nowhere near relegation

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:59 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:These facts are driven by our lack of firepower up front.

I honestly believe if we had a decent goal scorer this thread would have never appeared.

Exactly we've done well considering we couldn't afford and buy a better Striker.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 pm

We all know this and the Hierarchy know this, for years now and until they bring a proven , Quality Striker in, what we’ve achieved this season won’t improve.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:09 pm

Very interesting stats, thanks for posting.

I agree with others, this is due to the fact there has been limited investment in our attacking positions.

But I would also say there are things that back up my view Bulut should deserve to stay.

He has had limited funds but has us almost certainly finishing in the top half.

Win our last two and we’ll finish in the top ten.

It’s the first time we’ve passed the 60 point mark in three years.

We have won nine away games, which is strong. Admittedly need to improve the home form, but that’s been an issue long before Bulut came in.

We are near the top of the form table over the last 11/12 games.

I’m very much someone who wants Bulut to stay so I’m just saying there’s arguments on either side.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:11 pm

Dave Ala TLG

Much appreciated and always interesting.

Look forward to many more of your Topics.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:01 pm

Very interesting post.
It's significant that the goalscoring stat compares unfavourable with some awful relegation sides.

I have to say at times this season it has been like watching a relegation team with the tedious football and lack of goals or attacking threat.

I too would rather see us win matches 3-2 than hope to scrape a win from a set piece or get a last second winner. In fact, I want to be entertained with incisive attacking play and not on the defensive every match.

Agree that a decent marksman this season might well have rendered this post obsolete.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:54 pm

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:Very interesting post.
It's significant that the goalscoring stat compares unfavourable with some awful relegation sides.

I have to say at times this season it has been like watching a relegation team with the tedious football and lack of goals or attacking threat.

I too would rather see us win matches 3-2 than hope to scrape a win from a set piece or get a last second winner. In fact, I want to be entertained with incisive attacking play and not on the defensive every match.

Agree that a decent marksman this season might well have rendered this post obsolete.

Unfortunately don't think can speculate on what "IF" had decent striker because undoubtedly we wouldn't have played same way, I say this because top striker in country certainly on championship with 31 goals plays for Blackburn near bottom league .. but it is about getting goals that's for sure as mckays promotion team had 4 or 5 players top scoring with around 9 goals each... having said that a proven goalscorer should be top priority in summer whoever is manager.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:

Arsenal have/had their 1-0 to the Arsenal in the good old days - which Won them the League ( points make prizes ) ;)
Back to to Cardiff - Malkey's team = No player got 10 goals or more ...And we went up to the promised land .. :thumbup:

Thank God - we only had 1 manager this season than the 3 or 4 we had last season :shock:

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:00 am

The Lone Gunman wrote:

Exactly this LG, and the reason personally, I would change, he's not done enough with a more than capable squad, if used correctly. Another season of sideways, back, crab football, no patterns of play at
home would just about finish many off. In a costly entertainment business, financial crisis, it would surely be a major worry at the gate.
The sizzle is alot better than the sausage for me. I'd rather take exciting 4-3's in the championship, than getting hammered
week in week out in the premiere league. When the Super League eventually comes, that will be the time to step on the gas, get promotion in a more even field.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 am

Wiggy wrote:
The Lone Gunman wrote:

Exactly this LG, and the reason personally, I would change, he's not done enough with a more than capable squad, if used correctly. Another season of sideways, back, crab football, no patterns of play at
home would just about finish many off. In a costly entertainment business, financial crisis, it would surely be a major worry at the gate.
The sizzle is alot better than the sausage for me. I'd rather take exciting 4-3's in the championship, than getting hammered
week in week out in the premiere league. When the Super League eventually comes, that will be the time to step on the gas, get promotion in a more even field.

You've quickly forgotten where we were last May, saved from relegation only because of other club's points deductions, in a transfer embargo with our three best players gone.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

We could have Diazz and Kane in there most games and not create!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:40 am

Bluebina wrote:You've quickly forgotten where we were last May, saved from relegation only because of other club's points deductions, in a transfer embargo with our three best players gone.

