Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Raheem Conte and Luey Giles “

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 am

Raheem Conte and Luey Giles have spoken of their pride and their emotion following their Championship bows for the club against Southampton.

The two full-backs were introduced from the bench on Saturday and performed admirably against stellar opposition. Indeed Conte played a part in the Bluebirds' equaliser, getting the team right back in the contest they would eventually go on to win in dramatic fashion.

RAHEEM CONTE:

“It was a good moment for me," Conte said. “It’s a really proud day for me and my family. To come on and make a difference was a pleasure. I had a bit of a rumble in my belly when the gaffer called me over and I was putting my shirt on, but once I got on the pitch, I just played to my strengths and had belief in myself.”

“I’m proud of my performance. Throughout my career, I’ve played in many different positions, so it was just about playing to those attributes. The stadium was bouncing. The crowd were amazing. When you’re playing, you block out the noise and focus on the game, but after the final whistle, you soak it in.”

LUEY GILES

On the opposite flank, Giles also made his mark on the game and said for a homegrown Cardiff fan it doesn't get much better. Coming on for makeshift left-back Ollie Tanner, he did his job well.

“It feels absolutely amazing," he said. “For a Cardiff boy, it’s a dream come true for me and my family. When I saw Ollie go down, you never like to see that, but I knew there was a chance for me to come on. My heart was going a bit, but as soon as I got on the pitch, it was OK. It made it easier having other academy lads playing, especially having Cian (Ashford) on my side, because I know how he plays.

"I’m really proud. I feel like I did well when I came on, did my job defensively and contributed going forward, so I’m pleased with that. It was a great experience for me. Coming up against Southampton, who are fighting for promotion, to get the three points is massive for us.

“It just topped it off. Celebrating in front of the fans really meant a lot to me. The atmosphere was great. I’m really thankful to the fans for coming out and supporting us. I feel like they really helped us to get the win. This year has been a really positive season for the academy. There’s been a great pathway for us, so it’s been a brilliant year.”

Re: “ Raheem Conte and Luey Giles “

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:35 pm

Well done to both of them.

Done themselves proud

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:Well done to both of them.

Done themselves proud

Yes they both played really well and of course Ashford too. A very proud day for the 3 of them. Hope they get more minutes in our last two games and Joel Colwill too.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:51 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:Well done to both of them.

Done themselves proud

Yes they both played really well and of course Ashford too. A very proud day for the 3 of them. Hope they get more minutes in our last two games and Joel Colwill too.

Spot On .