Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I BEAT CANCER

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am

Guys, I would like to share my story with you all but this week I beat cancer.

I was diagnosed with it the first week in January. I finally went under the surgeons knife this Tuesday 16th April at 2pm. Everything went smoothly and now I am in recovery stage NOT requiring any after treatment like chemo or radio rays.

The last couple of months I have had 2 pre-ops. One pre-op was to confirm I had cancer and another pre-op was to check if I had cancer somewhere else after it was picked up after an X-Ray. While I waited for the results of these pre-ops the pain intensified quite a lot resulting in me not being able to walk much. So what a relief it was when I was told I was being operated on the Tuesday 16th April.

I was meant to be put to sleep for the operation but when they tested my blood levels my sugar was too high they decided to give me a seductive instead. So I was under the impression I was going to be half asleep, half awake for the one hour 15 minute operation. I can't say I was comfortable with that. I need not worry.

I sat on the operating bed/table where they told me they were going to inject the sedative into my hand then they were going to inject the local anesthesic into my back that would numb the area where the cancer was. Before they applied the sedative one of the Consultants told me it would be like drinking a couple of pints. Well I would like to know what he drinks because the next thing I knew was being wheeled out of the theatre and into the recovery ward.

Ending on a lighter note the while I was being wheeled out the Consultant told me everything went smooth. Now I don't know why I said this to him but I asked "Did Cardiff win". He relied "Yes Cardiff won". So there you have it guys but on Tuesday 16th April Cardiff played a football game and won and if anyone wants to disagree with me on that I'm going to have none of it.

Re: I BEAT CANCER

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am

Absolutely fantastic news mate! Biggest win of the season that.

I hate the big C and I'm really glad you kicked it's ass

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 am

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Well done! Life will taste a bit sweeter from now on, I bet! :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 am

Great news mate. Really cheered me up after reading that. :thumbup:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am

Fantastic mate, congratulations it's nice to hear some good news for a change :thumbup: :occasion5:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 am

Best news of the day by far. You must be on cloud nine. The boys will beat Southampton tomorrow for you as their present. But if they don’t it doesn’t really matter considering your news.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:37 am

Best news of the day by far. You must be on cloud nine. The boys will beat Southampton tomorrow for you as their present. But if they don’t it doesn’t really matter considering your news.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 am

Fantastic news mate, get your recovery sorted now and push on :thumbup: :occasion5: :bluescarf:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 am

Amazing news!! :)

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am

That’s awsome mate , all the best for the future and many many more years to come down the city, :occasion5: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:52 am

That's amazing news mate, I'm really happy for you.

My wife beat cancer 2 years ago so I know and understand your recent journey.

Now is your time to relax and look forward :thumbup:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am

Well done mate. Thanks for sharing. Inspirational.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 am

Absolutely brilliant news Ian.

Congratulations :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 am

In 2008 I lost a mate to this dreaded disease, he was 33.

So when I read stories like this it gives me a lot of comfort knowing that people are also beating it too.

Thanks for sharing your journey Ian, all the best with your recovery and for the future. :thumbup:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:24 am

I love to hear stories like this ….. brilliant
Congratulations
Stay strong and eat well

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:32 am

Great News Mate...Well Done and all the best going forwards!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:08 pm

Ian, My Friend, I am so Happy for you and your girls.

God Bless you and your family.

You have stayed strong through all this.

See you next season Bluebird

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm

Great news fellow Bluebird.
I went through this in 1/1/16 had op then 8 days in hospital,managed to watch City play about month later.
Then 6 months chemo.
In August i did a charity walk for Cancer,three days later i got the ALL CLEAR
I went outside in car park and was jumping up down as if i had scored for City in a cup final.
Best wishes and enjoy your life. :bluebird:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Guys, I would like to share my story with you all but this week I beat cancer.

I was diagnosed with it the first week in January. I finally went under the surgeons knife this Tuesday 16th April at 2pm. Everything went smoothly and now I am in recovery stage NOT requiring any after treatment like chemo or radio rays.

The last couple of months I have had 2 pre-ops. One pre-op was to confirm I had cancer and another pre-op was to check if I had cancer somewhere else after it was picked up after an X-Ray. While I waited for the results of these pre-ops the pain intensified quite a lot resulting in me not being able to walk much. So what a relief it was when I was told I was being operated on the Tuesday 16th April.

I was meant to be put to sleep for the operation but when they tested my blood levels my sugar was too high they decided to give me a seductive instead. So I was under the impression I was going to be half asleep, half awake for the one hour 15 minute operation. I can't say I was comfortable with that. I need not worry.

I sat on the operating bed/table where they told me they were going to inject the sedative into my hand then they were going to inject the local anesthesic into my back that would numb the area where the cancer was. Before they applied the sedative one of the Consultants told me it would be like drinking a couple of pints. Well I would like to know what he drinks because the next thing I knew was being wheeled out of the theatre and into the recovery ward.

Ending on a lighter note the while I was being wheeled out the Consultant told me everything went smooth. Now I don't know why I said this to him but I asked "Did Cardiff win". He relied "Yes Cardiff won". So there you have it guys but on Tuesday 16th April Cardiff played a football game and won and if anyone wants to disagree with me on that I'm going to have none of it.

Amazing!! Had a false scare last year myself . Thank you for sharing such awesome news!!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 pm

Well done mate, good to hear positive news :clap:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm

Great news Bloooobird

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm

:occasion5:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm

This really does bring everything into reality - as to what is important and what really is not

I am so pleased for you and your family. This is great news!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:32 pm

Great news m8, definitely THE BEST RESULT OF THE SEASON All the best onwards and upwards now m8

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm

Ian absolutely brilliant news, great to hear mate.
Upward and onward for you and your family :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 pm

Great news Baked, congratulations. :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 pm

Great news,onwards and upwards :occasion5:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm

I don't know you but absolutely brilliant news have a fantastic life bluebird!!!!!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm

I don't know you but we'll done from one who beat it as well

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 pm

Excellent news, well chuffed for you buddy. Good health and look after yourself.