I've seen the 'three best players gone' line used on a regular basis on the other board in recent months, but didn't Perry Ng win the Player of the Year award last season? He's still here, isn't he?

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:48 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Arsenal have/had their 1-0 to the Arsenal in the good old days - which Won them the League ( points make prizes

Back to to Cardiff - Malkey's team = No player got 10 goals or more ...And we went up to the promised land .

In what season did Arsenal win the league while only winning games by a single goal?

As Malky's team, the goals were certainly shared out among the team, but that side recorded victories by 3-0 (x 3), 4-0, 3-1 and 4-1. There's no realistic comparison with the current side.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:51 am

The Lone Gunman wrote:
Bluebina wrote:You've quickly forgotten where we were last May, saved from relegation only because of other club's points deductions, in a transfer embargo with our three best players gone.

I've seen the 'three best players gone' line used on a regular basis on the other board in recent months, but didn't Perry Ng win the Player of the Year award last season? He's still here, isn't he?

Yes he is. But Player of the Year at CCFC in a relegation side is no guarantee of quality.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:55 am

rumpo kid wrote:Yes he is. But Player of the Year at CCFC in a relegation side is no guarantee of quality.

So you reckon Ng was voted as Player of the Year by the fans and Player of the Year by the players (he won both awards), but he wasn't one of the best three players last season?

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

The Lone Gunman wrote:

Good point that's true, three of the best then, two were a big loss where we needed them, Philogene creativity, Kaba's work rate, and goals, Kipre was eventually less of a loss McGuiness was pretty good and Phillips is as good as possibly better?

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:41 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:
Mr Ducie wrote:
The Lone Gunman wrote:

We would be 12th in the table with the same points as Bristol but their goal difference of plus 4 against our minus 11 takes them above us

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Yes he is. But Player of the Year at CCFC in a relegation side is no guarantee of quality.

So you reckon Ng was voted as Player of the Year by the fans and Player of the Year by the players (he won both awards), but he wasn't one of the best three players last season?

No I didn't say that. The point made was that the overall quality of that side was poor hence why it was relegated but for a technicality. He was just the best of a poor bunch.
The thread criticised the sterile football under EB, unfairly imo considering the low starting point, and the absence of Ramsey and O''Dowda for most of the season.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:49 pm

Bluebina wrote:Good point that's true, three of the best then, two were a big loss where we needed them, Philogene creativity, Kaba's work rate, and goals, Kipre was eventually less of a loss McGuiness was pretty good and Phillips is as good as possibly better?

I think Philogene's role in the side last season tends to get overrated in retrospect. I loved watching him play when he was on form, he was a rare creative talent in a drab side, but the truth is he only started 25 of the 46 league matches and had plenty of games where he was either ineffective or anonymous.

As for Kaba, he scored some vital goals without ever looking that good. He had a real purple patch while he was here, which was a godsend under the circumstances, but the fact that he's managed to score just one goal for Las Palmas in La Liga this season (and that was against the bottom side) gives an indication of his abilities.

Would he have scored many goals in this side given the way in which Bulut sets up? I doubt it. He was usually playing alongside Etete or Wickham under Lamouchi. I don't think he'd have fared so well as a lone striker.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:57 pm

rumpo kid wrote:No I didn't say that. The point made was that the overall quality of that side was poor hence why it was relegated but for a technicality. He was just the best of a poor bunch.

The thread criticised the sterile football under EB, unfairly imo considering the low starting point, and the absence of Ramsey and O''Dowda for most of the season.

It's interesting that you apparently think last season's side were a poor bunch, and yet you also reckon Bulut has been unfortunate to be without O'Dowda for most of the season. After all, he was a regular last season (when fit).

I'm not sure where the myth that O'Dowda is some sort of top-quality player by this division's standards has come from (and I'm not saying that's what you necessarily think - it's just something I've read on the message boards regularly since he's been out injured). In reality, O'Dowda has never been anything more than an average player by Championship standards. Indeed, Bowler has scored more goals this season than O'Dowda did last.